Help for Tank noob with Panzer IV F2 paint and decals

lifeofbrian

I have a 1/16 Panzer IV F2 which I need to paint, I have Tamiya XF-63 German Grey, is this the right paint for an F2? I would like to paint a Tiger 1 in the same paint, is this realistic?. Also I need an opinion on some decals for the F2, are they correct for a realistic version. I'm no rivet counter but I'd hate to have every tanker look at it and think "shame the markings are wrong".

ep_2281.jpg

ep_2359.jpg

The first set appear to be for an Ausf H, a later variant, no idea about the second.....Probably better to choose the tank you want to model and then source decals to suit (especially working in this monster scale).  PM me if you need any help with reference materiel.  :coolio:

• Like 1

I know the top decals say H version, but would each model get specific style markings? Would an F2/G from the same Reg/Div have the same markings?

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The first set appear to be for an Ausf H, a later variant, no idea about the second.....Probably better to choose the tank you want to model and then source decals to suit (especially working in this monster scale).  PM me if you need any help with reference materiel.  :coolio:

I don't even know if that division was ever issued with F2s without checking (it's an uncommon variant) and even the unit marking styles changed over the course of time.....So I very much doubt it TBH:fraidnot:

Happy to help you track down an interesting F2 (I'm doing a couple from 6 Pz. during Operation Winter Storm in 1/72) and will do my best to point you toward suitable deacls, TBH in that scale masking and spraying might be just as easy (I believe there may be pre-cut templates out there).  :nerd:

• Like 1

Yeah, you can get masks from Germany. The F2 is practically the same as the G isn't it? The only problem is, most decals and masks seem to be for desert paint and I want either Panzer Grey or camo.

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I don't even know if that division was ever issued with F2s without checking (it's an uncommon variant) and even the unit marking styles changed over the course of time.....So I very much doubt it TBH:fraidnot:

Happy to help you track down an interesting F2 (I'm doing a couple from 6 Pz. during Operation Winter Storm in 1/72) and will do my best to point you toward suitable deacls, TBH in that scale masking and spraying might be just as easy (I believe there may be pre-cut templates out there).  :nerd:

Confused myself there, I've got so many ongoing builds I lose track of them all.....My F2 are actually from Grossdeutschland, not 6 Pz.!  :doh:

They are camouflaged in dunkelgelb (or possibly gelbbraun) over panzergrau:

panzer_IV_AusfF2G_HD.jpg

Several other examples (including camo) here:  http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_IV.php

• Like 1

What is that thing under the turret? Is it for moving the antenna? It's about the only accessory I've never seen in 1/16.

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Confused myself there, I've got so many ongoing builds I lose track of them, my F2 are actually from Grossdeutschland, not 6 Pz.!  :doh:

They are camouflaged in dunkelgelb over panzergrau:

panzer_IV_AusfF2G_HD.jpg

Edited by lifeofbrian
  • Like 1

It shouldn't be there? Did they not have them? War thunder is lying to me.

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yup and it shouldn't be there.  :rolleyes:

I was trying to find an illustrative image of my GD PZ.IV Ausf F2s and that was the best I could come up with in a hurry.....Never trust a profile for more than inspiration IMHO:nerd:

Edited by lifeofbrian

They're normally only seen on the short barreled (L/24) variants (Ausf A to Ausf F).....I'd never noticed one on a F2, but having checked:

panzer-iv-f2-6.jpg

This is definitely the exception rather than the rule.....As I said, I'd never noticed one before.  :nerd:

PS - Judging by the Stuart in the background this is probably a DAK vehicle, they had some very odd stuff.  :rolleyes:

This was the one I liked from that site:

panzerIVF2_SSbat_1942_HD.jpg

I found the decals for your one I think.

ep%203238-1.jpg

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Confused myself there, I've got so many ongoing builds I lose track of them all.....My F2 are actually from Grossdeutschland, not 6 Pz.!  :doh:

They are camouflaged in dunkelgelb (or possibly gelbbraun) over panzergrau:

panzer_IV_AusfF2G_HD.jpg

Several other examples (including camo) here:  http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_IV.php

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

They're normally only seen on the short barreled (L/24) variants (Ausf A to Ausf F).....I'd never noticed one on a F2, but having checked:

panzer-iv-f2-6.jpg

This is definitely the exception rather than the rule.....As I said, I'd never noticed one before.  :nerd:

PS - Judging by the Stuart in the background this is probably a DAK vehicle, they had some very odd stuff.  :rolleyes:

The appendage beneath the barrel was designed to deflect the radio antenna, if erected, as the turret traversed right. 

It was way more important on the Pz IV A-F(1) models with the short barrelled 75mm. If you see an F2 with the deflector, it was most likely an up gunned F(1) and just never removed.

G

• Like 1

This is a captured tank I believe. There's an M3 and a Priest (I think) behind it. The gun could have been sabotaged by the crew before they abandoned her. The most common practise when time was limited was to drain the recuperator fluid and fire the gun. 

G

• Like 1

Not sure if it's any help but echelon do a set of decals for the panzer iv in 1/72 which has the F2 on.

Could scan the instructions if they'd be of use?

• Like 1

If you really want to have fun and get contest judges scratching their heads paint a tank in Tropen colors and put Russian front markings on it. Quite a few tanks earmarked for Africa were diverted to Russia late '42 and early '43.

RAL 8020 Pz IV F1's with an overspray of RAL 7028 Dunkel Grau were seen. StuG III F8's in RAL 8020 camouflaged with Olivgrun and Rotbraun.  

The list is endless. I'm sort of devious that way. ;)

A good old Panzer IV in Dark Gray though is a wonderful thing. 

G

• Like 2