Airfix New B-17G decals

PhantomBigStu

Finshed an airfix lancaster, makes sense to do the new B-17G next, however I don't fancy the NMF in the kit, having no real knowlege about the fort and the different block no's varations what decals sheets cater for the one in the kit? I ask as I would like to do an all over OD example, or should I instead just buy the revell G? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

It is a later production B-17G after camouflage was discontinued so overall NMF if in USAAF marking. You could do RAF Fortress III. 

37 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Or wait for the Fortress MkIII release later this year and do one in RAF markings (100 Group)...unless, of course, you already have purchased the kit.

4 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

... and if you have already bought the kit and want a painted RAF one then the DK 100 Group sheet is here:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72016

I'm happy to wait to do a fort iii when it is released, I want to do a USAAF fort

1 hour ago, MalX said:

Problem is many of them don't state the block number and I have no idea what's applicable to the airfix plastic, hence the thread 

5 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I'm happy to wait to do a fort iii when it is released, I want to do a USAAF fort

Problem is many of them don't state the block number and I have no idea what's applicable to the airfix plastic, hence the thread 

Ok, if you really want to do a USAAF B-17 with the Airfix kit, you will need to either do a nmf or back date to an earlier block number. The Cheyenne tail turret was done as a mod before it was introduced on the various production lines although most were still nmf. Likewise the staggered waist gun arrangement on the kit is a late feature. If you really want a camouflaged USAAF B-17G, you will need to do some modifications to the Airfix kit or use Revell's B-17 which has the earlier waist windows and ( I think) a choice of tail gun options.

22 minutes ago, snowen250 said:

The next release with the usaaf set is an olive drab machine. Not all late block models were silver 

Correct - there were 300 camouflaged B-17Gs built by Douglas that had staggered waist guns and the Cheyenne turret fitted at the factory. 

As stated above, Airfix will be supplying a decal set for this with the USAAF set soon. 

I'm hoping other decal manufacturers will be able to produce some more decals for the camo Forts as I too hate natural metal finishes!

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJP said:

If you have the serial you can find the block number on Joe Baugher's site:

http://www.joebaugher.com/

Lots of good stuff there.

I shall go through the serials on the decal sheets, see if I can find one to buy, not going to be buying the supply set, unless I can sell the vehicles on for a fair price 

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Finshed an airfix lancaster, makes sense to do the new B-17G next, however I don't fancy the NMF in the kit, having no real knowlege about the fort and the different block no's varations what decals sheets cater for the one in the kit? I ask as I would like to do an all over OD example, or should I instead just buy the revell G? 

Hi PBS, 

whats making you not fancy the NMF? You don't like the look or don't fancy painting it? 

Only reason i on I ask is I'm building this very kit and have gone NMF using Humbrol silver rattle can. It's come up really nicely and wasn't too difficult to do. Just make sure you mask the clear parts and you're onto a winner. 

Have a a look at my WIP if you want, one of the options I'm building is OOB

Cheers 

Fair enough mate. 

Ive been looking at aftermarket decals, there's loads as others have pointed out, I'm sure you will find something. 

Cheers 

the ``Texas Raiders`` decals are in 1/72 as well.........LOL

i've been thinking a lot about this scale thing, the 1/48 Revell looks wrong due to a lack of molded surface detail, it's huge size reveals this !!!!!..................the 1/72 might be better.

ok it looks like the Revell B17F ``Shamrock Special`` and the B17G ``Nine O Nine``.........but i expect i'll go onto Ebay and see too many others and get confused...........spoilt for choice LOL

Edited by MalX

Gone through some of the kitsworld sets, and I have found an OD B-17G-65, wish I'd looked before I went t my LHS and spent 17 pounds on a p51, could have spent 28 pounds on a b-17......

edit also found an OD G-95

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Gone through some of the kitsworld sets, and I have found an OD B-17G-65, wish I'd looked before I went t my LHS and spent 17 pounds on a p51, could have spent 28 pounds on a b-17......

edit also found an OD G-95

YES...........i'd advise everyone to look on ebay before you buy a B17 / decals whatever, because they have stuff there that i never even knew existed.

they have B17Bs................B17Cs............loads of different RAF versions etc, but these are mainly in 1/72, you dont see anywhere near as much in 1/48........................1/72 is the way to go i think

as for the expense :o:o i'm too scared to even think what i've spent recently.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifelike-Decals-Boeing-B-17-Flying-Fortress-Pt-1-1-72-decals-/252730623264?hash=item3ad7eb4520:g:NMAAAOSw14xWQd0E

that's a very good sheet, they have Tondalayo in black plus ``a bit o lace`` .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191901998041

That is the famous ``ye olde pub``, plus they also have ``betty boop, the pistol packin mama``

i'm now totally confused, this always happens to me :D

Edited by MalX

Why buy it on ebay from the US when it's much cheaper to get it from Hannants, first port of call for any decal search if you are in the UK. Free postage too.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72054

Rarely makes sense to buy an EU-manufactured product like Kits World decals from a source on the other side of the world. Sending goods on 7,000 mile round trips isn't cheap.

Edited by Work In Progress

oh dear............. the Revell B17G doesn't have the staggered waste gun, so i cant make ``Texas Raiders`` unless i move it of course, it'll also have to moved for ``Yankee Lady`` as well.