T-72 (Tamiya 1:35)

Hopefully a better picture - I'll take some in daylight as soon as I can. The 'rust' has been toned down so I think I'm ready for a matt coat when dry followed by some of the finer detailing.

I'll certainly have time for a second build. I've opted for a 1:48 Phantom :plane:

32799364111_d202ccd118_o.jpg

• Like 4

I really like the way the wash has taken in the skirts, dead subtle but it really emphasises the difference between them and the surrounding steel.....Very impressed with what you've done.  :coolio:

Do you see how you can afford to be quite generous with the highlighting to get the exaggerated effects you are after.....It kind of doubles the value of the washes because you can use them to subtly shade and modulate both the highlight and the base colour. 

Do you want to try adding some dry dust and stuff after you've done the detail painting (you need to let what you've done cure properly or it will get lifted and glom together, rather than creating the layers that you are after, you can even add a coat of Klear to protect your work if you prefer).....The contrast with the pinwashing can add some extra interest to the model and its dead simple to do (essentially it's another wash, but done really badly!)  ;)

BTW - I should probably admit I've only done one 1/35 model and I've still not completely finished the weathering:

Vercors031Tweaked_zpsf86e2698.jpg

It still needs pigments & graphite doing, but they are another one of those things that I wanted to figure out on something that I care about a little less first.....This model's taken me best part of a decade!  But you should have seen what my builds looked like when I started on it.  :blush:

• Like 4

That looks great Sarge - Fully see what you mean!! Your help has been invaluable so thank you so much :D 

I had planned to finish mine tonight but I've spent the evening in A&E with my son instead (no break - just a bad sprain). I had put a coat of matt on and started some 'dusting' before I had to call a halt.

I have the fuel pipes and mesh to complete and some touches of red on the lights and wheel nuts. I was going to use some wet mud on her but I opened up the tub and it's gone off :( Never mind, I have some powders that I'll use instead.

OK - So she's done - Hope you like her. I'll pop her in the gallery in a while. 

Thanks for all the help and support. Especially Sarge re. the painting &weathering and Helios16V for providing the link to the photo that she's based upon. So appreciated   :thanks: 

32569239980_686b4331dc_o.jpg

32796194942_c1103161f4_o.jpg

32135486043_d5d8344a75_o.jpg

32135833393_65838cb9b3_o.jpg

32135487463_677a6f86aa_o.jpg

• Like 9

That looks an absolute treat.....Hope you had fun building it, you should build more!  :thumbsup:

I really like the way the washes have picked out the texture and that you haven't been afraid to dive in and play with a few layers of colour, the overall effect is very convincing IMHO.....Also that tow-cable is just lovely (What did you do to it please?).  :coolio:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That looks an absolute treat.....Hope you had fun building it, you should build more!  :thumbsup:

I really like the way the washes have picked out the texture and that you haven't been afraid to dive in and play with a few layers of colour, the overall effect is very convincing IMHO.....Also that tow-cable is just lovely (What did you do to it please?).  :coolio:

A lot of that is down to you Sarge. I've learned huge amounts in the past couple of weeks - Thanks so much again :D

After looking at the daunting task of a 1:48 Phantom (never knew it was so big) I wish I was doing a NATO tank. Oh well, I have the KV-1 awaiting the 'Russia' GB!

As for the tow cable, I started with a base layer of steel. I then used Vallejo Air Russian Green (brush painted) for the tow loops. The cable itself was just a quick wash of black acrylic followed by a wash of Mig Rust Effect. I'm pleased to be able to give something back! :) 

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm always afraid to use metallics on my Braille stuff, it's just too shiny, but that looks the business.....I'm weighing up buying and at least starting an AFV Club 1/35 M60A2 Starship for this GB, it would be my second ever 1/35 build (given my work rate on the first, expectations for a finish should not be too high).  ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm always afraid to use metallics on my Braille stuff, it's just too shiny, but that looks the business.....I'm weighing up buying and at least starting an AFV Club 1/35 M60A2 Starship for this GB, it would be my second ever 1/35 build (given my work rate on the first, expectations for a finish should not be too high).  ;)

Hi Sarge, I should add that the 'Steel' I used was the Vallejo Air; not a metallic paint per se! Sprays lovely :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. That is truly awesome! I am really impressed - both by the paintwork and your superb weathering. Brilliantly well done! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

That is a complement indeed Stix - Thank you :blush:  However, a lot of the result is down to the help and support that I've received since joining the form a couple of years ago. It's a great environment and one inspires me onto a new build every time :) 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Well done :goodjob:  You've won the first battle of this GB :clap2: Made a lovely job of it too :speak_cool:

Thanks so much Col. Your support is warmly received and much appreciated!  :) 

• Like 1