Too many seats in Airfix Victor B2 cockpit?

RobertF

Hello all,

I have started building the Airfix Victor B2, using several Eduard photo-etch sets. However, the manual for the interior set states that the single seat between the pilots' seats and the three seats at the console at the rear of the cockpit should be removed.

Is this correct? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,

Robert

When I flew in a Victor on a tanking exercise a few years ago, I sat in the 5th seat (normally used by the crew chief).  The seat is on a swivel, mounted on rails so that the crew-member can slide forward to look out of the pilots side window, or back to get close to the rear three crew-members, the swivel enables him to look forward or backwards and importantly, for him to do a forward roll out of the crew exit, assisted by an inflatable cushion in the case of an emergency. 

Robin.

Originally there were four seats for the rear crew, nav radar, nav plotter, AEO and supernumary.  At some point in the eighties the centre rear seat (nav plotter) was removed as the role was considered redundant by the Misery of Disarmament bean counters (who consider themselves essential to the nation's defence, of course) but the supernumary's seat remained for crew chiefs carried on deployment, trappers and VIPs, so your B. 2 should have all six seats.

On the subject of the seats one well-known modelling magazine's reviewer has described the kit as having six ejection seats: I suspect that the ghosts of a number of V-bomber rear crew would take issue with him (and the bean counters) over that.

Edited by stever219
Typus interrupti
  • Like 5

Well, that's as conclusive as it can get!

Thanks to all of you for your quick and helpful replies!

BTW, Stever219, nice to read what MOD really stands for.  :rofl:  Must remember that one.

Now back to the workbench.

Cheers,

Robert

You're welcome.

I hope you're enjoying your Victor as much as I am mine.  It's already quite well advanced and almost ready for main assembly.  Don't forget to check the fit of the saddle where wings and fuselage meet: you will need to ease this with some sanding and/or filing to get a flush joint, otherwise the wing will sit a little high and give you a slight step in the line of the upper fuselage.  If you haven't yet installed the upper intake halves and their connecting structure now would be a very good time to do it (guess which way I found out).

• Like 1