This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jim Kiker

Y-wing- 1/48 scale scratchbuild diary

33 posts in this topic

Cool.

i take a seat !

I think i will enjoy that journey :-)

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we have arrived back at the present in terms of the modeling work. I have only a couple of pictures to share this evening that will bring us fully up to the present.  I have had the bottom of the cockpit glued onto the main tub pieces for some time now, and in the picture below you can see the assembly just behind the cockpit as it will look when the model is complete.  Looking at the area just in front of the rear wing spar, you see the shutters (like Venetian blinds); this is more of my own "take" on the anti-gravity controls.  As with the lower neck, the louvers are meant to swing down for full vertical lift, or pointed towards the rear to impart some extra thrust.

lower%20rear%20fuse%20s_zpsh4nnbqkx.jpg

Next up below is a picture of the upper rear fuselage.  Again looking at the area just in front of the rear wing spar, you see the "devices" that create the anti-gravity.  If they look a little like washers that have been wrapped with wire, they should; that is exactly how I made them.  At this point I am working on the plates that form the upper rear end that cover the "hyper motivator."  I used thin sheet plastic to make the shape of the main panel using my drawings and checking the actual dimensions of the model.  There is also a set of exhaust shapes on the outer side of the front section of the panel.  These shapes mimic the shapes seen on the engines in several places; to me all of these shapes look like some kind of exhaust, so I am treating them accordingly.  I created a shelf piece and wrapped it in .015" sheet  so that it fits down over that raised piece that was already painted.  As you can see, I now have some re tidying of that panel's paint to do!  For what it's worth, the hole in the side of the narrow box is for one of the extra pipes that will run out to the engines.

upper%20rear%20fuse%20s_zps4tosdtnb.jpg

Well, that's all for now.  I expect to get the upper rear end of the fuselage complete and painted next.  After that I'll be making a base for this beast and then I can mount the engines and use the stand to hold the model while I work on the cockpit.  Stay tuned!

Cheers, Jim

2 people like this

Jim this is incredible! An absolute masterpiece. 

Loving this, really clean and accurate build. Definitely something to aspire to.