T-72 (Tamiya 1:35)

Hi All,

I've been itching for this GB to start!

I picked this up for less than a score online recently, complete with a Verlinden set :D

However, I'm in two minds about using the resin so I have ordered a metal barrel from Poland.

For info, the final build will have minimal Czech markings.

Roll on Saturday!!!

31819349424_0167d3a9b6_o.jpg

The decals that came with the kit are damaged so I purchased some new ones. I've noticed they are not 'handed' so I'll place the Czech markings on the front and left side of the turret when the time comes.

32539891861_cf989c2785_o.jpg

32283129810_1f2e2b6387_o.jpg

31819348094_be2e3303c9_o.jpg

32539891351_14c32d8a7a_o.jpg

This aftermarket kit was part of the package but I'm debating whether to use it or sell it on :hmmm:

32509098292_94ebc9074e_o.jpg

Picyure of metal barrel to follow once it arrives :) 

• Like 6

Well that all looks very impressive Nigel. I'm not surprised you have been looking forward to building it - I would have been too. Don't know what to suggest about the Verlinden set. I often look at these kind of AM sets and wonder how much of an improvement they are going to be over the base kit, especially with any extra effort they require and then once everything has been painted and weathered. I had a largish Photoetch set for one of my recnt 1/48 Tiger 1s and I ended up using only a few parts from it as the detail on some of the bits it was to replace were pretty good already on the kit. Having said that it does look an impressive bit of resin and PE. :frantic:

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I started that very same kit on last years edition of this series, only to lose my way with it at about 1/2 way. But don't let my failure deter you!

In my opinion. for what its worth, you would be better-off with some Eduard PE rather than that resin set, unless you are planning to expose the engine? Its a very typical Tamiya kit, in that most of the major parts almost snap together, but it is a little 'short' on the fine detail. And metal gun barrel is absolutely the way to go, you wont regret it!

Best of luck and I'll be following your every step

Craig

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well that all looks very impressive Nigel. I'm not surprised you have been looking forward to building it - I would have been too. Don't know what to suggest about the Verlinden set. I often look at these kind of AM sets and wonder how much of an improvement they are going to be over the base kit, especially with any extra effort they require and then once everything has been painted and weathered. I had a largish Photoetch set for one of my recnt 1/48 Tiger 1s and I ended up using only a few parts from it as the detail on some of the bits it was to replace were pretty good already on the kit. Having said that it does look an impressive bit of resin and PE. :frantic:

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, I've decided I'm going to leave the Verlinden set out of this build. I guess it would make a great addition if the tank was going to be mounted on a display though! I'll stick with the PE grills that came with it as standard for this one  ;) 

58 minutes ago, specky said:

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I started that very same kit on last years edition of this series, only to lose my way with it at about 1/2 way. But don't let my failure deter you!

In my opinion. for what its worth, you would be better-off with some Eduard PE rather than that resin set, unless you are planning to expose the engine? Its a very typical Tamiya kit, in that most of the major parts almost snap together, but it is a little 'short' on the fine detail. And metal gun barrel is absolutely the way to go, you wont regret it!

Best of luck and I'll be following your every step

Craig

I'm with you re. the etch Craig. However, I'm going to build with the Tamiya etch as supplied with the kit :) Did you start a WIP for yours? I might take a peak and pinch a few tips :wicked:

• Like 1

Nice to see some more Warsaw Pact AFVs in the mix and one representing a satilite nation as well.

Agree with you decision to forego the Verlinden set but add a metal gun barrel. The kit itself looks pretty good but the barrel will be an obvious improvement.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 11:01 PM, Col. said:

Nice to see some more Warsaw Pact AFVs in the mix and one representing a satilite nation as well.

Agree with you decision to forego the Verlinden set but add a metal gun barrel. The kit itself looks pretty good but the barrel will be an obvious improvement.

Thanks Col - I'm hoping it's the right decision. Support so far seems to suggest it is  :)

Right, to kick things off, I thought I'd start to clean up the wheels:

31849622434_10229ef2a9_o.jpg

However, after a few hours in the pub and the realisation that I have over 20 more of these to do, I've settled on heading on up to bed and reviewing in the morning :whistle: 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

AFV wheels are fun! :wall:

You're not kidding Stix - All I need now is a draughts board!! ;)

After a long session of paring and sanding, I have all the following parts ready....................

31858368354_948254232c_o.jpg

...............to complete the following sections

32660483886_2f073b2233_o.jpg

• Like 3

It didn't take long to fit the parts once they were cleaned up. The wheels are now ready for paint :) 

I have to mention the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement - It's brilliant - Almost like a 'cyano' for plastic and so clean to use!!

I saw someone use it on a You Tube video and thought I'd give it a go. Can't believe I've survived without it until now :like: :like:

32554029322_7211c1b8e4_o.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good.  :goodjob:

Might getting some replacement tracks might be worth a thought.....I don't build BIG models but vinyl bands can be a PITA on the bigger Braille kits, let alone something this size. :shrug:

PS - This page might be of use:  https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/t-72-soviet-progeny.html

• Like 1

First paint on the wheels, ready for a 'wash'

I started with Vallejo Air 'Tyre Black'

32385192270_1576425c63_o.jpg

I had looked at masks and templates online but they were expensive considering they are designed for one model (so in effect one use). I then saw one of these - a Steadtler stencil which I though might do the trick; not only for this model but for many more:

32611992152_86e6bcf31b_o.jpg

I taped it up to keep it clean

32385193270_e092c11af0_o.jpg

And here'e the result after the 'Russian Green' was applied

32385194150_21a8d7f487_o.jpg

I have to admit to being rather pleased with the outcome and I'll definitely use this process wherever possible in the future!! :happy:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

I use this trick too, I saw Phil Flory at Flory Models using one and thought it was brilliant. Picked one up for 99p and saved time and fortune on masks.

Good progress so far! 

99p?????? Cost me £6 'buy now'! :doh:

Never mind - cheaper than the 'one-off templates' :) 

Smart work with the stencil :speak_cool: think there'll be a few of us stealing that tip ;)

I'm enjoying watching the various AFV projects taking shape so quickly here in comparison to my usual aviation subjects.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Great progress! Looking good. :thumbsup: And great idea with the stencil - I'm going to have to get me one of those. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix   :)   They do make life easier ;) 

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Smart work with the stencil :speak_cool: think there'll be a few of us stealing that tip ;)

I'm enjoying watching the various AFV projects taking shape so quickly here in comparison to my usual aviation subjects.

Thank you Col - I think I'll be building more now that the wheels are easier :) 

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Great idea.....I hope they do a stencil with holes small enough for my Braille stuff  :pray:

Hi Sarge, The stencil starts at 1mm and goes up in 0.5mm increments to 10mm. Hope that helps!

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Great progress, hope your still going Czech?..

Thanks Valkyrie - Yep, still going Czech :)

• Like 3

The following stages are now complete (bar the fuel hoses and mesh) :)

32760033756_50a96e1aac_o.jpg

32800294165_9a95882885_o.jpg

The tow cable is dry fitted for the photo..............

32800293185_b698a93894_o.jpg

.........as are the fuel barrels. 

I'm also going to look in the garden for a suitable replacement to the plastic log 

32677342501_e9c3dca6aa_o.jpg

• Like 5

It's been full steam ahead today with the turret sub-assemblies completed :)

31994461643_9d6a777be4_o.jpg

I've called time on building tonight which will allow the filler (required on the back of the turret) to dry. Not sure why it was moulded this way but it's easy enough to sort.

32767877346_6836b842b9_o.jpg

Just waiting for the metal barrel to arrive in the post and I can work on fitting it

32808617305_6f946cb5bf_o.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent progress Nigel. It all looks to be going together well. Really great looking barrel too - that will really add to the project! :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1