1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

You are a very skilled modeler Bill, she is looking amazing.  

Mandy has been leaping over a 4' fence and I have had to add extensions to the fence.  I bought a sheet of concrete reinforcing mesh cut it in half and added it to the existing fence, the fence is now about 7' high.  Not a pretty sight , but what a wonderful place to grow passion fruit.  She is NOT happy about the the additions.

Stephen

• Like 1

Superb work Bill, like the way you can deal with every new Canberra feature that gets thrown at you!

Those strips look just right.

There is a very thin lip that fits around the fwd part of the large Zeiss RMK aperture, I'm guessing as an airflow deflector to help protect the lens cover

32242673894_a06951e1b5_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

32242660894_a22c72784c_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Here's that rear aperture

32706150220_a5df42a2f5_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

With the engine fronts, on XH135 the camo doesn't extend inside to the engine face, it wraps around a little bit (6") and then the rest looks grey.

I think on '134 the camo extended a bit further in, but still not to the engine face.  This should simplify the job a little.

32948715002_d4109fd788_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

33063336126_bc425ec952_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

All this is just for info mind!

• Like 3

This is coming on a treat since I last viewed it, it seems that the more photos you look at the more detail you want to add, things then become foggy as what needs adding and it becomes an obsession to add everything, makes my mind go a little potty 

• Like 3

Have to agree with that Kev, I would be befuddled!  I should stress the pics are there for for reference, and not any sort of persuasive technique!

In the my subconcisous I know (as well as John) that Bill will do the subject ultimate justice.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

The camo wraps around quite a bit on XH134, enough that in 1:72 scale it makes sense to take it all the way to the engine face. It makes the job easier, and I won't have to fettle around trying to mask the inside of the cowling. This is XH134 prior to the application of the retirement scheme. 

Kemble 2004 018

Along with the wheel wells, Pavla also supply the main gear retraction arms, which are, of course, more detailed than those which come with the Airfix kit. This is especially true of the hydraulic cylinders that are part of this mechanism. Unfortunately, mine were broken during shipment so I ended up using the kit parts. Oddly enough, some very tiny braces for the front gear doors survived the trip from to CZ to UK to US. I wish the aftermarket guys would do a bit better packaging on these fragile resin parts. I just received a set of wheels from Reskit for the Zvezda 1:72 MiG-31, and there are some incredibly delicate parts that go on the nose gear mud guard. Reskit packaged these separately and securely, and not just rolling around inside the plastic container. Nice job. 

The rudder is on, and I had to sand down the horn to make it thin enough to match the kit. I'm a little disappointed in this part, as you may recall the modifications I had to make earlier to get a good fit. This is the first part from SBS that wasn't less than perfect. Maybe they just had a bad day. 

I'll think about that semi-circular lip around the round aperture. It's awfully small - its scale height is only a few molecules!   :) 

Some nasty sink holes in the main gear doors:

IMG_1158

Back to work...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The camo wraps around quite a bit on XH134, enough that in 1:72 scale it makes sense to take it all the way to the engine face. It makes the job easier, and I won't have to fettle around trying to mask the inside of the cowling.

Bill

Makes sense, looks like it goes all the way to the engine compressor casing.

Every time I turn around I find something else that has to go on before the Hemp. I just added a vent at the front of the windscreen on the port side, plus the rudder actuator thingy. I love these technical words.   :)

How big are the main tyres on the PR.9? The nice resin jobbies I have are 16 mm in diameter, which translates to 45 inches in real life. I ask because these tyres are larger than both the Airfix and Xtrakit tyres. I'm hoping they're not too big...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

That's not far off, 43 inch on a 21 inch rim

That figures. The Airfix and Xtrakit tyres scale out to 42.5 inch, so they're closer. But the resin wheels have much nicer detail, with well-defined wheel rims. Using them will mean that the model may more of a "nose-down" attitude than she should. Well, I'll just have to test fit them and see if I like them. They don't have a flat spot on them, so if I add that it will help a little bit.

So I was thinking about what to do with the Xtrakit. Then, the other day, I just happened to see the Alley Cat conversion for the Shorts SC.9 - gotta love that one! Alley Cat say it's designed for Xtrakit PR.9, Revell/Matchbox PR.9, and with some minor modifications Airfix. Plus, it includes the stickers for XH132. Has anyone ever built that conversion?

What a silly question, I'll bet @canberra kid has!     :)

Cheers,

Bill 

PS. What does it mean when you need an aftermarket correction set for your aftermarket correction set?    :doh:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

That figures. The Airfix and Xtrakit tyres scale out to 42.5 inch, so they're closer. But the resin wheels have much nicer detail, with well-defined wheel rims. Using them will mean that the model may more of a "nose-down" attitude than she should. Well, I'll just have to test fit them and see if I like them. They don't have a flat spot on them, so if I add that it will help a little bit.

So I was thinking about what to do with the Xtrakit. Then, the other day, I just happened to see the Alley Cat conversion for the Shorts SC.9 - gotta love that one! Alley Cat say it's designed for Xtrakit PR.9, Revell/Matchbox PR.9, and with some minor modifications Airfix. Plus, it includes the stickers for XH132. Has anyone ever built that conversion?

Cheers,

Bill 

PS. What does it mean when you need an aftermarket correction set for your aftermarket correction set?    :doh:

Oh yes I did :)

SG107401_zpsycjbpdoh.jpg

John

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Every time I turn around I find something else that has to go on before the Hemp. I just added a vent at the front of the windscreen on the port side, plus the rudder actuator thingy. I love these technical words.   :)

How big are the main tyres on the PR.9? The nice resin jobbies I have are 16 mm in diameter, which translates to 45 inches in real life. I ask because these tyres are larger than both the Airfix and Xtrakit tyres. I'm hoping they're not too big...

Cheers,

Bill

Bill I'll get back to you regards the size. The Canberra has two sizes of wheel, the little one as fired to the B.2 and derivatives and the big wheel as fitted to the B.6, PR.7, B(I)8, PR.9, B(I)12, B.15, B.16, T.22. All B.57's had the big wheel. I'm not sure about the Mk.20 & 21. I know the Mk.20 had the big wheel when it had the wet wing and Avon 109's. I suspect that the wheel was part of the mod. if that is the case then baby Avon powerd Mk.20's and 21's should have the small wheel?  Having said all that and remembering it's Canberra we are taking about, export versions of the B.2 can have the big wheel like the B.62  but not all export Canberra's did, also some British B.2 derivatives have the big wheel too I know of one TT.18 with the big wheel.

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

It means that you're going to enter into an endless loop, that will make you build the same model over and over and over and ...

Wait, wasn't that a movie? :D 

Ciao

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

I used to have some small association with the SC.9.  When we were restoring Shackleton WL795 in the late '80s it shared a hangar with XH132, every now then we had to move it and sometimes I had the joy of being 'brakes man', in reality the brakes didn't work so it was just a ride.

Fascinating beast, the only way in to the navs compartment was through the ejection hatch in the roof.

I made a model of it many years ago using the Matchbox PR.9, Matchbox Lightning nose cone, sprue, and some card to make up the new nose shape, those were the days!  It still remains the only Hemp painted model that I have ever done!

Flattening the wheel will reduce the stance Bill, or even slight sanding all the way around, having said that the Canberra does have a distinctive nose down stance so it might correct that if the kit doesn't represent it enough - if you know what I mean!

As I understand it, the larger later tyre size is 43x12.50-21, the smaller original bomber size wheel used 43x13.50-19, so despite the larger wheel the overall tyre diameter is the same.

Lovely SC.9 there John!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

I just read Andy's (@general melchett) Airfix Canberra PR.9 build, and he mentioned that the main gear legs are too long, and consequently the model sets tail high. This will be exasperated by my tyres that are too large...anyone else encounter a similar situation as Andy? He built entirely new landing gear from tubing, but I may just try to shorten the extended oleo portion. I'm wondering how much to shorten them...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

So, a quick little dry fit to see how she sets. Don't mind the tape.

IMG_1161

Maybe not as bad as I thought it would be. Nevertheless, I think it's still tail high - but there is enough "oleo" to make an adjustment on the main gear legs. It should still be strong enough if I pin it. 

This lovely photo from Flankerman shows that the just a small part of the main leg protrudes past the bottom of the gear door cover. As the model sets now, there is a bit more than that showing. I reckon the amount of adjustment is actually quite small, perhaps 1-1.5 mm, but thanks to the wonderful effect of mathematical leverage amplification, the tail itself will drop more. Likely double that amount, as the pivot is at the nose gear. 

Fri_14 202

I think this adjustment will make a noticeable difference in the set of the aircraft. Thoughts?

Oh, yeah, I added that lip thingy:

IMG_1160

More than a few molecules high, though. It's made from 0.005" thick styrene. It will probably go "zing!" before the build is finished.    :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

Hi Bill, sorry to cause any conundrums regarding the U/C, that shot of Ken's demonstrates the sit perfectly.  I was going by the many images I have, (and that Sloegin Dennis sent me) of 58 and 39 squadron's PR.9's at rest at Wyton and Luqa, these may well have been fully fueled aircraft too. It just bothered me that the model sat too high particularly at the rear, I think the whole look of the thing is improved by shortening them a little. I can't remember now but I suspect that it was down to the usual 'fully extended oleo syndrome' so shortening those parts should do the trick. I only built new ones because I thought the kit units looked a bit simplistic and I had the tubes to hand. I don't remember how much I shortened them by I'm afraid.......oh and I forgot to mention in the text that I also shortened the nose gear too.:tomato:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, general melchett said:

.......oh and I forgot to mention in the text that I also shortened the nose gear too.:tomato:

Thanks for pointing that out - this kit is definitely not one of Airfix's finest!     :analintruder:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Great job on that silver PR.9, she be beautiful.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

I used to have some small association with the SC.9.  When we were restoring Shackleton WL795 in the late '80s it shared a hangar with XH132, every now then we had to move it and sometimes I had the joy of being 'brakes man', in reality the brakes didn't work so it was just a ride.

Fascinating beast, the only way in to the navs compartment was through the ejection hatch in the roof.

I made a model of it many years ago using the Matchbox PR.9, Matchbox Lightning nose cone, sprue, and some card to make up the new nose shape, those were the days!  It still remains the only Hemp painted model that I have ever done!

Flattening the wheel will reduce the stance Bill, or even slight sanding all the way around, having said that the Canberra does have a distinctive nose down stance so it might correct that if the kit doesn't represent it enough - if you know what I mean!

As I understand it, the larger later tyre size is 43x12.50-21, the smaller original bomber size wheel used 43x13.50-19, so despite the larger wheel the overall tyre diameter is the same.

Lovely SC.9 there John!

I've got the same James, and thanks! :)

John

• Like 2

Interesting, I've only built the B(I).8 version of the newer Airfix kits and the stance seemed just right to me , but I've always remembered them as nose down beasts.

In fact growing up with them at St Mawgan I thought of them as a bit scorpion like on the ground, moving slowly around with their tails up in the air and nodding when the brakes were applied. Perhaps the 9s had a different stance.

32272978213_a10c0112b7_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Cripes, nice lip work Bill!

Edit, looking at the pics again, I would say the Airfix nose gear does look too tall, so I can see Andys point in reducing that and the main legs.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

@canberra kid does anyone produce the correct style B.2 wheel either in a kit or aftermarket, I've never found any?

Also, in this pic are those retractable covers over the aft oblique camera positions, or are they permanently blanked off?

32242673894_a06951e1b5_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Thanks John

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

James, Aeroclub do some very nice resin B.2 wheels in 1/72, the ones in the 1/48 Airfix kit are nice too The sit does very depending on fuel load and payload. I'll have a look in the AP regards the windows but off the top of my head I think they are deactivated.

John 

Thanks Bill, as John points out the sit is obviously affected by fuel/payload and to some extent the surface it's stood on. The TAPC site has many good images of PR.9's showing a degree of difference in the stance, these particular ones I used show the early PR.9's as being quite 'level'....

Canberra PR.9 sit

Canberra PR.9 sit 2

And here's a scan from an old magazine article showing clearances, (again dependent on loading). I know these are early lighter PR.9s but hopefully they're of some use to you.

P4Oj_zpsyobhkp1p.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3