1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

@canberra kid does anyone produce the correct style B.2 wheel either in a kit or aftermarket, I've never found any?

Also, in this pic are those retractable covers over the aft oblique camera positions, or are they permanently blanked off?

32242673894_a06951e1b5_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Thanks John

James I've just had a look through the last version of Book1 Gen and Tech and the doors are still relevant, obviously it depends on roll, they are for strategic recon and survey, which wasn't a role the 9's did very much of in the latter days.

PR9c_zpsrb6ka3i6.jpg  

John

• Like 2

Thanks John great info again, I really need to have a good bed time read of the PR.9 manuals!

38 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Bill, as John points out the sit is obviously affected by fuel/payload and to some extent the surface it's stood on. The TAPC site has many good images of PR.9's showing a degree of difference in the stance, these particular ones I used show the early PR.9's as being quite 'level'....

Canberra PR.9 sit

Canberra PR.9 sit 2

Thanks General, they actually almost appear to be slightly tail down.  Love the early PR.9s in silver.

I keep forgetting how useful the APC site is for references.

Anyhow, don't want to digress from this fabulous build!

I think I'll be happy with someting close to this:

IMG_1161

This is the result of shortening the main leg oleos by 1.5 mm, and reverting to the kit tyres which are smaller in diameter and have flat spots on them. Next, I'll try to take a small amount out of the nose gear. The net result will be a lowering of the entire fuselage (which brings it more in line with most photos) and with a slight nose down attitude (but not much). 

Repeat after me: I love modelling.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Those gizmos that stick out of the sides of the vertical fin - the ones that look like backwards pitot tubes on steroids. I think the ones in the kit are on uber-steroids, they look huge. Is that just me, or are they oversize? 

• Like 10

So, it turns out that the whole damn tailplane is movable?! With daylight through the gaps!!😶

Ah well, never mind.. . Next one's gonna be better....

What cha gonna do about the tailplane, Bill? (Only joking , I think you dealt with quite enough here!)

• Like 2

That picture tells so many stories

I hadn't realised the reverse curve atop the rudder has one of those flat backed aerodynamic spoilers on it til now

Or indeed that the access panel space was for storing Kimwipe.   ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

So, it turns out that the whole damn tailplane is movable?! With daylight through the gaps!!😶

Ah well, never mind.. . Next one's gonna be better....

We've thought of everything!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

You're getting younger every day John. Airfix take note of the deep trenches on that there rudder !

Looking good Bill just bring that nose down a tad and you're on the money.

You've rumbled me General, it was a cunning disguise I used to try to steel a PR.9 bit by bit :) Airfix should really revisit the Canberra I really can't see them re doing all of them but it must be time for a new 1/72 B.2/6

John

• Like 7

On 3/7/2017 at 01:16, canberra kid said:

They are the ILS aerieal's Bill and yes they are a bit on the beefy side

I thought that might be the case - thanks for the photo. I think I have some resin pitot tubes that will be the right size, and I can just put them on backwards. I will have to remove the tube part, though.

On 3/7/2017 at 04:13, general melchett said:

You're getting younger every day John. Airfix take note of the deep trenches on that there rudder !

Looking good Bill just bring that nose down a tad and you're on the money.

Money? Did someone say money? Who'll make the first bid?   :) 

On 3/7/2017 at 09:06, rob Lyttle said:

What cha gonna do about the tailplane, Bill? (Only joking , I think you dealt with quite enough here!)

Already done what I'm gonna did. 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:24, Procopius said:

Yeesh, Bill, I was all set to do a Canberra of my own this year, but now it looks like work! 

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." - Jalal ad-Din Rumi

On 3/7/2017 at 14:04, canberra kid said:

You've rumbled me General, it was a cunning disguise I used to try to steel a PR.9 bit by bit :) Airfix should really revisit the Canberra I really can't see them re doing all of them but it must be time for a new 1/72 B.2/6

How much of the PR.9 did you manage to get before being found out?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

I thought that might be the case - thanks for the photo. I think I have some resin pitot tubes that will be the right size, and I can just put them on backwards. I will have to remove the tube part, though.

Money? Did someone say money? Who'll make the first bid?   :) 

Already done what I'm gonna did. 

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." - Jalal ad-Din Rumi

How much of the PR.9 did you manage to get before being found out?    :) 

Cheers,

Bill

Not as much as Mr.Cash Bill 😊

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Ref. Full tailplane modification link... Wow! I like it. This has got to be worth a go next time ( now I've got the Information)

Live n learn, eh?

It's a good process that @71chally put together. I'll probably try it next time - I took the lazy way out for this PR.9, but at least I didn't leave it the way Airfix moulded it. That was pretty bad, not sure what they were thinking at the time! 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

The walkabout pictures of a restoration job in Florida make total sense now! With the tailplane assembly on a separate jig! 

So, how about a wee diorama of the Man at work, getting one more piece at a time...

IMG_20170366_111555

Pass me the dremel...

• Like 5

It's the ultimate solution really as it portrays the single piece tailplane and the gap in the fuse, plus you can angle it to how you want it.

There was talk of maybe trying to produce a resin single piece tailplane, will ask around and see if that would be viable.

Quick question on the No. 2 Combined UHF/VHF blade antenna that is located on the aft portion of the spine.

Kemble 2004 017

It looks to me like the leading edge of this antenna is more vertical than the trailing edge, which seems to be more angled. I want to make sure that this gets mounted correctly, as the Airfix part is noticeably different on each side. Most builds of this kit that I've seen, have the edge that is more angled as the leading edge (which seems more logical I guess) but the photos don't seem to show that. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I used to have one of those from a Shackleton, they are bigger than you realise.  Must admit that I thought those aerials (common on many RAF acft of the era) were equal on each edge, maybe it's the way it's mounted on the Canberra?

Note the IFF shark fin aerial ahead of it as well.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

The Airfix antenna is darn near vertical on one edge, with a noticeable angle on the other. Maybe I should make both angles the same. You're right, it's a big honking antenna!

Cheers,

Bill