Deeds not Words

My first two entries to this GB are...   a Harrier and Jaguar.

A001.jpg

Two totally different aircraft, which would not normally be in the same build thread.  But I'm taking advantage of Rule 5 which says I can combine builds if there is a strong link between them. 

In this case, the link is that both aircraft are from No 20 Sqn, hence the thread title which is the squadron motto, Facta non Verba.

The Harrier will be using the kit scheme of an early GR.1 based at RAF Wildenrath in 1970.  The Jaguar will be finished as one of the first GR.1s delivered to 20 Sqn at RAF Bruggen in 1977.

• Like 5

With such a title I couldn't help but click in Enzo :D 

A cracking pair of choices to book-end 20 squadron's service during the decade in question :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

With such a title I couldn't help but click in Enzo :D

It's like clickbait...   Deeds not Words - what happens next will SHOCK you!!!   :lol:

I often think that 20 Sqn regularly got short shrift as no sooner had they got established on a type than they converted to another. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's like clickbait...   Deeds not Words - what happens next will SHOCK you!!!   :lol:

I often think that 20 Sqn regularly got short shrift as no sooner had they got established on a type than they converted to another. 

Unless the shock is how fast you complete this pair then hopefully not! :lol: 

Dare say a list of types they flew would read rather like a run-down of RAF front line kit throughout the ages. Always getting the new toys. Some of their longer serving pilots must have quite an array of different aircraft in their log-books.

Hi Enzo,

a rather impressive decision to do two kits!

Good luck!

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/02/2017 at 00:06, Davek72 said:

Come on Enzo...tell us what's going on...

On 25/02/2017 at 23:45, wimbledon99 said:

How are these going - Any progress? 

Okay, okay!   :D 

Starting with the Jaguar.

J001.jpg

J002.jpg

J003.jpg

It's a very nice kit, even if it is over twenty years old now.  Mine is in the original box, which means no flash.   I am aware that there are issues with the pylon shapes, but I'm not going to worry too much about that.  The CBUs are very plain indeed, but won't be used on this build, so no problems there.

So off we jolly well go.

J004.jpg

The fuselage builds up very quickly.  Intake interiors sparyed Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green.  The nose gear bay is sprayed with Lifecolor UA134 Zinc Chromate Yellow.  The cockpit is sprayed with Lifecolor UA033 Dark Gull Grey, which is a passable match for Admiralty Grey.

J005.jpg

And the fuselage completed.  The forward part of the main fuselage was filled with 20g of ballast - you can just see some of it through the intakes...

J006.jpg

Not much can be seen in the cockpit.

J007.jpg

Wings and intakes fitted.  Cleanup starts here.  I needed to use a little filler to fair the rear part of the wing into the fuselage.

J008.jpg

Ready for priming

J009.jpg

Initial prime with Alclad2 grey primer.

• Like 4

On with the Harrier.

The Airfix kit is only a couple of years old so I wouldn't expect any flash here.

H001.jpgH002.jpg

H003.jpg

H004.jpg

The intake assembly is a bit complicated on this kit.  The cockpit is again sprayed with Lifecolor Dark Gull Grey.  The external surfaces of the wheelbay walls were sprayed with the relevant camouflage colour.  The intakes and wheelbay areas were painted a silvery off-white.  I found that Lifecolor UA718 Wood Cold Light Shade is a good match for this.

H005.jpg

Cockpit and intake assembly fitted into the fuselage halves.

H006.jpg

And the fuselage closed up.  The instructions recommend fitting the tailplane assembly at this point.  I didn't.  I added the blanking piece at the base of the fin and fit seperate the tailplanes and fit them later.  This is a very early GR.1 so I have filled the round cooling vents in the tailboom.

H007.jpg

H008.jpg

Intakes fitted with the relevant dropped doors for a parked machine. The intake lips were painted with the relevant camouflage colour.  As recommended by the instructions, I have removed a vent fairing from the engine bay doors and filled one of the antenna mounting points just behine the cockpit.

H009.jpg

Wings and fin fitted.

H010.jpg

Gunpods and windscreen also fitted, then the airframe was primed with Alclad2 grey primer.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Hewy said:

What, you had the day off work  today or what,

Looking good again,hows that alclad grey go on ,how long does it take till it can be painted on

Glynn

Actually, I did have the day off work! 

Alclad2 is my preferred primer.  I spray it on with successive mist coats, which only take about five minutes to dry each.  Once the final coat of primer is on, the model is ready for paint in an hour.    Remember though - Alclad2 is lacquer based so need to be sprayed in a very well ventilated area.

• Like 1

Whoah!! Slow down, man!

I was about to suggest checking the colour of the Jag intakes, but I did it myself, so now I wont. :)

On 30/01/2017 at 8:05 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The Jaguar will be finished as one of the first GR.1s delivered to 20 Sqn at RAF Bruggen in 1977.

This I like a lot, I might one day finish my 1/48 on delivery day to 2 Sqn. I do like a nice, clean n smart, proper camo Jag, they look very serious yet classy in that scheme.

Come on then, hurry up! :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Can I ask what the brown and black substances are and how you use them? 

It's just Tamiya paint which has been allowed to settle. I then paint the sludge at the bottom of the bottle onto various joint lines and it acts like a cheaper version of Mr Surfacer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's just Tamiya paint which has been allowed to settle. I then paint the sludge at the bottom of the bottle onto various joint lines and it acts like a cheaper version of Mr Surfacer.

I use decanted plastic filler primer from halfords dabbed on with a brush ,hadn't thought of your version I'll give that a go .

Glynn

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Great idea - I guess it's easier to sand down too??

• 3 weeks later...

The Harrier, sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1004 Dark Sea Grey and masked with Blutak worms and Copydex.

H011.jpg

Uppersurfaces sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green and masking removed

H012.jpg

Undersurfaces sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey.

H013.jpg

I am experimenting with a gloss coat of ordinary car lacquer.  It seems to work okay, which explains the high gloss finish on this one.

• Like 2

On to the Jaguar. 

J010.jpg

This aircraft didn't have the grey undersurfaces.

J011.jpg

With some detail painting completed.  The rear fuselage (which can't be seen clearly :wall: ) is sprayed with AK Xtreme Metal Dark aluminium. 

The Suncorite painted gun muzzles have been represented with red car primer.  This will need to be toned down later on. 

J012.jpg

Both models ready for stickers...

001.jpg

• Like 5