Eduard Mig 21PF

Hi all,here's my entry for this GB,having only ever built Airfix's ancient 1/72 offering I'm looking forward to building my second from this

superb kit,now I arrived on this earth in 1960 so grew up in three of the decades of the cold war as you might expect it was into the 

seventies when my interest in models and what was in the news grew so the latter stages of the Vietnam war were being played out

every night on TV and Soviet aircraft were just grainy B&W photos,I remember the excitement of Viktor Balenko landing the Mig 25

at Hakodate AB in Japan the shooting down of Korean Air 007 in 1983 and finally the wall coming down at last.

Ah,two massive military block's glaring at each other across half the globe itchy fingers on the nuclear button,the world seemed a much

safer place back then!

Anyway here's the quite large box for now.

DSCN4568_zpsa3aocg6b.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2017 at 1:20 PM, SleeperService said:

The 80s were certainly very different than today's world.

A good choice I hope you get started soon as I've got the 'R' to build and need inspiration.

Nearly finished the Chieftan so hope to get a start this weekend,I'm not a Jet builder and tend to stay away from NMF but will give

it a go on this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Nearly finished the Chieftan so hope to get a start this weekend,I'm not a Jet builder and tend to stay away from NMF but will give

it a go on this one.

will you be joining me in attempting the scary dark art of alclad on the mig steve

glynn

27 minutes ago, Hewy said:

will you be joining me in attempting the scary dark art of alclad on the mig steve

glynn

No thank's Glynn,I,m happy to leave it to braver modeller's like yourself for such thing's it will be Halford's silver used for the first time last year

on the Mustang.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

No thank's Glynn,I,m happy to leave it to braver modeller's like yourself for such thing's it will be Halford's silver used for the first time last year

on the Mustang.

huh brave, you mean daft chancer, now I am a fan of the Halfords spray tins I like that laquer that turns shiny to matt ,works well on Tamiya paints after the gloss coat and the standard silver is good too

• Like 1

That has turned out really well steve,did you decant it or straight from the can,i think some tins if you're spraying straight from them are faultless and others can be a pain the halfords silver is a cracker straight out the tin,

Glynn

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

That has turned out really well steve,did you decant it or straight from the can,i think some tins if you're spraying straight from them are faultless and others can be a pain the halfords silver is a cracker straight out the tin,

Glynn

Straight from the can Glynn,very light coats and it builds up beautifully.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

...I am a fan of the Halfords spray tins I like that laquer that turns shiny to matt ,works well on Tamiya paints after the gloss coat...

More info please, what is this magical product?  I have never found a matt or satin aerosol varnish that was anything other than a disaster!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, At Sea said:

More info please, what is this magical product?  I have never found a matt or satin aerosol varnish that was anything other than a disaster!

I'll take a pictuer of the tin and post tomorrow, tucked up in my star wars pj's  now:Pits stored in halfords next to all the heat treament and and engine paints and textured finishes ,it turns any  gloss, satin finish to  matt, sprays lovely out of the tin ,over decals ,i use mainly tamiya paints vallejo washes, its fine with all of those no reaction there just mist 2 coats on and job done ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

Glynn will post his tin here's the full RFI for the Mustang.sprayed and no varnishes

used.http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012654-tamiya-148-mustang-dooleybird/#comment-2554695

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Morning folk's,time to tinker with this one,now I'm not a jet builder by nature and Russian ones well not for years have I managed

to finish one so this could go pear shaped but here's a start.I notice alight blue cockpit colour looking on the web.

DSCN4711_zpslbq0fge4.jpg

• Like 4

I'd like to follow you along with this one Steve. I normally make 1/72 (space constraints) but I like the MiG 21. I too, haven't made a jet or done a NMF in over a decade.

Im interested to see the colours involved here and how it all fundamentally goes together. I have a couple of these in 1/72 by lesser known manufacturers (e.g. Condor). They might not be the best of kits but I think the MiG 21 is a supremely purposeful 'arrow' of an aircraft; I'd like to have ago at one one day.

Good luck with your build :)

:popcorn:

TonyT

• Like 1