T-72 (Tamiya 1:35)

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Nigel. It all looks to be going together well. Really great looking barrel too - that will really add to the project! :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :) It really is quite a pleasant and trouble-free kit to build.

I've covered the hull in black (as a primer and for some depth) and I'm hoping to put some proper colour on when the barrel and turret are complete. I've a busy weekend planned so this may take a back seat for a couple of days.

Enjoy your weekend too!!

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

This one is turning into a real mixed media subject :) 

Haha - No sure if that's a good or bad thing??  :think:

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm gonna get one of those!  :thumbsup:

Saves so much time and hassle :nod:

• Like 1

So, I plan to paint over the Black with Field Green, followed by the opposite-of-shading in White and finally the Russian Green. Not a clue how it's going to turn out but in for a penny............... :facepalm:

32806545536_27dfae95cf_o.jpg

All guidance welcomed!! :think:

• Like 1

Personally I'd do things slightly differently.....Firstly I'd spray a couple of shades of muddy brown, concentrating them anywhere that grime accumulates on a tank, as a basis for later weathering. 

Then I'd spray the basecoat, selectively allowing the black/brown to show through here & there, again as a basis for later weathering.

Next I'd add some white or buff to my base colour and mist on a few fairly random highlights, concentrating on the centre of panels, especially on the upper surfaces & and on any raised detail.....I'd repeat this a couple of times with progresively lighter shades, used increasingly sparingly.

FWIW:coolio:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Haha - No sure if that's a good or bad thing??  :think:

Going by what we're seeing so far I'd say it's a good thing for sure :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good luck with the painting! Not something I can advise upon as I don't use an airbrush. That barrel and your progress look excellent!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :)  I'm just going to go at it and see what happens :S

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Going by what we're seeing so far I'd say it's a good thing for sure :) 

Hold that thought for the end Col - Things could take a dive! :unsure:

This is what I have to date. It's not a great photo but there are some browns and greens in there somewhere!!

32014274204_a5ab9e7797_o.jpg

• Like 3

That looks the business to me.....All the 'grime' & 'shadowing' is exactly where you want it, the oil washes will work magic over this base. 

I do think you could still afford to shoot a slightly brighter/more faded highlight layer as the weathering is likely to darken your model somewhat.  :nerd:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That looks the business to me.....All the 'grime' & 'shadowing' is exactly where you want it, the oil washes will work magic over this base. 

I do think you could still afford to shoot a slightly brighter/more faded highlight layer as the weathering is likely to darken your model somewhat.  :nerd:

Thanks Sarge :)  However, I might just get a couple of coats of 'Klear' on in while it looks not-too-bad as I'm nervous of messing it up :unsure: 

I really appreciate your help though, so please keep it coming. If I don't apply it to this build there will be others as my confidence grows.

I have a KV-1 for the 'Russia' GB and I may invest in another kit for this GB as I'm wayyyyyyyy ahead of where I thought I would be. My 'stash' only consists of a few kits so I might hunt around the 'For Sale' forum for something. Any pointers as to what would go well with this one?

10 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hold that thought for the end Col - Things could take a dive! :unsure:

Nah. I've every faith in you. Particularly with each new update. It looks as if you're having fun with this one.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Nah. I've every faith in you. Particularly with each new update. It looks as if you're having fun with this one.

I am indeed having fun Col. Learning a fir bit too :) 

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That really is coming together beautifully Nigel!.........and quickly! The paintwork is looking very effective. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :) I'm so much further ahead than I thought I'd be. I've had quite a bit of spare time (certainly more than planned over the weekend) and it's been spent at my bench :coolio: As I said to Sarge, I'm going to need to find another kit!!

It's cool to have rust on the more inaccessible running gear & the tracks, but the hulls were pretty sturdy & well painted, I'd drag out what you have there into very thin streaks, until they're almost invisible discolourations (like tiny flakes of rust washed off dinks in the hull & imperfections in the welding by rain).  Once the flat coat goes on you might be surprised at just how much contrast they add (this seems to depend a lot on the flat coat you use).  :coolio:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's cool to have rust on the more inaccessible running gear & the tracks, but the hulls were pretty sturdy & well painted, I'd drag out what you have there into very thin streaks, until they're almost invisible discolourations (like tiny flakes of rust washed off dinks in the hull & imperfections in the welding by rain).  Once the flat coat goes on you might be surprised at just how much contrast they add (this seems to depend a lot on the flat coat you use).  :coolio:

Cool - Thanks Sarge :) 

Any areas you don't like that you don't want to drag can be stained with a stronger colour, combining colours like this can give great effects, but be careful not to make the overall model too dark in the process.  If you are concerned about this issue don't be afraid to take some kitchen roll (possibly moistened very slightly** with thinners) and gently buff-up some bright spots.  While it may be an exaggerated effect, it has to be.....It's this contrast that gives the feeling of depth & solidity to a model IMHO:coolio:

** I add a couple of drops to the middle of a single sheet then fold it up so the thinners is on the inside.....It soon works its way to the surface and there's no risk of flooding out your work. 

• Like 2