De Havilland Mosquito FB.MK.VI - reference photos

Dances With Wolves

Hi folks.

The De Havilland Museum at Shenley, England is home to the Mosquito prototype, an FB.Mk.IV and an FB.Mk.VI. Although it's the museum's close season, the very charming Bob Glasby allowed me access yesterday while he and the team worked on their '6'.

Their wonderful hospitality extended to my squeezing into the cockpit of the '6', although I limited myself to the navigator's position - it has a bit more leg room!  ;D

Cue the '633 Squadron' theme...

633%20Squadron_zpscqqdugwu.jpg

I resisted the temptation to pull the flare pistol and load the cartridge by my leg...

Portions of the airframe are in bits, so I took the opportunity to cover off images of the Merlin 25s, the bull bars on the front of the undercart legs - note the cables on the 'X' frame that connect to the undercart doors (the retraction mechanism is a pair of bed springs on the rear nacelle wall), the bomb bay and fuel cells, as well as the cockpit. 

The external stuff are time exposures, brightened with a little flash. Sadly, this bonehead forgot to pull the wide angle diffuser on the flash in the cockpit, so vignetting features. 

The three Mossies were very close to each other, so a return trip beckons for more general exterior stuff. 

All in all, a brilliant day and Bob imparted much fascinating info about the Mosquito, including the miraculous survival of the prototype. Anyway, here's the link to the Photobucket folder. Feel free to save any images as you prefer for personal use but copyright remains with me.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/sdkfz124wespe/library/Tamiya 1-32 Mosquito/MosquitoFBMkVI?sort=3&page=1 

Happy days. :)

Steve :)

Edited by Dances With Wolves
  • Like 10

20 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Great photos and thanks for sharing.

Drop a line to Julien to see if they could be added to the Walkaround section.

Trevor

Thanks for that Trev - I've sent a contact to 'Admin' to do just that but not heard back yet. How do I contact J to double up on that please?

Steve :-)

NB: Thanks also to Jure and Don. :-)