Y-wing- 1/48 scale scratchbuild diary

Hi all,

I have a fairly short update in store tonight, but it is a significant one.  With this post, I will be finished with my Y-wing!  Last time around I had completed the maneuvering vanes inside the vectrals.  As you can see below, I have now painted the insides of the vectrals and glued them into position.  I built up the eight piston assemblies, painted them on the outside, added a clear acrylic coat, and ran a light wash around the edges of the exterior edges of the pistons.  That last part shows up a little better in person, but I may need to add a second wash for a little more "pop."

Y- fini vectrals 3

Here is a close-up of the rear end of the assemblies.

Y- finis vectral 1

And here you can see the front end of the assemblies.

Y- finis vectral 2

Finally, we swap ends to see the nose blasters.  They were made from nested brass tubing and painted up.  The tips were given some scorching using pastels and clear coated as usual for me.  The blasters were then glued into holes I drilled into the thick front bulkhead and voila!  she is finito!

Y- finis nose

I am just finishing the paintwork on the stand.  Once that is done, I will post some pictures highlighting some of the details and some overall pictures of the model.  Thanks for following along, and I have to say, I am one happy camper to have this one complete; she has been a long time in coming!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...