1/72 - North American A-36 Apache/Invader Brengun - released

Homebee

It'll be particularly interesting to see how they handle the airbrakes.  Presumably etch, with wing recesses having raised sections, but no other manufacturer has been brave enough to try that yet.  Hopefully there have been enough releases that didn't get the basic shape of the Alison Mustang right, with associated moans, for Brengun to avoid their errors.

17 hours ago, Gwart said:

There's 3 wing sprues (only one fuselage sprue) in the pic from the FB link ,maybe the whole Allison family is due from them.

It would be helpful to see real sprue images, not just a distant photo of the parts hanging on a display stand. Doing the whole series of Allison Mustangs would require at least some detail adaptations to that fuselage, if not a completely different fuselage for at least one variant, IIRC - my references are not close at hand, but I'll be sure to find them when more information becomes available. Really looking forward to this one, even if it's not a VVS type!:speak_cool:

John

• Like 1

apache_zpsea73ycqf.jpg

A-36A, Mk 1a/f-6a P-51A all look feasible.

It's a horrible grainy shot but you can see the underfuselage break for the various intakes to be added,it also looks like the over engine intake maybe separate also.With the 3 separate wings it's looking more and more like i have lots of Allison Mustangs on my modelling horizon.

I really hope they've attempted the correct leading edge/wing root.

Edited by Gwart
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Gwart said:

It's a horrible grainy shot but you can see the underfuselage break for the various intakes to be added,it also looks like the over engine intake maybe separate also.With the 3 separate wings it's looking more and more like i have lots of Allison Mustangs on my modelling horizon.

I really hope they've attempted the correct leading edge/wing root.

Yeah, the variations in radiator and carburetor intakes were what I was looking for too - it looks like you're right! I've already given Brengun a pretty good chunk of change for several of their Yak-1 kits; I guess they'll be getting more for some Allison Mustangs!

John

• Like 1

The last Apache I tried was by High Planes; fun but quite hard work and a lot of scratch building.

In comparison this looks like a very nice proposition. Lovely box art (IMHO). 

Regardless of my huge unbuilt stash, I feel a purchase coming on with this one :).

Thank you for the information.

Best regards

TonyT

17 hours ago, Andre B said:

Three wings in an single kit in 1/72! How nice would this be for everyone who like to make every version made!

I also look forward to this one!

/André

Good morning Andre

I really hope that the kit will come with 3 wings but I am not too confident ..

Regards

Patrice

On 5.2.2017 at 11:14 PM, Homebee said:

Seems like they took the fuselage of the B/C and thought the A had the same geometry, it hadn't, the A fuselage had less height

Too many assumptions taken for granted again, oh my ... when will the kit makers ever learn to look closer.

Another useless kit, I can only hope one day Airfix comes to our rescue ...

• Like 1

Unfortunately yes^^

I simply don't understand why they are not consulting an expert at a certain stage of the project before the molds are made.

I think they too often go the easy way and just take a random existing kit and incorporate their modifications without caring about the full oversight.

They also don't seem to mind reading the important modelling forums ...

Sorry had to get this off my chest.

• Like 1

Hard to say. Perhaps the apparent depth of the fuselage, in terms of canopy line distance to wing upper surface, is just the angle of that shot, and the eye-tricking diagonal stripes on the other. But it does look deep. It is legally 43-6006, a late P-51A. History and hordes of pics here:

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/allisons?survivors/serial/43-6006

But "legally" is not the same as "actually". It was restored from probably not very much intact wreckage in the 70s and there is a lot of D in there, hence it is referred to as a P-51A/D, so there could be all sorts of bits and pieces in i, certainly it is a hybrid in some ways.

Presumably the deeper B type radiator housing helps for racing to accommodate more power being squeezed out of the engine.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Not just the deeper radiator itself but the way that the rear goes further up before meeting the fuselage.  That's a sign of the Merlin airframe.

PS neither the Apache nor Invader were real names, just PR puff that weren't adopted.  If anything it was just a Mustang.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwart said:

That's what i tried to highlight on the pic comparison,this Brengun kit has the bum of a b/c/d.

I just noticed that 'Polar Bear' has a D wing root.

How many kits are a merger of "Mustang" bits?  Maybe it's just a concept...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to be based on the KPM/AZ kit (not a surprise as Brengun has re-boxed AZ Spits with added bits).

Nice they fixed the rudder balance problem.

But why didn't they sort out the rear wheel-well/wing-spar, other wise what is the point it being separate.

She defiantly looks like a fat bottom Merlin with a nose job.

And if it does have a choice of of carb intakes why no choice of props?

Even if the LERX isn't fixed the extra wings should replace Academy's undernourished ones (no more need to butcher a lovely Airfix P-51D for the wing tips).

And admit it who's also thinking you can justify buying one by telling the misses your going to use parts to get those Condor/Special Hobby boxes out the stash and on the bench.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...