Meng King Tiger

Matt182

So I've had a go with the Meng zimmerit. Before I started I built up the bow MG. This is very nicely done with the ball trapped in place between the mount and the upper hull. The MG barrel is well done with a drilled out muzzle.

P1010410%20Custom.jpg

The zimmert decals behave like any other decal, they just need a longer soaking time. I added the decal for the upper front plate first.

P1010412%20Custom.jpg

And this is where I stopped. As you can see it looks very flat, lacking the ridges of the real stuff. I had a go at adding the decal for the MG mount which ended up being a disaster. It's too thick in the center to conform to the shape and the thinner parts just kept rolling up on themselves. Eventually the decal began to fall apart. :facepalm: Honestly, I would of peeled it off anyway even if the MG mount decal had gone on properly. It's not worth covering up all that excellent detail with something that just doesn't look right.

Deciding now whether to add my own zimmerit or go with a 'clean' build.  

• Like 5

I don't think the high contrast between the red plastic and the light grey decal is helping it's appearance much here Matt, Have you tried giving a section a light spray of sandgelb to check it's looks with a single color? If that improves the looks you could do te smaller pieces like the forward MG dome with "home-grown" zimm

Julian

• Like 1

Build is progressing nicely , The zimm decal does look kind of like I thought it would ,there's really no substitute for putty or resin zimm . As you say it lacks depth .

All that nice detail is begging to be left visible mate , but if you do the zimm go the putty route pending a resin set  .

Edited by Mike
Removing photo quote
  • Like 1

Hi Matt. Great progress on your part but I am surprised by how many issues there are with such a new kit. And I'm not sure about the look of the Zimmerit either. As Julian says it may look okay under paint but there are still going to be places like the MG mount where you have to make your own to match. Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 6:23 AM, Gremlin56 said:

I don't think the high contrast between the red plastic and the light grey decal is helping it's appearance much here Matt, Have you tried giving a section a light spray of sandgelb to check it's looks with a single color? If that improves the looks you could do te smaller pieces like the forward MG dome with "home-grown" zimm

Julian

The high contrast probably doesn't help with making a judgment on it. My main issue with it is that when looking at it from tighter angles it looks like a flat surface that's been carved out, rather than a surface covered in raised ridges. I will post up some more photos of it in the next update which should show this better. I will try and do a painted example on some plastic card too. :)

On 2/13/2017 at 0:13 AM, sonofjim said:

Build is progressing nicely , The zimm decal does look kind of like I thought it would ,there's really no substitute for putty or resin zimm . As you say it lacks depth .

All that nice detail is begging to be left visible mate , but if you do the zimm go the putty route pending a resin set  .

I was hoping it would be an easy way to a decent zimmerit coat but it's just not right to my eye. I've decided to go with a clean build instead, it will be interesting to see how that surface texture appears under a coat of paint.

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Matt. Great progress on your part but I am surprised by how many issues there are with such a new kit. And I'm not sure about the look of the Zimmerit either. As Julian says it may look okay under paint but there are still going to be places like the MG mount where you have to make your own to match. Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix. Don't get me wrong, this is a great kit. Some of my gripes are quite minor to be fair. I really should be mentioning the pluses more as there are plenty of them!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt182 said:

Thanks Stix. Don't get me wrong, this is a great kit. Some of my gripes are quite minor to be fair. I really should be mentioning the pluses more as there are plenty of them!

Hi Matt. Yeah I know what you mean - it does look like a great kit (I'm probably going to be tempted to get one at some point!) with which you are doing a superb job - I just think it's shame that some of the issues weren't picked up before it was released. I sometimes wonder if some kits are actually built before they are released. Some recent Airfix new tool kits, for example, have some fairly bad issues which, I think, could have been ironed out before they were released if someone had actually tried making them. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Step 4 - Hull roof & engine deck

The hull roof is nicely detailed and goes together well. I added some small welds to the periscope covers and filled in around the lifting hooks. Meng have done a great job with the tools, they are just as good as the best from Dragon. You get a choice of covers for the hull ventilator. F49 has the cut down edge which was common on most vehicles but you have to add the cutting marks yourself.

P1010445%20Custom.jpg

The engine deck is again straight forward and well detailed. The deck comes in 3 separate sections which fit perfectly. The rectangular grills have the bolt holes cut out and fit perfectly over the bolts on the engine deck. The fit is so precise that you do not need any glue. Again you are given a choice for the intake covers, this time for the engine hatch. B17 is the correct part to use here as a 'flatter' version was fitted to aid clearance with the turret. You are also given the option to add a latch to the engine hatch but this is only applicable for late production vehicles and should be left off in most cases.

P1010449%20Custom.jpg

Meng also include a jig to help form the larger raised grills. You simply put the grill inside the jig.

P1010414%20Custom.jpg

Then push the two halves of the jig together.

P1010418%20Custom.jpg

The grills are shaped to fit the frames. It's not perfect but it's helpful :)

P1010422%20Custom.jpg

It's worth noting that the instructions point out quite a few optional parts but do not explain what they are or why they are optional. It's worth having some references handy.

Just to follow up on the issue with the decal zimmerit. I've tried to get a good photo of how flat it is but this is the best I can do at the moment.

P1010437%20Custom.jpg

Cheers

Matt 

• Like 7

The side shot gives a good idea of how unrealistic the decal zimm looks. More like the caul fat that is used to wrap faggots than a carefully applied paste. Strange how the PE and paper zimm do look good though while they can't be much more prominent than the decals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Bit late but those mould seams down the centre of the swing arms are weld seams if I remember correctly. 

Not that they would be seen but saves people the work or thinking bad of the kit. 

You are quite right that the large seam should be there, which is why I haven't removed them. I was talking about mold seams on the top and bottom of the arms that need to removed. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matt182 said:

You are quite right that the large seam should be there, which is why I haven't removed them. I was talking about mold seams on the top and bottom of the arms that need to removed. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ok no worries, just looked like they had been scraped off in the two pics of the swing arms mate. 

Perhaps just the light/angle of the pic. 

Step 5 - Hull sides

I've now finished the hull sides. It's pretty much plain sailing with the shovel, pry bar and crank all very nicely done.

P1010455%20Custom.jpg

The main tow cables on the other hand are a little disappointing. They are molded separately from the gun cleaning rods but the large clamps for the cable 'eyes' are very simplified. They are just large lumps of plastic that look nothing like the real thing. In fairness they are no worse than in any other 1/35 KT kit but I can't help but feel that Meng could of made more of an effort here.

P1010456%20Custom.jpg

The track pulling cable on the right side of the hull is nicely detailed but is far too neat for my liking.

P1010454%20Custom.jpg

I've also noticed a mistake by Meng. The rear-most mounting point for the fenders is missing on both sides of the hull (circled).

P1010458%202Custom.jpg 

I've started work on the rear plate so that will be the next update.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Matt182 said:

"I've also noticed a mistake by Meng. The rear-most mounting point for the fenders is missing on both sides of the hull (circled)....."

Oh yes , I missed that when I looked over my kit .

Tut tut Meng :dull:

• Like 1