Revell McLaren 570s

shood23

Hello guys and girls and welcome to my newest build. 

My other half let me pick up a few kits recently for my birthday which she very nicely paid for. 

On to the kit and I have to say it looks as if revell have really upped their game with these latest kits (the corvette c7.r is really great) admittedly I haven't actually done too much on it yet but so far it's all very good. 

On to the build as as it the first one of these built on the forum I have taken a few more pre build pictures than normal just so every one can get a good grasp on the quality and changes. 

The box art is pretty nice I like that there is more black than that old grey colour from the older boxes around the picture, still the same old side opening style box though but that's easily changed to make access better (more tamiya like)

20170131_153514_zpstvurnezd.jpg

I am choosing to to make it in mclaren colours so chose zp mclaren mp4-12c macau orange. I have some zp pearl tinter also which I may try out over the orange 

20170131_153525_zpssqbxyeuz.jpg

The body is made in a very bright colour, It sort of reminds me of tamiyas mazda 787b just not as vivid. Obviously being a new kit there is very little extra material that needs cutting or sanding.

20170131_153600_zpsoxzkvrj8.jpg

There are ready cut out doors which in my experience with revell is a new feature. 

20170131_153617_zpsofnkoaik.jpg

There is a multi part v8 also and it looks as though not much is missing so revell are outdoing tamiya in this area now. 

20170131_153716_zpseoatqeco.jpg

Nicely revell have included parts to make either left hand drive or right hand drive (the correct way lol

20170131_153737_zpsw52smnqt.jpg

And thankfully the huge rims are not fake chrome plated like normal.

20170131_153821_zpsadg0kgbx.jpg

The decals are very nice with many different number plate versions

20170131_153834_zpsd31vwduy.jpg

The carbon effect decals are really great with a nice tight weave pattern, much better than say the revell laferrari and it's much closer to scale. 

20170131_153845_zpsiixglona.jpg

And even has good detail withing the carbon effect 

20170131_153911_zpsjjymiccu.jpg

And last parts, the instruction booklet is in colour 

20170131_153927_zpsrw2t71aj.jpg

Though the instruction inside do look a little basic, almost Lego instructions or snap kit like. 

20170131_153956_zpsl0zzsu2h.jpg

In my next update I will be starting on actually building once I e done enough to warrant a post. 

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MetroRacing said:

Eeee Gads. Revell have ceased with the split wheel approach. 😁

Still managed to mess up the UK number plates though 😣 lol

Might have to pull up a chair for this.

Ashley

I get what you mean Ashley the number plates aren't great but I think I will be using the old car name plates anyway, funnily enough they include U.S. plates in decals but have no parts to use them on as they are more squares than rectangles.

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment Neil and I would definitely recommend you get one, so far it's a really nice kit. 

Right so today I have actually glued some plastic together. 

The 2 body side panels have been glued on, no real issues and fit was very good with no step between the parts like some older revell kits. 

20170131_175424_zpsjayqhvdm.jpg

The inner cooling ducts were stuck in. I can't remember which side but one of them didn't fit properly so a little filing down was needed other wise it would have left a 2-3mm gap.

20170131_175449_zpskfidyfno.jpg

20170131_175501_zpsdimm8cmz.jpg

I put in the doors and the front bumper roughly just to get the look right and find anymore problem bits but both doors fit perfectly and the front bumper just clips in. I have had to deepen some of the panel lines due them being so shallow that they would be filled up and not noticeable after primer, Base and clear coat. 

20170131_175650_zps6bujp9rd.jpg

20170131_175655_zpskhftk9oj.jpg

I then made a start to the interior parts and they fit in the body before being put on the floor pan which is a little odd but should be OK 

20170131_175725_zpsedjfssyt.jpg

Then onto the engine and it's a little simple but honestly what do you expect for a £20 kit. 

20170131_175400_zpszfdz0ge9.jpg

20170131_175405_zpsd5ud6cda.jpg

That's it for this update but being the car is so new there is very little to do before painting so most of the main parts are being primed today. 

Shaun

• Like 5

Thanks nick, they aren't bad I have noticed a few areas that need trimming but nothing like old revell kits to the point I already have some parts primed and ready for paint 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23

Looking good mate, I've just bought this kit for a future build. I will also be doing it in orange, I think, well that depends on what colour my son chooses and that changes with each passing day.

Anyway good luck with the build.

Hey flipper it really is a good kit from revell, if anything it all just falls together which for me is a pain as I wanted it to last longer that it has so far. When I comes to the colour I think I may be like your son as I am leaning away from the orange now to maybe more of a pearl gulf blue, but this may change again before the weather let's up enough for me to get some on the body. 

Shaun

• Like 1

So it's time for some progress on this build. 

I have got rid of the orange plastic with some grey primer 

20170203_165539_zpsqrkzi2hi.jpg

20170203_165548_zpss6nhlhbu.jpg

I do have to say I really love the lines of this car 

I have painted the floor pan in semi gloss black, there's not much to the floor so requires very little effort. 

20170204_144049_zpsfhwfdwqe.jpg

Also the engine has been painted in duraluminium 

20170204_144024_zpszjvbkojj.jpg

Now this is a pretty bad picture as it was from my phone in a hurry. But the rear subframe has been painted. It's a pretty vivid colour bit all will become clear soon. 

20170204_143832_zpsy3fqyqz8.jpg

So now for the big news. I did make a change in colour choice, from mclaren orange to ........... gulf blue. My thoughts are is this is the baby mclaren of the range and gulf blue is basically baby blue so it all fits in nicely. 

20170204_143814_zps6vk6g8yk.jpg

I have to say the guys at hiroboy really did a great job with this gulf blue as it's gone straight onto a grey primer and still come out very close to the proper colour, normally these light colour need a white Base. 

20170204_143820_zpseupdtzed.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 4

Right so I have made some progress with this build the last few days. 

The engine has been almost finished. It just need a few of the detail to be painted up.

20170207_142104_zpsuabuekav.jpg

20170207_142110_zpswrov0kgd.jpg

And one with how it should look in the subframe 

20170207_142125_zps8xf2flm3.jpg

I have added the decals to the seats, now I just need to clear coat them and get the shine down.

20170207_180653_zpsvrd61g36.jpg

The main body has been clear coated lightly and left to sit for a few days before applying the carbon decals. 

20170207_180551_zpsmrlnp731.jpg

A little closer and hopefully the next clear coats I do levels these decals out a little a I want them to have a deep satin shine

20170207_180605_zps9wqd601z.jpg

20170207_180621_zpsjbytqk3k.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 5

Right so I think this is due a little update. 

I've not been taking many pictures as of late due to the fact it's mainly slipped my mind and also I've not had much time at my bench so most of this has been done in 10 minute bits of time.

The floor pan and wheels are basically done now with the engine and subframe in. 

20170212_174704_zps9qdhu2gu.jpg

The exhausts are almost done with only the tips to go and the engine area is almost done with only 2 pretty big parts that need painting left to go on.

20170212_174725_zps4hrxygle.jpg

The body has had a few very light coats of clear put on but I think it was a little too cold as they haven't dried anywhere near as level as normal. 

20170212_174801_zpst1oswesp.jpg

Which is really noticeable in this picture 

20170212_174809_zps1er9nlqv.jpg

The rear engine hatch has had the carbon decals stuck on. Again they don't look like they have settled very well but I am hoping a coat of aqua gloss will sort that.

20170212_174848_zpsxcbq5mkf.jpg

And finally on the car to see the differences in the roof carbon with clear on and the cover with carbon but no clear yet and for me this just really shows how bad my decision was to try and clear coat in cold (well below the 16-20°c zp recommends).

20170212_174923_zpstq5egfn7.jpg

A quick rub down with mm3600 and another clear coat should fix this when it's a little warmer. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shood23 said:

And finally on the car to see the differences in the roof carbon with clear on and the cover with carbon but no clear yet and for me this just really shows how bad my decision was to try and clear coat in cold (well below the 16-20°c zp recommends).

Ahh, that explains why I had so much trouble with the Fiat 500 gloss coat. Uneven and a bit rough in places... I tried to gloss coat it in my garage where the temp was about 8 - 10 °C !

I'll have another go when the weather is warmer. 

Fantastic build by the way. I am drawn to getting this kit as well...

Cheers, Alan.

Yeah zero paints I have found are quite temperature sensitive recently but this is the first time I've been using them through a good ole disappointing British winter. 

I think I have already said it above but I will say it again, I would recommend this kit to anybody, I'm secretly hoping someone makes a liberty performance transkit for it as it would really suit that wholeJapanesestyle tuning.

Shaun

Edited by shood23

BAD NEWS POST

right so some not so great news, today I was getting some more clear on the body parts and I royally f.......ed up somehow. On the roof carbon it left massive spots on it, almost looked as if they was little needles been poked in it, and on every blue part the primer got pulled through the blue paint. 

So all the body parts are taking a ipa bath and I will start again in the next couple of days and hopefully this time I can sort out the paint properly.

More soon 

Shaun 

I'm not too annoyed really now about it as i was giving it some thought and I wasn't completely happy with the paint anyway so I guess the issues yesterday were just the tipping point. 

But it's now all back to how it was 2 weeks ago after an ipa bath so time to start again after a quick wash in normal water to get rid of any remaining ipa residue 

Shaun

22 minutes ago, MikeGTC said:

Hey man, 

Sorry to read about the paint problems. We all learn it the hard way :(

This is basicly why I don't build models during wintertime.

the car looked really nice.

Mike

I think I will make sure it's all warm from now on lol its funny really as I didn't have any problems through December and isn't any colder now than it was then.  

Shaun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is another build that stalled due to paint and then got pushed down the order because of other projects but I have got it back out today  (must be something to do with this weather it's near enough 20°c down here in the south) 

Right so to keep all you lot upto date i decided to change the paint again as over the last month and a half inches have seen lot of orange 570s' and a few blue ones, one being the exact same as I wanted to do but better, so I want something that no one has done yet and luckily just recently put an order into hiroboy for some paints so this is the new colour 

20170325_085256_zpscumla3qj.jpg

Above was after a couple of light coats, I have had problems with this colour before bubbling up in panel gaps and creases so slow and steady was the order of the day. 

Now this was after around 10 light passes to build the colour. 

20170325_103445_zpsnlhzf7iz.jpg

20170325_103454_zps2r0dwkh5.jpg

And now finally for this update this is after painting the roof black ready for some carbon and a couple of light coats of clear 

20170325_133324_zpsajnfzszl.jpg

20170325_133314_zpsrwzdloqq.jpg

The colour is zero paints plum crazy purple for those who were wondering. Originally I bought the purple for a future build of a liberty works performance car.

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Hi Shaun, Any updates on this one?

Andy.

None recently Andy. Finishing of my Mclaren f1 build took priority and since then there's been some very nice weather in the south coast so a trip over to Swanage train gala/event with the kids was decided by the other half, but I do have a few days off this week to get my airbrush blown apart for a proper clean then hopefully I can get some proper work done to plastic parts. 

Shaun

Right so I have had a good day of spraying today on this and some other builds. 

This should be the final coat of clear I need to put on as the rest will be done with semi gloss or flat clear. 

20170405_171305_zpsne4dxu4o.jpg

20170405_171311_zpsxzndlxqb.jpg

I just keep looking at this now thinking a few silver bits would suit the colour but then again the black/purple combo look nice. 

In a few days after letting the clear fully harden I will get the rest of the painting done to the rear. 

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 1

Right so a little more done to the Macca.

The body has been fully polished up and is now ready for the rear areas to be painted and carbon to be added.

20170408_174402_zpsua2kxx9q.jpg

Only the good had been finished in this next picture. 

20170408_114857_zpsuqqktitf.jpg

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 3