Avro Vulcan B.2 - RAF Scampton 1970 ++FINISHED++

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress! :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix hope that you have a good weekend too.

We are having a rest this weekend, but we still have a lot of sorting to do after the loss of Caron's mum a couple of weeks ago. Meanwhile, I continue to grab what bit of modelling time I can in between helping and supporting Caron.

• 1 month later...

I haven't done anything on this for quite some time, but with a gloss coat on my final de Havilland build requiring time to harden up I was able to jump back to this one today. First job this morning was to squeeze some weight into the small gaps around the nose, then I was able to join the top and bottom halves together.

DSC01994_zpsknqgs1ue.jpg

This afternoon I masked up the intakes with some Blu-Tac then gave the lower surfaces a couple of coats of white primer, and this evening I added some gloss white. I now face the same situation as the other build with this needing time to harden off before I mask up for the upper camouflage colours. That should give me a few days to paint up smaller details though.

DSC01995_zpsgcn22abu.jpg

I am hopeful that there should be some improvement in the frequency of updates now too.

• Like 6

I masked up the underside earlier today and sprayed some primer over the top this evening. I am now going to leave that overnight and give it a light sanding tomorrow, then I can make a start on getting the camo colours on.

DSC02006_zpswouojpry.jpg

DSC02008_zpsen8lpbfz.jpg

This morning, after a light sand of the primer, I was able to draw on the pattern for the dark green areas using a soft pencil. Then I roughly followed these lines and airbrushed some Hu 163, building up a good layer. Again, I am going to leave this overnight before I mask up for the MSG.

DSC02009_zpsj4ot6stq.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work, It is  a nice little kit big enough to get some reasonable detail but small enough to do a good line up of models, shame they don't do the other V bombers.

I agree, it's a great little kit and I am looking forward to making the white Blue Steel version in the near future.

I have been trying to beat the weather this morning in the hope of getting some Medium Sea Grey on. I started masking with White-tac worms yesterday and finished filling these in this morning.

DSC02047_zpsbbyhbcnh.jpg

I then quickly thinned some Hu 165 and headed outdoors to airbrush this on, which I wrapped up about 45 mins ago. Shortly after cleaning the airbrush and packing everything away the rain started. :phew:

DSC02048_zps9iyqkxs6.jpg

After a couple of hours, it's dry enough to remove the masking. There are a few areas that need some attention, but overall, I am quite pleased with the way it looks.

DSC02049_zpswruuestf.jpg 

• Like 4

Looking nice.

I met a guy last week who would have been

there at Scampton around 1970. He was an

engine man on the Vulcans. I also met another

some time ago who witnessed a Vulcan on fire

on the runway and they weren't sure if the Blue Steel

was live or a 'blank'.

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, Silver Fox said:

Nice work on the camouflage, I used a similar technique on my 1/144th scale Vulcan.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, Bodmin said:

Neat work on that camo

Thanks gents. It's not something that I use very often, preferring a harder edge in smaller scales, which is probably more accurate. However, this has just left a slightly feathered edge that looks quite pleasing.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking nice.

I met a guy last week who would have been

there at Scampton around 1970. He was an

engine man on the Vulcans. I also met another

some time ago who witnessed a Vulcan on fire

on the runway and they weren't sure if the Blue Steel

was live or a 'blank'.

Thanks Pete. Sounds like the fire would have been a tricky one to deal with. The Lincolnshire landscape could have been quite different had they failed to get that under control.

My dad was a miner at Dinnington Colliery and we would often have family walks across to Roche Abbey, which lies between Firbeck and Maltby. It was on one of these walks that I had my first sighting of that unique White Delta shape. I can't say for certain but I think that it would have been based at Finningley, it is a memory that has always stuck with me.

I did not think then that years later I would be working in the machine shop at Chadderton, helping to manufacture aircraft components including Vulcan spares or repair items. I also remember the ensuing panic for any job cards stamped up AOG, they always had top priority and were often walked through the factory for each manufacturing process.

Yes, AOG was always I need it yesterday/panic mode.

Not to be used lightly. I wonder if it's still used.

The 'early bird' supply lorry was always supposed to

arrive on base by about 0600 hrs every day with AOG

and other similar items. Again, I wonder if they still run.

It seems to be a different air force nowadays.

• Like 1

Hi Pete.  

The FDS (Freight Distribution Service) is what its officially called nowadays (well, it was until a couple of years ago when I left} but us K.O.S. still knew it as the Early Bird or the Bird, whatever time of time day it was scheduled in.

As for AOG, once again it is still around as it is a known phrase in both Military and Civilian Aviation and Freight Transportation (for the priority movement of the spares themselves), but MoD in house there are a number of 'State' demand labels that define a demand by its effect on an aircraft or on the aircrafts operational role. 

• Like 2

This is the penultimate update for this one. Over the last couple of days I have tidied up some areas of the paint, unmasked the canopy. I brush painted this with some thinned colour taking care to match the camouflage pattern - I punched out the small round masks for those windows using a short length of micro tubing that had been sharpened at one end.

This afternoon I was able to add the decals to complete this phase of the build, and the undercarriage legs are now on too. Just the aerials, main undercarriage doors, crew entry door and refuelling probe to add, followed by some clear to finish things off.

DSC02066_zpsij2zqq6n.jpg

DSC02065_zpsolarpd9n.jpg

DSC02068_zps4qsjhsii.jpg

• Like 7

Having completed the last few details this morning, I am going to call this one finished. Here are a few final photos and I have taken some more outside for the gallery. I had intended opening the crew entry door but a combination of poor fit and confusing instructions have led to me closing it up on this occasion, which is a shame because there is a nice wing/squadrons decal on the door. I will have another go at this detail when I make the overall white Blue Steel version. 

DSC02124_zpskzqzotyc.jpg

DSC02125_zpsfijs9hep.jpg

DSC02126_zpsg43eyyeu.jpg

DSC02130_zpsdp7iuids.jpg

This kit was the Cyber Hobby 1/200 Blue Steel boxing of the Vulcan and I had a lot of fun reinstating the bomb bay doors to return it to a free fall B.2, just as they did with the original aircraft once the UK's nuclear option had become the responsibility of the Royal Navy's submarine fleet. 

It seems that XM595 may have gone through this refit around the end of 1969 returning to Scampton in 1970, this link shows her at some point in the 70's. Vulcan XM595

Thanks to @Enzo Matrix and @Col. for setting things up and running this group build. Finally, I would like to apologise to the rest of you for failing to comment on a lot of fabulous builds, but having had some family issues and four builds in the de Havilland Mega Group Build has not helped matters too much.

Cheers until next time.

• Like 7