Revell 1.48 F15E

Hey all

My next model I'm building is an 1.48 F15E from Revel it looks a good and challenging model to build. One downside is that it does not come with a pilot and the ejection seats supplied do not look very convincing. So has anyone built this and have you either obtained a pilot or purchased the high detailed pre moulded ejection seats? With this model I want the cockpit to really stand out so I will buying some added detail so if anyone knows where I can get a pilot can you let me know.

I'm starting this next week after I finish my A10 and I will post pictures as I build.

• Like 2

Morning, have one of these in the stash so will be following with interest. Just one point re the pilots, what era are you modelling? I only ask as modern aircrew have those larger, all singing and dancing helmets. At least the pilot does anyway.

Nice choice of scheme, will look good I think. If I ever get time for mine I'm sticking with a Lakenheath example with a C model for company. I have a load of nukes left over from a B1 build so thinking about the Armegedon look for mine, lol

So far I've ordered

Hataka 6x 17ml AS43 Acrylic Paint Set - Ultimate USAF F 15

Eduard 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle etch for Monogram or Revell kit

Don't see the need for PE on the external as the detail is already very good especially the engines

Discovered Hataka paints yesterday, what a brill idea.. (especially like the ball bearing inside each bottle)

Still undecided to have pilots or resin ejector seats

Edited by Destructions
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 11:20 PM, Destructions said:

Hey all

My next model I'm building is an 1.48 F15E from Revel it looks a good and challenging model to build. One downside is that it does not come with a pilot and the ejection seats supplied do not look very convincing. So has anyone built this and have you either obtained a pilot or purchased the high detailed pre moulded ejection seats? With this model I want the cockpit to really stand out so I will buying some added detail so if anyone knows where I can get a pilot can you let me know.

I'm starting this next week after I finish my A10 and I will post pictures as I build.

Hello,Destructions - Welcome to the Forum.I'm delighted that your building the Revell 1/48 Strike Eagle.I built this kit OOB.If you wish,please have a look at my topic titled 'Liberty Lady' - Lakenheath Strike Eagle.I used the kit parts throughout.Only the decals were aftermarket.See what you think.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 17:27, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Destructions - Welcome to the Forum.I'm delighted that your building the Revell 1/48 Strike Eagle.I built this kit OOB.If you wish,please have a look at my topic titled 'Liberty Lady' - Lakenheath Strike Eagle.I used the kit parts throughout.Only the decals were aftermarket.See what you think.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Hey Paul

Have taken a look and wow you did an excellent job, did the seat belts come with the kit? hope my come out close to what yours look like.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Destructions said:

Hey Paul

Have taken a look and wow you did an excellent job, did the seat belts come with the kit? hope my come out close to what yours look like.

Many thanks,Destructions.The seat belts were made from painted strips of masking tape and positioned over the kit's moulded strap detail.I tack them in place with superglue and pick them out with a fine brush.The buckles are merely a dab of silver paint on the end of a cocktail stick.If you have access to it,I'd recommend decorators masking tape as it has a slightly textured surface and when painted looks like the real fabric material.Give it a try,save a bit of money and put it towards your next purchase.🤔

🦅 All the best,Paul.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destructions said:

Also I have just noticed that the canopy has a seem line right down the middle, how did you manage to remove it?

Thanks

Hello,Destructions - That's a valid point to raise.Canopies scare me a little and I treat them very carefully! I know many of our colleagues on the Forum use a sharp blade to scrape the raised line away and then polish with varying grades of sander.

I used a nail sanding/polishing stick to remove the majority of the seam line.I say majority because I didn't want to make contact with the rest of the clear surfaces with the stick.Then,using a bit of toothpaste on a damp cloth,polished over the line of the seam.I washed and rinsed the canopy in readiness for the final stage.This was to dip the canopy three times in Johnsons 'Klear' allowing it to fully dry on each occasion.This built up a good 'depth' of shine which has basically hidden what was left of the seam.

I'll be following your progress with your build of an aircraft very close to my heart and wish you every success with it.😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 2

Thanks Paul

Great tips, this forum is helping me take my modelling to another level with the precision detail, not quite there yet but practice makes perfect. I will post some pictures of my progress.

• Like 1