Duel on the North German Plain

My second entry to this GB is to honour the Duel GB, which didn't make it through the poll for 2018.

It's also got something to do with my current obsession, having recently been introduced to the joys of AFV modelling. 

T001.jpg

The top one speaks for itself.   The lower one is a Chieftain - a multimedia kit from Sgts Mess Models.  The kit has a grand total of ten parts; four in resin and six in white metal.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

My money's on the Chieftain, unless Stix's T-64 joined in that is, in that case the Chieftain might be in trouble.  :viking:

Perhaps I should do something to even the odds a bit?  :hmmm:

An M60 might help...

A 1/35 M60A2 Starship is on my 'to do' list, but I haven't actually got the kit yet and I wouldn't have anywhere to put it if I did.  :rolleyes:

This looks pretty 1970's to me:

PT-76_light_reconnaissance_armoured_vehi

I have a score to settle with the PST 1/72 PT-76 (if I can find another one) and I already have the chopper or something very similar.....They all look alike to me.  :P

• Like 1

Glad to see you are going to be building your Modelcollect T-64 Mod 1972 as well. Can't wait to start mine! Looking forward to seeing your 10 part Challenger kit in progress too! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 10:06 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

A 1/35 M60A2 Starship is on my 'to do' list, but I haven't actually got the kit yet and I wouldn't have anywhere to put it if I did.  :rolleyes:

This looks pretty 1970's to me:

PT-76_light_reconnaissance_armoured_vehi

I have a score to settle with the PST 1/72 PT-76 (if I can find another one) and I already have the chopper or something very similar.....They all look alike to me.  :P

Is he flying the heli too? :shocked:

• Like 1

Okay, I've started on the T-64.  Photos later this weekend.

Just a word of warning to anyone building this kit - hello Stix...  :bye:

The instructions are just basically a guide to what the parts look like.  The recommended assembly sequence is a complete work of fantasy!

The instructions show the upper hull being assembled as one piece, complete with track guards.  This simply will not work.  There are two lugs on each track guard which fit into slots on the lower hull sides.  You simply cannot attach them to the upper hull as the instructions show.

I think I will comlete the lower hull, running gear and tracks before I do anything major with the upper hull.

So...   the instructions are rubbish!  The plastic, however, is excellent.  Although there may be an issue with one of the axles.  Time will tell...  

• Like 3

Hi Enzo. Thank you for the heads up about the instructions. After your suggestion I started on fitting the necessary parts to the sides of the hull instead of building the turret which the instructions have as the first stage. With regards the axle problem - do you mean the second ones back from the front on each side? If so; mines the same. I ended up cutting off the round lug. I think the hole has been positioned slightly out of place. I got all the others glued in and then used a metal ruler to line up all the axles - I found all the square holes were slightly larger than the square pegs so they all needed a bit of lining up.

I'll post some pictures of mine later.

Kind regards,

Stix

21 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How is your hull coming along.....Keen to see which approach you went for.  :coolio:

The suspension arms are fitted (and adjusted) and the wheels are on.  I really should post some photos! 

On 2/8/2017 at 8:39 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I really should post some photos! 

Yes I think you should! :whip: - Some of us are beginning to wonder if this project is actually happening! :hmmm:;)

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The lower one is a Chieftain - a multimedia kit from Sgts Mess Models.  The kit has a grand total of ten parts; four in resin and six in white metal.

That sounds like an ideal AFV kit for me, although there are still nine parts too many.  :D 

• Like 1

Bravo Mike, Bravo Mike, this is Echo Mike.  Contact! Wait, Out.

So...   let's take a look at the parts for the T-64. 

T002.jpg

T003.jpg

T004.jpg

All the components are beautifully moulded,  A minor issue is that the instructions are pants!!!   They give an understanding of where the parts go, but not the order in which they go together.  Some parts are used for different versions but have identical numbers on the sprues, so you really have to take care.

In this kit there are three turrest bases, but only one turret uppersurface - just choose the base which actually fits.

There is only one hull rear decking part.  There are two forward decking and glacis parts.  For this model you need to use the component which has pivot points for the folding armour.   There are also two sets of track guards.  Again, use the parts with pivot points.

T005.jpg

There are plastic tracks and - as you can see above - band tracks.  These are referred to as "DS" tracks in the instructions - which don't mention the plastic tracks... 

There is also a small PE fret and a tiny decal sheet.

• Like 2

First step was to build the lower hull and running gear.

As you will have seen above, the second set of axles from the front don't sit correctly.  The best course of action is to slice off the upper positioning pin and line the axles up while the glue dries.  Of course, I had gone too far before I discovered the problem :wall:  so I had to do a bit of surgery.

Eventually all the axles were on and the wheels lined up.  I like to put a bit of ballast in small-scale tanks so they have a bit more presence when they are picked up.

T006.jpg

T007.jpg

Tracks are primed and painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces track colour.

T008.jpg

Upper and lower halves of the turret assembled.  The hull decking components are shown but they won't be assembled until the tracks are on.

T009.jpg

• Like 3

Moving on to the Chieftain. The two kits couldn't be more different...

C001.jpg

There is a fair amount of scarring and pitting on the resin surfaces, so they were filled with Mr Surfacer and sanded down.

C002.jpg

The parts are nicely detailed but the right hand side track assembly is badly warped.  I tried immersing it in hot parter to remove the warp but no joy...   it's far too bulky for that.  No matter, I'll just pack the gaps with plastic card.

• Like 4

Hi Enzo. Great to see the photos and progress is looking good. I'm glad you managed to sort out the errant second axles! :fight: That Chieftain does look like an 'interesting' kit. I don't think I have seen one like that before. Just a heads-up: I don't know if you saw in my thread but the metal barrel for the T-64 doesn't have a positive location. I found that I spent a lot of time as the superglue dried adjusting the angle to make sure it was square and at a suitable elevation.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1