1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

There is only three colours used on the bays on the Canberra Silver, black, white, of these only silver and white have been used on the flaps. Having said that I have seen some examples of undercarriage doors in zinc chromate, but I assume they would have been repainted in the correct colour at the next opportunity.

Canb%20PR9%20DSCN0832_zpsuwhe4zcl.jpg

Canb%20PR9%20DSCN0834_zps3szdidyx.jpg

Canb%20PR9%20DSCN0833_zpstdjwwofl.jpg

Now for your little white blob, the original occupier of that position was the receiver for the Omega Navigation system Canb%20PR9%20XH134%20StSd%20CN103681_zps

This was replaced by the much smaller satellite Navigation system this is mounted on a blanking plate that occupies the origanel position of the Omega system 

Canb%20PR9%20XH134%20RIAT06%20PtRrTpFlCl

John 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Now for your little white blob, the original occupier of that position was the receiver for the Omega Navigation system. This was replaced by the much smaller satellite Navigation system this is mounted on a blanking plate that occupies the origanel position of the Omega system 

Excellent! I knew you'd have the answer. Basically just a round, flat disc painted white by the looks of it. I think the hole in the Airfix fuselage is about the same size - rather large hole for its intended purpose (capturing the peg from the Omega box). 

That's a nice photo you posted that shows the satellite navigation system. Along the spine there are blade antennae (2), two white discs, and maybe two lights. Not everything is on axis - is it the light (?) by the aft blade antenna offset? 

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Talking of nose wheels, I used this as a speaker stand until it nearly ran over a small child! 

Came from a Canberra B.2 and ended up being fitted to a Shackleton to replace the heavily corroded one on it.

That had to be one major rock n roll speaker if it needed the nose gear from a Canberra to support it! Marshall stack indeed...   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

was a bit of a beast - Mrs loved it!:lalala:    Dodge Challenger steering wheel behind it there as well!

Looking at the flap pics in Johns previous post, it looks like the outer ones are white, with the inner ones in silver, just shows how things aren't standard.

That or my photo interpretation skills are fading!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

was a bit of a beast - Mrs loved it!:lalala:    Dodge Challenger steering wheel behind it there as well!

So when are you going to build that Big Daddy Roth contraption in the lower right corner? I want to see that WIP - complete with spark plug wires, blower belt, brake lines, etc. And some Alclad Chrome on those moonies!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

You spotted that then! Built about 12 years ago and long passed on.

Love some of the Roth stuff, still got a Mysterion and Tweedy Pie to build at some stage.

There are a couple of photo essays at www.hotrod.com about that car. Interesting photos of the Rat Fink himself building it. He had a method of using plaster to build the body shape, and then put Fiberglas over the top. Once the Fiberglas had cured, he knocked the plaster out. Quite a character. I built all that stuff when I was a kid. On his website it says that Revell paid him one cent for each model sold. In 1963 they paid him $32,000 - that's over three million model kits sold in that year alone. Amazing.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Excellent! I knew you'd have the answer. Basically just a round, flat disc painted white by the looks of it. I think the hole in the Airfix fuselage is about the same size - rather large hole for its intended purpose (capturing the peg from the Omega box). 

That's a nice photo you posted that shows the satellite navigation system. Along the spine there are blade antennae (2), two white discs, and maybe two lights. Not everything is on axis - is it the light (?) by the aft blade antenna offset? 

That had to be one major rock n roll speaker if it needed the nose gear from a Canberra to support it! Marshall stack indeed...   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill two schematic's showing the various antnie and the positions and a photo with the lights highlighted. if you take a look at the other photos it will help with positioning, if it's still unclear I'll dig around for something better.

Untitled2_zpszazrvczm.jpg

Untitled_zpsgdbivw8w.jpg

Canb%20PR9%20XH135%20StRrFl_zpsjryr4o1z.

John  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Looking at the flap pics in Johns previous post, it looks like the outer ones are white, with the inner ones in silver, just shows how things aren't standard.

That or my photo interpretation skills are fading!

James I think it is white, it just looks silver with the lighting and dirt, 

John

Thanks, John. All this helps a lot.

Working on those wingtips...

wingtip

Are the lights on the leading edge clear, and the red/green lights those on the wingtip?

Cheers,

Bill 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, John. All this helps a lot.

Working on those wingtips...

wingtip.jpg

Are the lights on the leading edge clear, and the red/green lights those on the wingtip?

Cheers,

Bill 

Yes Bill the two forward facing lights are white taxi lights, and the small blister lights on the tips are the repositioned navigation lights in red and green.

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill 

C'mon Bill, from a few pages back ;)

32961083861_59f3e18f5f_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

port taxi and nav light

32242660894_a22c72784c_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Underside strobe light, these replaced the earlier red rotating anti-collision lights

32706182550_85ff7524e3_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

and that rear formation light, behind a clear square lens.

John, I'm sure those flaps are different colours, the dull silver inner one even contrasts with the white of it's own bay above it.

You can make it out in the flying shot as well, both flaps are in shadow, but one is a different tone to the other.

Excellent links there Bill to the rod stuff, good to see that there still some really imaginative creations going on.

I have the Ed Roth book, superb publication but quite sad towards the end.

The Revell deal was amazing, really glad they got involved the way they did, as I bet they and Ed were as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

C'mon Bill, from a few pages back ;)

I'm to be forgiven, as that was in the middle of a discussion about what Hemp means.   :)

Well, I thought it might be easy using the Airfix wingtip lights, but unfortunately they are too thin for the wing. Therefore, I'll have to take a couple of chunks of clear plastic and make my own.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

On 23/02/2017 at 10:42 PM, Navy Bird said:

I need to figure out what to do with those wingtips. Don't remember where I found this photo (was it posted here?) but I think this is what the modified wingtips look like.

Ah, but I was responding to this back at page 12, I couldn't upload the pictures until the following page.   The whole hemp thing went over my head!

Now, forgiveness is a given as I'm British!:P

Here's some others of the wing tip sensors and light arrangement,

33046821676_06dd218abd_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

32242408034_557b4e3953_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

It looks like it could just be the leading edge light, and the aft part of the wingtip that is actually modified.  but for my simple talent, cutting off the whole wing tip in a straight line, and rebuilding in plasticard would be the way I would go.

32706150220_a5df42a2f5_c.jpgCanberra PR.9 XH135 by James Thomas, on Flickr

This might be useful, it's the aft camera position, it is an oblong cut out off the rear fuselage with the camera position in a flat panel.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Sorry for the lack of progress, but I was sidelined by the missus. She said the other day "don't you think it's time to be painting?" and I of course thought she was referring to the Canberra. How silly of me! She meant the loo - it was time to paint the loo. Oh joy - and to top it off it needed two coats. Arghh. 

I did manage to sneak in some work in-between coats. First, I added some details to the forward fuel tank, this time using Tamiya tape. The edges of the tape were sealed with Future, and will of course will receive a few coats of paint as well. I've used this technique before and never had it come loose.

IMG_1142

I filled the panel line that ran down the middle of the tank, since as far as I can tell it wasn't there. The same goes for what seems like another spurious panel line that ran parallel to the rain channel on the starboard side. You can see that in this photo. I don't see this line in any photos or drawings.

(Of course, now is the time that someone will post something that shows these lines are supposed to be here - ha!) 

I also took some little chunks of leftover resin and made two vents to add to the underside between the leading edge and the main gear well. After several applications, I was finally happy with the tailplane roots and the exhaust shrouds.

IMG_1145

I'm thinking I need to close up those gaps between the sides of the shrouds and the flaps? It was a bear getting those buggers to line up correctly with the flaps and nacelles at the same time. Ugh. 

And as I mentioned earlier, the clear lenses provided by Airfix were thinner than the wing. Since I have run out of crystal clear putty, I couldn't fill these in to blend in with the wing surfaces. So out came the clear plastic cutlery, and I made some chunks to use instead.

IMG_1144

Everybody knows this drill, so I won't bother to repeat it. Sanding and polishing this into shape takes a bit of time, but I've always felt the results were worth it. Once this is done, I'll mask off the portion that will stay clear, and then graft on the wingtip RWR sensors and navigation lights (although the lights may come after painting). 

OK, that's where we are. I still have some painting left in the loo, but she's looking good if I don't say so myself. Of course it's taking a long time to cover the walls with an airbrush, but I think the Dark Earth and Dark Green over Sky is worth it. I wonder if I can get a roundel for the seat cover? Probably have to pay a license fee to the MOD.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

And so, the marathon Micro-Mesh session is over, and I have something that resembles lenses for the lights in the wing. Devilishly hard to photograph up close, everything kept looking out-of-focus even when it wasn't. So I stepped back a bit.

IMG_1150

If you squint and look closely enough, you can see them! Somewhere near the end of the wings...

That was too much fun. I need to go have a lie down now.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10