making your own static grass

cambridge

please, follow me in my madness:

static grass. if you build dioramas you eventually need it in different colors, different lenghts, and for each of those is a separate bag you have to buy. Now in the end static grass is just rayon fibre cut in pieces as far as i know.

what i was thinking is, do you think it would work a DIY device to produce yourself? 

what i was thinking is: you take a rayon reel ( of the color and fiber diameter you need ) than you take an electric motor with two rubber roll to unwind the reel and push the fiber into something like a needle that will guide the fiber. On the other side of the needle, where the fiber comes out, you put a second electric motor with a circular blade like a lawnmower that will cut the fiber into pieces, and a bag to collect them. 

it wouldn't cost too much ( two small engine, bits of electronics, some wood for the frame, nails and screws, the blade, it will end up between 10 and 20 dollars ) it would not be too much complicated, it wouldn't take much space ( it will probably fit in a shoe box ) 

making it properly you could put in a variator therefore you can set the relative speed of the two engines with the result you can cut different length of grass.

would a thing like this work? would it be useful? would you like to embark on this project with me? 

2 minutes ago, Graham316 said:

On youtube there is a guy who shows you how to make one using basic items and then shows you it working. I would recommend having a look at his video

can you link me such video? i've seen different videos talkin about static grass on YT but i must have missed the one you're talkin about

Edited by cambridge

I made one a few years back, really easy to make and gives good results, if you can solder then it's not an issue 

to knock one up.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959783-static-grass-applicator/#comment-1612993

The results of the device.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962150-tamiya-chieftain-converted-into-a-mk11/&page=15

47 minutes ago, Graham316 said:

this is part 1 of three But he is great in giving information regarding how to do it all

that is a static grass applicator.

i'm talking about something to produce your own static grass  not something to use to apply it once you have bought it. These are two different things

Edited by cambridge

easy-peasy.

go to a carpet fitter or shop. get an odd off-cut of carpet in your desired colour.

cut the fibres off the piece of carpet with scissors - like you are giving it a haircut

the fibres in most modern carpet are nylon or rayon mix, but a few are still high in wool so you need to choose carefully.

52 minutes ago, cambridge said:

i'm talking about something to produce your own static grass  not something to use to apply it once you have bought it. These are two different things

Personally I would just buy the bagged stuff rather than trying to produce it. It's not expensive 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Personally I would just buy the bagged stuff rather than trying to produce it. It's not expensive 

depends on what you have to do. a 10cmx10cm stand with 1 type of grass, not expensive i agree.

If you have to create a 1meter x 1meter stand, or many different stands with lots of types of grass, you may end up spending 50$ only in grass. 

Edited by cambridge

1 hour ago, cambridge said:

Sorry mate i must of misread it. I do apologise

I actually swear by this stuff

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/scenics-diorama-grass-green-line-gl-010

the only choice should be Green Line Grass , I have gotten tremendous results - that you can see here - in my Fiat G.55 Diorama - see below

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArticles/FIATG55/DavidWalker/FiatG55_1a.html

if you click on the 2 lower diorama pictures , you get a much larger picture to view