Help with painting car bodies

S5 modeller

Hi chaps.

Long time lurker here, but don't post much in this section.

I'm going to start a vehicle build soon and wanted some advice in painting the body shell.

I have seen the beautiful finishes people attain on here, and so thought it was the best place to ask.

So, to my questions :-

What is the best order to paint the shell in? I know I need to prime, then colour coat and gloss,but how do you keep the exterior colour getting inside the shell?

What is the best way to paint the shell? Interior colour first, then exterior, or exterior first then interior?

Is it best to attach all the exterior panels before the colour coat is applied, or spray fenders and bonnet/ boot separate? 

I'm going to be using zero paints " plum crazy purple". This is going to be my first attempt with their paints. I've heard nothing but good things about them. The colour is a metallic, I think, how do you best keep the metallic particles distributed evenly in the paint? Is there a special method, or just shake the paint like crazy, and spray the colour fairly quickly? 

Sorry for all the questions, but the search function didn't reveal many answers to me.

I hope my first build goes smoothly, with your help, I'm hoping it's trouble free.

Thank you for looking in.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

I think your not far off with what you have put already. I always prep the bodyshell and use white primer for light colours like reds and yellows and normal primer for other darker colours.

Always rub out any imperfections and reapply the primer if needed. Lay down the colour in light mists and allow it to build up over a number of layers.

Once satisfied repeat with the clear coat and then when it has hardened over several days use a fine polishing compound to buff up the clearcoat to a high shine.

I recommend using micromesh and microfibre clothes for polishing and waxing.

I too will be trying zero paints shortly as im wanting to build something big 🤔🤔.

Best of luck matey

• Like 1

Plum purple is a lovely colour I used it on an old vw. The best way to do these types of paints is in even light coats, take plenty of time to build up the colour, you will probably find you need 8-10 light coats to get the right colour without having it bubble in crevices (I had this problem the first time I used it because I went too heavy too quick) 

If it were me I'd get the outside sorted first then brush paint the interior, recently I have been trying a new technique I picked up from the aircraft section and that is to tape up the edge of what you don't want painted and the use damp kitchen towel over the rest of the bigger areas. 

When it comes to all the separate panels and how/when to paint them It all depends whether they are all going to be the same colour or how open you want the car ie. doors/hood open. If it's going to be shut at the end and the same colour then get on as much as you can before painting. 

Basically how do you want it to look at the ended and work backwards from there on how bits go together this will make putting it together easier in final assembly. 

Oh and obviously have fun and patience is key. 

Shaun 

Also if you are going with zeros I would highly recommend the new diamond 2k clear coat they do 

• Like 1

As regards separate bonnets , bootlids etc , I try to jig the panels together with the body so they're clear of it but sitting above where they fit on the body .  lumps of Blu Tak & cocktail sticks normally suffice .  The reason for this is that you need to spray the whole thing together to ensure it all comes out exactly the same colour .  This is especially important with metallics , since you need to ensure the same disposition of the metallic particles in the paint . 

Also , if the vehicle has separate front or rear valances which need attaching to the body , I always try to attach them & get them filled & sanded if necessary before paint .  That way you don't end up with a beautifully painted but ill-fitting panel afterwards .  Always tape the valances in place & test-fit the floorpan , interior etc first though , in case you need to modify something so it'll fit with the valances in place . 

As regards paint , I usually use Halfords aerosols for car bodies .  If I'm painting something fiddly or delicate I might decant into a jar & put it through the airbrush , but normally I use them direct from the aerosol . 

Hope this helps

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

• Like 1

All of the above and if using the Zero paint don't worry about the metallic flakes. Just make sure you mix it well at the start and it will spray fine. The flakes won't settle during spraying to the bottom of the airbrush, so no need to shake, mix, whatever. Remember to use light coats with the colour. You don't need to lay on wet coats, it's just a colour coat. The clear will bring the gloss afterwards. Thats basically it. If you have separate body parts just make sure to spray them all at the same time and use the same amount of coats on each part to ensure colour compatibility.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help. I knew I could count on you.

This is going to be the kit I'm attempting.... 

2017-02-02_03-51-02

I've had it knocking around for about 25 years or so, recently the shell has been used as a paint mule.

2017-02-02_03-51-49

The shell is now stripped back,gotta love Dettol, stripped of car primer and all sorts of paint.

2017-02-02_03-52-39

This is why I asked about separate panels, the fenders and running boards are all separate. 

I think the best plan of action would be to glue the shell to the fenders?

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, S5 modeller said:

Thank you very much for your help. I knew I could count on you.

This is going to be the kit I'm attempting.... 

've had it knocking around for about 25 years or so, recently the shell has been used as a paint mule.

The shell is now stripped back,gotta love Dettol, stripped of car primer and all sorts of paint.

This is why I asked about separate panels, the fenders and running boards are all separate. 

I think the best plan of action would be to glue the shell to the fenders?

Have you thought of doing it two-tone - do the body one colour & the fender/running board assembly another ?  Models like that look great with dark-colored fenders & a lighter body .  That way you could paint the two parts separately & fix them together afterwards .

• Like 1