Seafire XV Special Hobby 1/48

cger

Hi all,

here are a few pics of  a kit I completed last year:  

It is the Seafire XV from Special Hobby. I used the marking of some FAA squadron stationed on Trincomalee in 1945.

I read on the web that the reinforcing plates that were molded on the fuselage sides are absent on this mark, so I sanded them off.

I also replaced the kit landing legs by leftovers from a Eduard Spit VIII kit.  Judging from pictures  the kit sits to high with the Special Hobby legs.

I also decided to fold one wing, the wingfold details were scratchbuild with palsticard and fuse wire. I used piano wire to assemble the wing parts.

The FAA colors are Tamiya and Gunze paint mixes, I used the mixes given by Roy Sutherland for the extra dark sea grey and dark slate grey.

The weathering was done with Mig ammo washes and ink pens.

Not surprisingly, after completing the kit, I found a picture of this plane which  shows that he was kept in pristine conditions !

I hope you will enjoy it,

best,

Christian.

P1050040_zpsbtzlwajd.jpg

P1050041_zpsmys0jbd5.jpg

P1050038_zps9uunfzim.jpg

P1050039_zpsxp0svpef.jpg

P1050037_zpstyrvhiqf.jpg

P1050043_zpsay6qgbqr.jpg

P1050055_zpsdyero0q0.jpg

Edited by cger
  • Like 32

The weathering is very well done and the base is a very good touch to such a realistic model ! 

Yeah! That's pretty cool. Nice job on the wing fold too. Most operational airframes seem to be very 'well used' so it's a bit of a surprise that the real thing is pristine. Interesting that you have a pic of the actual aircraft - are you able to post it here? I'd love to see it.

And i'm envious of the base, it looks great too.

I had a go at the same kit and subject a little while back. If you're interested here's my attempt - 

31 minutes ago, CplPunishment said:

Yeah! That's pretty cool. Nice job on the wing fold too. Most operational airframes seem to be very 'well used' so it's a bit of a surprise that the real thing is pristine. Interesting that you have a pic of the actual aircraft - are you able to post it here? I'd love to see it.

And i'm envious of the base, it looks great too.

I had a go at the same kit and subject a little while back. If you're interested here's my attempt - 

thanks for the kind comments, your Seafire is first  class, actually I looked at your post before building mine. 

Here is a scan of the picture of the actual aircraft. It looks quite well maintained (look at the shine of the wings).

best,

Christian.

seafireXV_zpsuwdi3vh0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cger said:

thanks for the kind comments, your Seafire is first  class, actually I looked at your post before building mine. 

Here is a scan of the picture of the actual aircraft. It looks quite well maintained (look at the shine of the wings).

best,

Christian.

seafireXV_zpsuwdi3vh0.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for posting! I can see I made a few mistakes - would do better next, I think. That shine, yes. I've seen it on a lot of Spitfires. I think the paint must have been quite glossy. There's often that shine, but still plenty of chipped paint, oil/fuel stains and blotchy camo even so. As if, despite fading and wear, they are still polished clean. I tried to get that look on Hellcat. Yet to try on Spitfire - most of them I build end up being very matt. 

Thanks again for posting the pic!

Paul.

from Etienne Du Plessis Flickr, while Seafire III's they are BPF

6064352387_4ee6f9396b_o.jpgSeafire III's  in 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note the tail of the famous NMF  Seafire at the bottom, see link for story

factory  fresh

3734541947_be3fa63bb3_o.jpgSeafire by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

all the rest

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=seafire

And the Spitfires

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

by the latter part of the war S type paints were used (S = smooth) which not dead matt, giving an eggshell to satin in finish.

Neat job on the kit,  a couple of  small points, there was usually some evidence of the overpainting of the wing roundels, and the base colours tended to bleach  out when this weathered, see above, though  the weathering is very well done.

HTH

T

Thanks Troy for the interesting comments and the links to the Flicker album.

My Extra Dark Sea Grey is indeed a  little too blue on the pics. It is less so in real, but still blueish. It is quite an elusive colour anyway.

I spent so much time riveting the kit and building the wing fold that I decided to please myself with the weathering,

best,

Christian.

A lovely looking Seafire in this most attractive, albeit short lived, scheme.  Some stunning weathering, despite the photo you found.  The markings really look painted on.  Do you have any plans to build an Aeronautique Navale version?  I think they also had a very attractive scheme with the anchors and tricolore rudder. 

57 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A lovely looking Seafire in this most attractive, albeit short lived, scheme.  Some stunning weathering, despite the photo you found.  The markings really look painted on.  Do you have any plans to build an Aeronautique Navale version?  I think they also had a very attractive scheme with the anchors and tricolore rudder. 

Hi,

thanks a lot for the kind words :blush: !

I thought about building the kit in the Aeronavale colors, but gave up since I could not find

a decal sheet with the correct roundels. Special Hobby released a boxing of this kit in Aeronavale markings, but it is hard to find nowadays.

regards,

Christian.

• Like 1