1/72 Modelsvit BE-12

kev67

Started this model two weeks ago, slowly plodding on, it is a nice and very detailed kit, but as it is a short run, there are some issues with fit that I have found and some that are very good, one thing that I have noticed on a dry run is that the instrument panel is to high and needs cutting back otherwise it obstructs the clear cockpit, also the engines are a problem in getting them in the right position, there is also some plastic fettling required in places especially when fitting the wing to the fuselage, but I must admit the fit apart from those that I have mentioned is good especially the interior when closed up.

• Like 1

I built this kit recently. I had the same problem with the instrument panel, but it's easily fixed. The engines weren't too bad, but needed a bit of filler, and I agree the wing to fuselage fit could have been better. I found the only really frustrating parts were the three piece canopy and the clear nose parts - the fit wasn't awful, I think it's just that I was conscious of the need to avoid mucking up the clear parts so that made it trickier.

I deviated a bit from the instructions. Instead of building the front and rear fuselage sections and then mating them, I assembled the fuselage into two complete halves first. I thought I'd get a better alignment where the front and rear fuselage parts meet that way. I think it worked. Also instead of assembling a complete wing before fitting it to the fuselage I thought fitting the centre section to the fuselage first would make aligning it and blending it in easier. Again I think this worked. It needed a bit of filler where the centre section met the outer wing sections, but not a huge amount.

Take care if you're using the kit decals. The only ones I used were the instrument panels, they had a tendency to break up. A coat of microscale decal fix (or whatever it's called) would probably help. I used the excellent Begemot decal set instead.

I really enjoyed building this kit. It's not shake and bake but it's also not all that difficult - it just needs a bit of thought and care along the way. A case of 'slow and steady wins the race'. And it builds up into a very distinctive and impressive model.

Yes glueing the 2 sections together is far better than how the instructions ask you to do it, with the wings I glued both centre sections and outer wings together which works ok as well, I also would not bother painting the inner engines blades as once every thing is glued on the engines you can't see these any way.

Good heads up on the decals, although I have the Bagemot decals.

Also not sure about rubber tyres, if anyone is old enough to remember what happens after a period of time with their Dinky toys, the rubber with age splits