Newcomer

colsom

Hi all,

I'm Colin.  I retired recently and decided it was time to finish my 1:100 scale model of HMS Victory I started 37 years ago then put aside when the kids were born. Also dug out a 1:12 scale kit of a P34 6 Wheel Tyrrell which got started over 40 years ago and was put to one side as I struggled with one particular bit. I have also just acquired 3 x 1:24 Airfix kits....A Spitfire Mk. VB, a Hurricane Mk 1 & Messershmitt BF109E and 1:48 Airfix Augusta Westland Merlin HC3. Having not touched model kits for such a long time I thought I'd have a few minutes looking at the Airfix site for bits and pieces. One thing led to another and lots of reading and several websites later I realised that glueing a kit together, slapping a bit of paint on and hanging it from the bedroom ceiling has long since gone out of the window. The detail that serious modellers put into their builds is inrcredible. Rather then put me off the builds it has given me massive food for thought. I have always been a bit of a perfectionist with things and as such I am looking forward to the challenges ahead. I have a million and one questions to ask so please, everybody, be prepared to be pestered. I have decided to finish off the part completed kits first. I probably won't go to great lengths to make them look weather worn or anything like that. I have one question I would like answering though. I started the kits with Humbrol enamel paints. I am curious about acrylics though which I've never used. If I finish the kits off with acrylics will they look odd or is the difference negligible? Can acrylics be brush painted without leaving lines or should I bite the bullet and buy an airbrush? Do I thin them first or not? Do acrylics come in gloss and matt like enamels or do I need some sort of gloss covering? Which brand acrylics should I use.  Oh dear. That was more than one question. See what I mean. HEEEEELP!!!!!!!!

P.S. Does anybody do any relate counselling?? Thought I'd better make a booking early before my wife progresses from being a fishing widow to a fishing and modelling widow.

Welcome back to the world of plastic models.

Many of us have switched to acrylics over the past 20 odd years. They have a number of advantages over enamels. They tend to not smell so much for a start. And they generally have much faster drying times.

The big disadvantage is that they are less user friendly when it comes to brush painting. I tend to airbrush my acrylics and only use brush painting for small details. I have completely abandoned enamels these days with the odd exception.

One thing you need to bear in mind is that the term "acrylics" covers a broad sweep of "non enamel" paints from different manufacturers. They all have different characteristics. Personally I stick mainly to Tamiya acrylics (because they are failrly easy to find) and Hannants Xtracrylic range (which is good for British authentic RAF and Royal Navy aircraft colours).

Another option is to use aerosol spray paints. Tamiya do a range of acrylic sprays and many UK modellers make use of Halford's extensive range of acrylic aerosol; paints. The Halfords range is very good for primers. I always have a can of white and grey primer to hand.

Finally, I think every modeler should have a go at least using an airbrush. However, that is a whole world of its own when it comes to makes, styles, costs etc.

I would highly recommend getting to a model show at some point this year where you might be able to get to see an airbrush supplier demonstrating their range. Also, youtube is now a very useful resource for seeing various techniques in action - although the standard of narration and presentation can very hugely.

I echo what Eric says and would add this. Tamiya paints are great if you spray, but can be a PITA if you brush paint. I find that the Vallejo paints are very good  for both. If you look here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012698-hasegawa-172-m-1e1-abrams/ you'll see a discussion Sgt. Squarehead and I had on this very subject and he makes some very good points.

Jon.

Many thanks to you both for the advice. You've confirmed what I was thinking. I'll look for a model show Eric. It would make choice much easier. Gonna be a while before I get to the Airfix kits so there's no rush.

Checked out the conversation John. Lots of good tips. So glad I didn't just dive in head first with the acrylics.

The more I read the more I'm looking forward to learning all the different techniques. I've already started downloading close up pics of the Spitfire which has already given me ideas.

Watch this space as they say. It may be several months before I get round to the Airfix kits but I'll keep the forum posted on my progress.

Col

Hi Col and welcome.

A little note of caution about mixing Enamel and Acrylic paints.

You can paint Enamel paint over dry Acrylic paint with no problems.

But do not paint Acrylic paint over Enamel paint as it will react with it and bring it off.

Halfords acrylic car spray cans are good, I use the grey and white primers, the Aluminium colour for silver aircraft and the Appliance White for gloss white finishes.

Tamiya acrylic spray cans are excellent, good covering and dry quickly. For brush painting Vallejo acrylics seem good. Humbrol enamels are not as good as they once were but I still use them for brush painting although it is probably good that my wife cannot hear me two floors down................

Hope you enjoy getting reaquainted with modelling.

all the best. Adrian