German Railway gun 80cm K(E) "DORA" - 1/35 by Soar ART Workshop

I think it is done... after several years of working on the big "Dora" in scale 1/35 from Soar ART Workshop, several pauses, restarts and lot of modifications and work on that big thing... a great kit, but also some problems, mistakes or wrong sizes ... All together the final kit is a giant... and looking amazing. But for its high price I would have expected some less mistakes in the kit ... and some parts with more details ... 

But with some additional work it will become a great, impressive gun model ..... 

First I want to show you a short survey of what I have used and what I have done to the kit .... 

Which additional material have I used? And for what? 

- plastic stripes, profiles, ... in different shapes and sizes for the new walk ways, the frames under it, for detailing other parts, for hand rails and ladders.
- brass pipes for walkways, aluminium profiles to strenghten the modified gun barrel from the inside, for other detail works
- foto etched parts from other kits or with additional stuff such as hand rails, switches, mesh, used all around the kit from different brands and scales... 
- buffers from RB Modells (turned brass) for each wagon
- balsa wood for the floor of each wagon
- wire in different diamaters and material
- ammo shells made of Aluminium from Schatton models
- figures from Masterbox ("Women at War"),, Trumpeter ("German artillery crew", 2x "German railroad gun crew"), MiniArt ("German Artillery Crew", "German Tank Crew Normandy 1944"), ICM ("German Staff Personnel", "German armed vehicle crew")
- wire rope for the elevators
- chain in different sizes
- food and bags from Reality in Scale
- and some other stuff which I had as left from other kits

Which colors have I used?

- the main painting was done with German Grey from Tamiya, highlights and shadows were made with different lighter greys from Tamiya and Lifecolor
- the bare steel on the wagons was painted in dark iron from Tamiya
- the wooden floor was painted in oil colors, then German Grey and salt used for the used surface
- details of the hole kit were painted mainly with different colors from Lifecolor
- bare metal at the gun was made with rub'n buff and polishing powder from Uschi v.d. Rosten
- Weathering was done with different oil colors, washes and filters from AK Interactive
- clear coat matt and shiny from AK Interactive and Valleyo
- figures were painted in colors from Lifecolor, Tamiya and Revell Aqua
- bare metal at hand rails, used areas, ... was made with a graphit pensil and stell powder from Uschi rubbed with a finger ... 

The main areas which I have modified, the main changes which I did ...

- the kit provides 4 wagons which was wrong. I have divided each in two and made all together 8 single wagons as base for the gun
- the wooden floors of the wagons was made with balsa wood instead of the plastic parts
- turned brass buffers from RB Models were used instead of the plastic parts
- all walkways were made new with plastic profiles, brass stripes and pipes and aluminium mesh as new floor
- all hand rails were lowered 1cm or - if two parallel handrails 0,5cm under and 0,5cm over the middle horizontal part
- all ladders and steps were modified and corrected in their size
- the gun barrel was cut in different sections, each shortend and corrected in length and form... installed aluminium parts to strengthen the new gun barrel
- the engine room was modified, walkway, additional exhaust on top, modified exhausts on the under side and a full engine inside, visible through the open hatches
- modification of the cable winches of the elevators and the crane hooks
- new ammo made of turned aluminium in correct size and shape
- modification and detailing of the loading mechanism on the upper plattform
- several details added which were missing in the kit or not correct
- made completely new decals on the computer, printed and added .... (the silvering is not that bad as on some pictures) :)
- and lot of more.... 

If you want to see more about the making of the kit please have a look at my website were I have explained everything in detail with lot of pictures.

I hope that you like the result .... 

ycgey638.jpg

qnrgj8m2.jpg

7ddd9oon.jpg

wfl2l736.jpg

sb5qx8tf.jpg

nwfw9pxs.jpg

mvti7yty.jpg

zlfi8o3w.jpg

fyssrt7x.jpg

nyg48k6d.jpg

le42adti.jpg

62s3msm4.jpg

t49gvw6c.jpg

fysucnw7.jpg

i22wcted.jpg

xt6r6wev.jpg

hmjmwf55.jpg

c2zj3qdh.jpg

pvnqa3ta.jpg

qprqexcv.jpg

... some details ...

8cxjubre.jpg

4cmg9azk.jpg

35t7aso9.jpg

u9le8snz.jpg

v5m9i297.jpg

398f6468.jpg

czivdenz.jpg

4q33yylc.jpg

4kmxzani.jpg

solg2acj.jpg

e35licby.jpg

uras952o.jpg

z4h3z7gb.jpg

pweowjw5.jpg

e7zy3lup.jpg

kx6l47bj.jpg

bv6vhmv7.jpg

ruci4sxq.jpg

k6fva8dl.jpg

ov236mop.jpg

dy8a6tno.jpg

cunthzwi.jpg

r8m2rm7w.jpg

pafr7gnz.jpg

rbwr584r.jpg

5jli5msb.jpg

82bcl8h3.jpg

j6vrn32p.jpg

tvhzbgmr.jpg

dyg3hcxl.jpg

hmqpnji5.jpg

ts6c7jk2.jpg

8pfx95oc.jpg

q4pxmc7t.jpg

zedidhfp.jpg

r42pvkow.jpg

z9gsjsqu.jpg

mjzyetsm.jpg

35m9p4jo.jpg

Oh.... I think these were lot of pictures.... I am sorry for that :)

Thank you so much for your interest in this project! 

Cheers,

Micha

• Like 22

I have often dreamed of making one of these but I have no room at all to display it - no matter how much I rearrange my shelves :)

It is not something you'd be carting to and from model shows that much is it? I remember seeing one at Melbourne Expo a couple of years ago and wondering to myself how they got it there. A truck was the first thought.

You done a fantastic job on the Dora and the end result is well worth the time and effort spent

Really great stuff. All you need now is a couple of diesels up front to pull it ;)

MH

Incredible. What you need to do now is build a 1/35th diorama of Dover, place  it 2/3rds of a mile away from Dora (approx) and take a wide-angle photo of the pair of them. :D

But seriously, that needs to be in a museum

Rearguards,

Badder

place it

• Like 1

sorry mate, wrong shade of grey, strip & start again.^_^

that is seriously good, must have been a real labour of love, hats off to you sir!

btw do live in a mansion?

Edit- agree with Badder, is certainly museum quality

Very nice job - I hear the decals are a bit of a pain, but the replacement set aren't much better :S  I have enough trouble storing mine in an un-built state, so storing the finished item is impossible for me at the moment! :lol:

Very impressive Micha. One of the guys at our club  has built one and had to pay £40+ for the poor quality decal sheet as it does not come with the kit. Hats off to you on the completion of this monster kit :worthy:

Brian