Eastern Express 1/144 AN-22

Hi guys

I know my name wasn't down on the list for this GB, but I've been looking for an excuse to build this and here it is :)

I'll have a crack at building the Eastern Express AN-22 "Cock" (delightful name). I did want to do it in that really nice new scheme it wears now for Antonov but seeing as it has to be 70's, it has to be what's in the box

So, obligatory box shot:

Box%20Art_zpslkfwpbo2.jpg

and sprue shots:

IMG_4466_zpsuzserfpa.jpg

IMG_4467_zpsrmuwthkl.jpg

Now, I haven't heard too many nice things about EE kits and I am sure this one is no Tamiya - but I don't mind a challenge. :eat: I call it character building and practice for the Modelsvit TU-22 I have for the Russia GB coming up later this year ...

So, see you at the start! :)

Si

• Like 4

I'm building one, but slowly too... looks great but it's not a quick build. I had to build a frame in the back to support the rear cargo doors, as I had a nightmare due to the sides pinching in.

Look forward to seeing yours unfold!

26358117835_13b6c2b353_o.jpg

28804207862_7e5c9e7441_o.jpg

• Like 2

Yours looks good Radleigh. I will take your advice about the support for the cargo doors - the distinct lack of locating tabs does give it the impression of being rather....flimsy to say the least

Also looks like I will nee a lot of nose weight too!

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, Madhatter said:

Yours looks good Radleigh. I will take your advice about the support for the cargo doors - the distinct lack of locating tabs does give it the impression of being rather....flimsy to say the least

Also looks like I will nee a lot of nose weight too!

Yeah, it's not the best... but it's doable!

Regarding nose weight, I've left off the front of the sponsors for that reason, to fill them with weight once it's all done. That will be the last thing to fit before painting for me.

I made a start over the weekend. Got the wings together, the rear stabilizers and tail fins plus all the wheels were glued. The cockpit pit has also been painted and tonight I shall paint the wheels and sand down the fuselage joints

So far, so good but I've only done the easy stuff. The much more interesting stuff will happen soon enough!

IMG_4473_zpscuniexhe.jpg

IMG_4474_zpsiiv5xzq2.jpg

IMG_4475_zpsxfqdtjei.jpg

IMG_4472_zpsrzi3eyya.jpg

IMG_4471_zpssizkqnzg.jpg

Tail fins dry fitted:

IMG_4470_zpscr51l6tp.jpg

That's it for now, but as always, thanks for looking

Si

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

have been quietly plugging away at this. It is definitely not the easiest of builds, but I am still enjoying it

I have most of the fuselage together - still need to put in the rear doors etc and they don't look to fit at all.

IMG_4476_zps9deqld5k.jpg

92da2f3c-a3db-4fb3-b278-c568f32eb7dc_zps

IMG_4478_zps54r7esbw.jpg

lots of filler:

IMG_4479_zps7iopmmyt.jpg

as always, thanks for looking

Si

• Like 4

I'm watching this with interest. I've had a soft spot for the aircraft since I saw one come into Farnborough with a replacement engine for the An-124 one evening during SBAC show week in the '90's.

The 124 had blown an engine on takeoff for it's demo, and had come straight back in after a circuit on three. We all thought that was it for the rest of the week, until a few hours later when friends in ATC let us know that there was to be an interesting additional arrival just after 7 pm: it was the An-22, very dirty, but with its contraprops sounding wonderful, like a Shackleton on steroids. The Antonov guys worked overnight on the engine change and the 124 was back in the show the next day and for the rest of the week.

Edited by KevinK
typo
  • Like 2

Don't get me wrong, it can be a bit of a PITA to get everything to line up (if at all possible sometimes) but really, it's not too bad - I've worked on worse - although not by much :D 

Cool story Kevin - I recall seeing an AN124 here in Melbourne once when I was flying back to NZ a few years ago. It was parked off to the side where no one except those on a plane could see it.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

How's this one coming along and are there any more pics? The last lot look great :) 

Nothing more since the last update sorry - I have been away on holidays in NZ and only got back today. I'll be looking to do something on it tomorrow all being well

Thanks for your interest though

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John_W said:

So you chickened out on dropping the ramp and doing a full interior?

;)

Yup. It's hard enough trying to get the exterior together without the added stress of making a scratch build interior fit :) I'm still in the process of fitting the rear landing gear sponsons which is bad enough 

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I am slowly plugging away at this. I haven't gotten very far because this is a pig of a kit in regards to fit. Anyone who says this kit is a walk in the park or is easy is full of :poop:

There are massive gaps along the tops of the rear landing gear sponsons and even getting them to sit on sides was hard enough. However, it also could be me and my not so fantastic ability to build. Maybe a mixture of both, but I will keep going and get it done. It will never win an award that's for sure!

IMG_4492_zpscmg3zvic.jpg

IMG_4493_zpsc6pu0lfv.jpg

IMG_4494_zpsqcluwq7r.jpg

IMG_4495_zpslzlya1pc.jpg

IMG_4496_zpsvqutrrzt.jpg

I all of course need to be sanded and filled etc, but you can see what I have to contend with. Looks like I also need to touch up some of those wheels too

Anyways, that's it but thanks to those of you who are watching

Regards

Simon

• Like 2