Matchbox Victor intakes

chrisrope

Howdy

As I have this kit, can't afford the Airfix and resin intakes are no.1 on the unobtanium list, what are the best way to approach the intakes on the Matchbox Victor?

I'd like to avoid FOD guards if I can 

Any advice no matter how small appreciated 

Ta

Chris

It's a tough area to get right without the D P Prods resin intakes, this site suggests that the intakes might come back in stock https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17949&page=1

I have a (very slow!) build in progress with this set and they are really nice. 

Might even be worth posting a wanted on the forum, I think a few will come on the market now!

Having built two previously, if I did another one without the resin, I would remove the wing halves locating pins, and the thinner inlet splitter plates, before joining the upper/lower wing halves.

Make up single piece thin splitters and either carefully fit them from the front of intakes, or cut slots in the bottom of the inner wing and slide them through from underneath - if that makes sense.

When joining the two wing halves, try to align the intake lips and centre part between the engines as best you can, and use filler to blend the inlet area and engine divider as best you can.

By the time you've finished you might wish you brought the Airfix one!  Mind you, I like the Matchbox kit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Might even be worth posting a wanted on the forum, I think a few will come on the market now!

I actually have one of these excellent sets up for sale; however. I can't post anything in the Buy and sell forum yet (too few posts) so if seriously interested sending me a PM might be an idea...

Robert.

Thanks 71chally, all good advice, yes it does make sense. I do have a wanted ad up but no joy so far. I've conquered the Airfix Vulcan intakes which are admittedly  easier but I'm up for the challenge ;)

However, RobertF, you have PM

• Like 1

You could always do what i did. Being a tight-wad and not keen to pay for resin replacements, I set about the intakes with a little plastic card and strip and some Milliput.(other epoxy fillers are available!)

Kit intake

IMG_0040.jpg

Modified intake

IMG_0039.jpg

Upper half after mods

IMG_0036.jpg

Lower half with lots of Milliput and extensoins to the kit intake splitters and flow straightening vanes. You can also see a new inboard intake vane moved completely forward

IMG_0017.jpg

Hopefully it's pretty self-explanatory but ask away if something not clear. Done this 3 times in years gone by - when I do one again (and I will depite having the Airfix kit now!) I will make that new inboard splitter a full depth one not just 1/2 as I have here.

HTH
Rick

Edited by Spad
amended the mods amendment
  • Like 4