1:72 Fujimi BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Bill, my understanding is that the Fujimi and the Esci kits are essentially the same, from the period when Esci sub-contracted the molds.

I think you're right. From what I can tell, the outline between Fujimi and Esci is almost identical. Fujimi engineered the kit so they could get several Harrier versions out of it (not unlike what they did with their Griffon Spitfires). Most kits do this by making just the nose section separate, but Fujimi made the split right down through the middle of the fuselage between the intakes and the cold nozzles, just aft of the little NACA vent! It makes for a really awkward join and lots of putty. Esci wisely stayed away from that idea. There are some good shots in the WIP that show this nasty fuselage join, and another that compares the Hasegawa, Fujimi, and Esci fuselages.

It's amazing after all these years no one seems to have bettered the old Esci kit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

A beautiful looking Sea Harrier (not to mention the Buccaneer and Phantom) in the most attractive scheme ever applied to any mark of Harrier.  I'm with you on the current trend of any colour so long as it's grey.  So boring.  Apparently the RN and RAF F-35Bs won't even have squadron markings applied.  Clearly the MOD has no respect for modellers!

• Like 3

Yet another stunner there Bill, I love the finish and it is wearing my favourite SHAR scheme too,...... it looks great alongside your lovely Phantom and Bucc,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

These are my 2 FA2s. Airfix kit first with white 800NAS fin badge. Xtrakit second with red fin flash - needed to mould a new canopy for this one as the kit canopy was far too wide (actually I think the nose is too thin but the canopy was the easiest way forward!)

Chris

SHAR%20FA2%20Airfix%201.jpg~original

SHAR%20FA2%20Xtrakit%201.jpg~original

• Like 1

Crisp, clean and beautiful rendition there Bill, you are building a gorgeous collection of Her Majesties Navies fixed wing finest, any plans for some rotary action? Smashing build thread as well, very entertaining following along.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

These are my 2 FA2s. Airfix kit first with white 800NAS fin badge. Xtrakit second with red fin flash - needed to mould a new canopy for this one as the kit canopy was far too wide (actually I think the nose is too thin but the canopy was the easiest way forward!)

Beautiful work, Chris. Not sure when I'll get around to building an FA.2, but I hope it's this year. A couple of years ago, I saw Art Nalls at an airshow near where I live - he was flying an ex-FAA Harrier FA.2 that looked impeccably maintained. He's a former USMC Harrier pilot, and his wife is listed as the owner of the FA.2. I had a nice chat with her, but couldn't get her to tell me how much for they paid for the aircraft!   :) 

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Crisp, clean and beautiful rendition there Bill, you are building a gorgeous collection of Her Majesties Navies fixed wing finest, any plans for some rotary action? Smashing build thread as well, very entertaining following along.

Cheers now

Bob

Well, I have an Italeri Wessex in the stash that I'd like to do in the blue/yellow rescue colours. I think that's it though. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Any other suggestions?

The Wessie does sound nice, a plethora of differently coloured Whirlwinds getting the Navy Bird treatment would look spectacular as well!

Bob

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

The Wessie does sound nice, a plethora of differently coloured Whirlwinds getting the Navy Bird treatment would look spectacular as well!

Ah, the helicopter! Whenever I hear Whirlwind, I think of the WWII twin-engined jobbie. The chopper is kinda like an H-19 Chickasaw, right?

31 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Yummy! Don't think I've seen your Phantom before, but they all look amazing, the Harrier is a little gem :)

Yeah, the Phantom is an old one, probably built in the late 80s or early 90s, about the same time the kit was first released. It was done before I became a temporary member of the Modelling Gimmick of the Month Club. I didn't pay my dues, so they kicked me out. Anyway, I was on a Phantom and Tomcat binge back then. Must have built 20 or 30 of each. I only have one of each of those left - gave away or sold the other ones. (No - I did not blow any of them up with firecrackers. That's just a rumour.) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hello Dears,

Just say Raaaaah Lovely !!

I really like it, what about recreating the carrier deck exhibition in Yeovilton ??

You've got almost all the gentle ladies waiting up there ?

Congratulations for the pristine job.

Thank for sharing.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

That's the one. Such a pretty thing.

Image result for whirlwind helo

Pretty for sailor only^_^, I like the color scheme !

But there is a lot of modifications, just the flotation bags seem difficult.

Is there any kits in 1/48 for this one ?

I have a Revell one to be modified for my Korean war serie, but this seem to be another challenge.

Thank you.

Corsaircorp

:gobsmacked: Outstanding work Navy Bird! After the :yikes: of hearing you didn't actually have a Shar in your collection! ;) 

:thumbsup:  :mike::thumbsup:

Bookmarking as a guide to modelling the ultimate 1/72 Sea Harrier.  And great FAA group photos too. Looking forward to seeing the rest of fleet appear on BM.  I have similar  plans, but so little time...

Darren

Bill,

I'm sure even these excellent photos don't show the full quality of this one. Smashing stuff. The Bucc and Shar pairing is the icing on the cake - your naval Bird credentials are now indisputably in place.

Tony

• Like 1