1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

If Rembrandt had ever painted a Canberra err...it would have been unrecognisable under a thick layer of oil paint. By contrast Bill you've favoured this with a most pukka demonstration of modulation and restraint. I salute your colouration!

Tony

• Like 5

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking gorgeous Bill, an exemplar of variation and subtle panel lines. Gorgeous :) 

Thanks, Ced. I'm still in a quandary about what to do with the panel lines. Those on the wing could use to be toned down a bit, but those on the fuselage need a little perking up. I've been experimenting with a mix using different ratios of Flory Dark Dirt and Light Dirt. I've painted the wheel wells and flap areas white, and also the ruddy brown on the RWR thingys. Next up is a Future gloss coat, and then I'll test my "Less Than Dark But More Than Light Dirt" wash.  I added a drop or two of wash up soap to aid in removing it if I don't like it. 

14 hours ago, giemme said:

As for the panel lines wash, I'd use some Extra Dark Carbon Black .... :rofl:  Just kidding :whistle: 

Tar wasn't dark enough for you? Geesh, you just can't please some folks! Seriously, it's amazing how many models you see with a black wash in the panel lines. I don't understand that, myself, unless it's on something like EDSG. But I saw it on a white TSR.2 once...ugh! 

14 hours ago, canberra kid said:

She's looking good to me Bill

If it looks good to John, then I must be on the right path. There's no better Arbiter of Cranberry-ness than John!   :) 

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looks great in paint

Don't we all? Thanks, Roger. (That's my middle name by the way.) 

12 hours ago, perdu said:

What a delight this is Bill, one of those "I do not want to see it finish" pleasures we get in here

And rather wonderful for Ashley to be aboard too, two great artists together in a build

Well, I hope it ends! I have other work to do! I just want to make sure that I don't disappoint Ashley. 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

If Rembrandt had ever painted a Canberra err...it would have been unrecognisable under a thick layer of oil paint. By contrast Bill you've favoured this with a most pukka demonstration of modulation and restraint. I salute your colouration!

If Rembrandt painted a Canberra, would King Crimson have written a song about it? (apologies to The Night Watch)

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely. Lovely, lovely, lovely, lovely. Did I mention I think she's lovely Bill?

I thought you guys said loverly...       :door:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

Wow.  I've got to add my voice to the general appreciation of that colour modulation Bill.

The eye and hand of an artist at work there.

I don't have fixed position in the perennial debate about modulation/washes/weathering - cos just as I like both Durer and Rothko it seems to me that beautiful work is beautiful work - but If I'd pulled off that effect I'd be exploding with self satisfaction (it's just par for the course in a Bill build obviously :)).

Go easy on that there panel wash (Apprentice gives the Master advice :blush:) - although for what it's worth I do think the idea of a wash of slightly darker base colour is the way to go (I've been pleased with the effect of using a darker red over a red finish).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

If Rembrandt painted a Canberra, would King Crimson have written a song about it? (apologies to The Night Watch)

Ah. Starless and Bible-Black. Always knew you were a good egg Bill. I still have that on vinyl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

No Bill it's 'there's lovely' or 'lush' if you're in Cardiff.... you know it's just 'by there' and Kieth will be there 'now in a minute' :) 

Rob

Well I could have said it was 'well tidy mun', but I thought I'd write posh like...! !:tease:

And who's coat is that jacket?

Keith

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rob85 said:

No Bill it's 'there's lovely' or 'lush' if you're in Cardiff.... you know it's just 'by there' and Kieth will be there 'now in a minute' :) 

Yes, right, exactly.     :wonder:

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

I don't have fixed position in the perennial debate about modulation/washes/weathering - cos just as I like both Durer and Rothko it seems to me that beautiful work is beautiful work - but If I'd pulled off that effect I'd be exploding with self satisfaction (it's just par for the course in a Bill build obviously :)).

Go easy on that there panel wash (Apprentice gives the Master advice :blush:) - although for what it's worth I do think the idea of a wash of slightly darker base colour is the way to go (I've been pleased with the effect of using a darker red over a red finish).

Absolutely - I'm a firm believer that any panel line wash was to be a somewhat darker version of the colour that is already there. Sometimes this means that a single panel line may get a different wash in different areas (due to camo demarcation, etc.). Sounds really odd, but it seems to work. Panel lines are basically shadows, and shadows are rarely black.

Durer, eh? As in Albrecht? Good man!    :yes:

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ah. Starless and Bible-Black. Always knew you were a good egg Bill. I still have that on vinyl.

Great, someone got the reference! I recently got all of the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series DVDs in 5.1 - I have to play them on the Blu-Ray that's hooked up to my TV. They sound amazing. My cousin's husband was John Wetton's manager - he was an incredible talent. Rest in peace, John. Gawd, I hate cancer. 

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Well I could have said it was 'well tidy mun', but I thought I'd write posh like...! !:tease:

And who's coat is that jacket?

I love you guys!     :lol:

I added the satellite navigation pieces to the top of the spine, along with the two blade antennae. I think she's ready for a clear gloss coat!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Great, someone got the reference! I recently got all of the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series DVDs in 5.1 - I have to play them on the Blu-Ray that's hooked up to my TV. They sound amazing. My cousin's husband was John Wetton's manager - he was an incredible talent. Rest in peace, John. Gawd, I hate cancer.

They've not lost their interest for me either. RIP JW indeed....

I got to see Fripp in the flesh once. He was playing in a cow-shed at the first Womad Festival down in Somerset, back in 1982. I'd gone to see Peter Gabriel but that exposure to 'Frippertronics' had me hooked. IIRC he did some excerpts from Let The Power Fall, though my memory is hazy...for various reasons....

Tony

• Like 2

King Crimson is headlining the Rochester NY Jazz Festival this year in my home town. I wouldn't exactly call their music jazz, but I understand the reasoning. I've got my tickets already. June 30. I saw them in Toronto in 2015 (the seven-headed beast of Crim) but now it's the eight-headed beast. They have four drummers now, as three was, well, not enough.

I was also fortunate to see the Wetton/Cross/Bruford edition in 1974 as well as the Thrak edition in 1996. Tony Levin went to the Eastman School of Music here in Rochester, then played cello in the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra prior to joining Peter Gabriel. So he's kind of a home-town boy. I went to a Frippertronics gig once which was just Robert. Prior to the show, I got to listen to him slurp his soup in the restaurant. The craziest, though, was seeing The League of Gentlemen in NYC, although I admit I spent all of my time looking at Sara Lee, not Robert. Ah, those were the days...I just can't remember when it was. 1979 maybe? 

Lastly, I just saw the Adrian Belew Power Trio in Buffalo a week ago. He played some Crimson stuff, but it's pretty obvious that he's miffed about getting sacked from King Crimson. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The craziest, though, was seeing The League of Gentlemen in NYC, although I admit I spent all of my time looking at Sara Lee, not Robert. Ah, those were the days...I just can't remember when it was. 1979 maybe? 

Bill

Now we'ere talking!  we will be moving on to Eno & Fripp and The 801 before we know it!

You're Lucky to have seen all of that Bill.

One great offshoot of modelling is sitting down for hours listening to our music collections!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Now we'ere talking!  we will be moving on to Eno & Fripp and The 801 before we know it!

You're Lucky to have seen all of that Bill.

One great offshoot of modelling is sitting down for hours listening to our music collections!

You're absolutely right about that. The music is always on when I'm in my studio, and if somebody is sleeping I just don the Bluetooth headphones. Then I can really crank it up! With regard to Eno, I'm a big fan of his vocal work, but the ambient stuff seems to all merge together for me. Which, I suppose, is part of its intent. He's an extraordinarily talented and innovative artist. The closest I ever got to seeing him was way back in 1973 (I think) when Roxy Music opened for Mott The Hoople at a show here in town. I think Eno had just left Roxy, so I missed out on the feather boa bit. The concert, by the way, was one of my favourites. I remembered being enthralled by Andy Mackay (who came back out and did a few songs with Mott that night). 

Back to that Canberra. I've glossed her all up, and will see what I can do about a wash. Then, it's sticker time!   :) 

And speaking of stickers, it looks to me like the wing spar goes right through the wing roundels, instead of the roundels being painted over the top of the spar. Is right no? Also, the wing spar does not go through the nacelle, but there is a yellow walkway stripe at that point. I'm thinking that I should probably paint the spar before any washing and stickering. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

You're absolutely right about that. The music is always on when I'm in my studio, and if somebody is sleeping I just don the Bluetooth headphones. Then I can really crank it up! With regard to Eno, I'm a big fan of his vocal work, but the ambient stuff seems to all merge together for me. Which, I suppose, is part of its intent. He's an extraordinarily talented and innovative artist. The closest I ever got to seeing him was way back in 1973 (I think) when Roxy Music opened for Mott The Hoople at a show here in town. I think Eno had just left Roxy, so I missed out on the feather boa bit. The concert, by the way, was one of my favourites. I remembered being enthralled by Andy Mackay (who came back out and did a few songs with Mott that night). 

:) 

Cheers,

Bill

Wow, I am in complete awe now!

I'm a complete Roxy and Eno fanatic, I'm sadly too young to have seen them live.

Just in case you haven't, check out Phil Manzanera and The 801 stuff, like Roxy without Ferry and with some Crimson crossover.

John's got you covered on the Canberra Qs, can't wait to see it

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Just in case you haven't, check out Phil Manzanera and The 801 stuff, like Roxy without Ferry and with some Crimson crossover.

Yeah, I have the 801 stuff, as well as Manzanera. I especially liked The Explorers, kind of like Roxy with some other guy singing. "Many Are The Ways" is stunning. 

Required Canberra content: I should have some more photos soon.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I thought I was the only person that like Eno and  Phil Manzanera.  I never really like Roxy Music, having said that I never really listened to Roxy Music.  I once wrote a letter to NASA to try and get the movie that went with " Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" album.  NASA wrote back saying it was not for release to the general public.  I think my first ENO album was "Another Green World" and I can't remember why I bought it, I certainly didn't hear Eno on the radio.

The canberra looks great, too.

Stephen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caseyjones said:

I thought I was the only person that like Eno and  Phil Manzanera.  I never really like Roxy Music, having said that I never really listened to Roxy Music.  I once wrote a letter to NASA to try and get the movie that went with " Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" album.  NASA wrote back saying it was not for release to the general public.  I think my first ENO album was "Another Green World" and I can't remember why I bought it, I certainly didn't hear Eno on the radio.

Stephen 

Hi Stephen,

The movie is called "For All Mankind" and it's on Youtube:

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caseyjones said:

Canberra? What Canberra?

Oh yeah.  I remember. ..! Think, guys, try to think back... there WAS something about building a plane, wasn't there? I'm sure there was something like that....