A-10, 1/48, Tamiya - Fiiiinnnnniiiished!!!!!!! :)

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Looking smashing, its going to be armed to the teeth then, good stuff

Glynn

Thanks, it ok, bit rough in places, but will do.

Arms wise... Im starting to think less is more going by photos...

Oh - heres a thing - those sway bars that are found on pylons yet so rarely moulded in kits: Is there a standard, quick n easy way of making our own? Ive been staring at an unused staple for 20 minutes and I dont think its going to work, but pylons look so bare without them and so much nicer with them. Any thoughts? I need 22 of the buggers, so it had better be easy!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Thanks, it ok, bit rough in places, but will do.

Arms wise... Im starting to think less is more going by photos...

Oh - heres a thing - those sway bars that are found on pylons yet so rarely moulded in kits: Is there a standard, quick n easy way of making our own? Ive been staring at an unused staple for 20 minutes and I dont think its going to work, but pylons look so bare without them and so much nicer with them. Any thoughts? I need 22 of the buggers, so it had better be easy!!

Off the top of my head,sorry maybe a rudimentary jig you only have to do that once, and then copper ,florists wire,and bend ,and trim,thats where I'd start 

Glynn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Thanks again for the info, dont suppose you know anything of the disagreements re the fake canopy painted on the underside do you?

Hi again,

The false canopy was proposed and copyrighted by Aviation Artist Keith Ferris; the Air Force paid him a commission for each aircraft in the scheme.  Keith, a friend from way back, had a number of proposals for military color schemes, several of which were adopted.  

Aggressors noted the false canopy was sometimes, but not universally, effective.

The canopy was dropped with the introduction of the Lizard, and readopted with some (but not all) of the Ghost Gray aircraft.

Cheers,

Dana

Edited by Dana Bell
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

The canopy was dropped with the introduction of the Lizard, and readopted with some (but not all) of the Ghost Gray aircraft.

Thanks, that all confirms what Ive read so far, but World Air Power Journal suggested some issues regards the false canopy and the copyright - just my curiosity there as to whether there was any truth to that as it seemed a bit odd.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

This thread is proving informative as well as entertaining thanks to everyone joining in with advice and facts :thumbsup: 

Indeed! Many thanks again to Dana.

Funny that I find a lot of help with this as I did with my Frogfoot. (That is so nearly finished, I promise!)

Just noticed this morning that Tamiya would have you model the small leading edge slats at the wing roots in an open position* - this is incorrect as they only open during high angle of attack manoeuvrers to aid airflow to the engines to help avoid flame outs due to oxygen starvation. This is a particularly bad thing for an A-10 as the speed required to restart the engines is greater than its level flying speed, so a dive would be required... not generally much space in an A-10s habitat for a dive! Apparently at least one development aircraft was lost due to this type of flame out. (Taken from WAPJ).

Incidentally Ive also read that when the gun is fired it activates some continuous ignition system in the engines as the gasses from the gun like to stall the engines too - again, some early aircraft were lost due to this. Even more incidentally, and possibly spuriously - "A-10s can only fly inverted for up to 12 seconds". Im doubting that last one, but you never know, its a weird old plane!

Right. Flap butchering next then. :)*

*My mistake - read the instructions and eyeballed the parts incorrectly. They actually fit in the closed position. Doh, but cool, bit less work to do then.

Edited by RMP2

16 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi again,

The false canopy was proposed and copyrighted by Aviation Artist Keith Ferris; the Air Force paid him a commission for each aircraft in the scheme.  Keith, a friend from way back, had a number of proposals for military color schemes, several of which were adopted.  

Aggressors noted the false canopy was sometimes, but not universally, effective.

Cheers,

Dana

There was an old Xtradecal instruction for a low viz 5 squadron lighting F.6 which had a bare metal polished false canopy under the nose.

Would be very effective in a turning fight as the briefest uncertainty about aspect could be enough to make or break the success of a manoeuvre.

I wonder where else it was used...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, At Sea said:

There was an old Xtradecal instruction for a low viz 5 squadron lighting F.6 which had a bare metal polished false canopy under the nose.

Would be very effective in a turning fight as the briefest uncertainty about aspect could be enough to make or break the success of a manoeuvre.

I wonder where else it was used...

You got me curious... F-104s through to MiG-29s it seems, with quite a bit in between - Link made smaller

Edited by RMP2

Ah, the load is getting lighter by the day, might well end up either naked or just a pair of Mavericks... we will see.

Not much to report other than tidying and final fill and smoothing of bits that I missed last time round. This white primer gig shows shadows brilliantly, but only when the light is just right... Modelling excuse 267 in action there. ;)

Some decalling happened thats a little more interesting although I feel I could have done more work on the boomy stuff now I look at it again... but Im learning to just press on and learn from things later or else nothing gets finished in the pursuit of perfection first time around that wont ever happen without that practice!

Doesnt look much, but you see those super skinny red/brown lines on the front ends of the Mavs? They were... erm... fun to get just right. Props to Kenetic for doing them though, theyre lovely to use, just a right bugger to get parallel to the nose.

P1110617%20Large.jpg

More stickers to come and then its detail paint for the Rockeyes and the lenses for the Mavs which are all set t go with silver on their backs and Tamiya Smoke on the fronts (standard issue painting there for me). Unsure about a fancy wash thing for these, maybe a very thin darkish grey-brown affair? Dunno, still a bit new to me is that malarkey. :)

• Like 3

That was a tricky 20 minutes - Offered up the lenses for the missiles and no go, wont fit. Likely down to me sanding the mating faces of the bodies to get a better fit thereby making them slightly off-round and completely forgetting that the lenses drop in the ends, well are supposed to...

Drilled the ends out and in the process rubbed off one of the skinny decals right by the nose and it folded over on itself... brilliant. :( Somehow, and I suspect its sheer fluke rather than any form of skill it went back on rather easily, seemed to be rather clingy in a static electric kind of way. Very, very gently applied some MicroSol and have put aside to dry. A light spray of gloss/satin lacquer will go on later.

Disaster averted!!

I havent even had my breakfast and my tea got cold!

• Like 2

Well saved! All too often people panic or throw items against a wall when something like that happens but a little patience and perseverance has solved the issue for you :clap2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Well saved! All too often people panic or throw items against a wall when something like that happens but a little patience and perseverance has solved the issue for you :clap2:

Cheers, Col. Im far too stubborn to just give up.
Should have a decent update today. :)

• Like 1

I think this speaks for itself.

P1110650%20Large.jpg

So....

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/48328.pdf

I wasnt planning on adding anything to this one (stands me at £12 delivered) but.... While I can ignore the lack of nose wheel well roof and the main gear wells openness to the outside world at their back ends (as theyre underneath and I put my models on the shelf the right way up ;)) that cockpit is killing me. Yes that blutack nose weight you can see instead of a floor of any sort.

Now Im not saying its a bad kit, its a joy to stick together really and I was planning on a closed canopy, closed ladder door and generally hiding stuff. But that great dome of glass aint hiding much and I do have a stubborn rule that I stick to - If it has a ladder then canopy should be open. No ladder... canopy should be closed. Planes just look weird to me otherwise.

So. There you have it and hence no update. Just need to find the PE set for a decent price and do what I can with it at this rather late stage......... Deep down I knew Id have to tart it up. Itll be the decals next that I just cant ignore.

Oh - I seem to have lost my compasses too which is a right pain as I wanted to make some masks for the turbine blades so I could get the intake fronts on and lob some paint at it. That way if I make a pigs ear of the paint I wouldnt bother with the PE.

Its gone Catch 22 crazy here!

So much for a "just smash it together build"!

• Like 5

Right. PE set is ordered. Not a lot I can do til that arrives or I find my compasses for turbine masking.

Oh, theres a few more Maverick decals to go on I guess.

There is an update of sorts - I got the windscreen masked - disassembled an old razor rather than order new knife blades... used good ol' blu tack as a handle. :) Its not come out perfect, but I think it will do.

Trying to avoid re-examining the kit decal sheet now. Or opening the Fencer box... Patience. Theres the shelf of doom to address if I need to fiddle. Some self control is in order.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Right. PE set is ordered. Not a lot I can do til that arrives or I find my compasses for turbine masking.

Oh, theres a few more Maverick decals to go on I guess.

There is an update of sorts - I got the windscreen masked - disassembled an old razor rather than order new knife blades... used good ol' blu tack as a handle. :) Its not come out perfect, but I think it will do.

Trying to avoid re-examining the kit decal sheet now. Or opening the Fencer box... Patience. Theres the shelf of doom to address if I need to fiddle. Some self control is in order.

Haha - My PE is also ordered. I took the Brassin wheels too ;) 

Looking forward to watching the enhancements doing their enhancing!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Forget the shelf,start the fencer:like:

Glynn

No. I mustnt. Theres 3.5 on the shelf awaiting attention and so close to being done its simply not right nor fair. And I love all 3 n a half of em.

Besides, the 24 is a big job in many ways. Needs my full attention and we have til June, so its all cool even at my rate of doing stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

Haha - My PE is also ordered. I took the Brassin wheels too ;) 

Looking forward to watching the enhancements doing their enhancing!! 

Cool. My FGR and FG enjoyed their cockpit bits and it certainly made a big difference. So much so I have more stashed for another one or two.
Be interested to see about the wheels and how much you can see once built when inboard pylons are used n filled. I have a fear of resin wheels... they tend to suggest drilling and wire n stuff - it scares me.

Mine is supposed to arrive by Friday next week... coming from Poland. Never know, might be here sooner, I hope so, want to get this done while Im still keen and get other thing going too, keep on a roll.

The masking of the A-10 is a bit of a worry though, its all freehand stuff and needs symmetry which will be a challenge. Still, theres the boring old Lizard scheme if I screw the early greys up, but lets hope it doesnt come to that.

• Like 1

Give the masking your best shot. I'm sure it'll turn out grand.

As for the 3 & 1/2 half on the Shelf of Doom, sure they deserve a wee bit of love in the meantime as well ;) 

• Like 1

Well, Mavericks are done, suppose thats something.

Unfortunately I found some Hasegawa decals for the USAF stencils and they came out a little yellow... photo makes it look worse than it is, but its noticeable if you know its there.

P1110653%20Large.jpg

Hopefully the PE will be here soon so I dont get bored with this. Ive also started looking at resin seats.... not sure the PE will do enough with this kit "effort" to make it half respectable or not, but will try that first regardless.
Background AIM-9s are for an Omani Jaguar that needs saving from the Shelf Of Doom - still stuff going on here. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 4