My 1/48th Sherman collection.

25 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That is a really great collection of Shermans! Very impressive modelling throughout. :worthy:

I must admit I think 1/48 is a good size for modelling AFVs although I am enjoying making the 1/35 Tamiya Panther D at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks a lot. Yes, 1/48th is a good AFV modelling size if for no other reason that they don't take up as much room when you display them.

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If that had been in 1/35th scale, I would have collapsed in the corner and would have been heard whimpering "Not another German tank", but as it's 1/48th, you have to take what comes along.:mellow:

John.

A Churchill would have been nice or even some post war British heavies.

Dick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If that had been in 1/35th scale, I would have collapsed in the corner and would have been heard whimpering "Not another German tank", but as it's 1/48th, you have to take what comes along.:mellow:

John.

Actually this is one German AFV I'm quite happy to see. So weird it should have been British and produced by Fowlers, Fosters or even Beyer-Peacock fitted with a 6pdr gun!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

The moulds were used until they died. The masters IIRC were designed to be sacrificial when making the mould. I'm sure Tim could make a new set of masters but, given the hassle he had with the 48th crowd over his beautiful Comet, I doubt it will ever happen.

I was going to mention the Bandai kits but Troy's reply (and yours) arrived as I was typing. Over on the T48 forum Konrad Schrier has got some great fixes for the worst problems on the HB kits. Looking at mine I think HB have upgraded the kits on the sly since initial releases. 

What would be good is replacement rubber and steel chevron track for the HVSS to replace the narrow kit offerings which would also be good for the Pershing. I live in hope.

I think it's very unlikely that Tim would step back into 1/48th armour again, as the last time that I spoke with him, he said that he would be putting all his efforts into building 1/32nd WW1 aircraft. But it would b nice to get hold of various types of Sherman track. The other thing that I really want for another Sherman project, is VVSS units with the upswept trailing arm. As far s I'm aware, all of Tamiya's and Hobbybosses are the straight variety. Maybe there are some amongst the Bandai kits.

Tanks for the info on Konrad Schrier's Hobbyboss fixes.

John.

6 minutes ago, jenko said:

Amen to that. The name escapes me at the moment, but somebody does a resin A13 in 1/48th.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Amen to that. The name escapes me at the moment, but somebody does a resin A13 in 1/48th.

John.

Kengi in the US. Ken Swanson hasn't got a website or anything but if you PM me with your e-mail I got his current list just before Christmas which I can forward to you. They're very nice kits with pretty good instructions. Ken is a professional model-maker in the film industry and it shows.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, S3PT1C said:

You have some great skills there fella.

Thank you very much. Nice of you to say.

John.

3 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Kengi in the US

That's the one. PM on it's way.

John.

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Dick

At one stage AFV Club were meant to be releasing one in 48th, things seemed to be happening then they didn't. Tim was working on a Churchill to follow the Comet but well... Gasoline have just released a Churchill III in resin Dave Morris has got one and rates it. I'll be bashing one into a Gun Carrier in MiB2 later this year. If Tamiya ever do one it will likely be a MkVII Crocodile I'd think. But we can hope.

BTW the Gasoline one is fine for UK or Italy as it has all the rework mods, would need backdating for N.Africa.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Pretty collection of "mix-Shermans", very nice all, but my favorite "Firefly" (no for the movie...:sleepy: lol), If in 1/48 they look like this, in 1/35 ...

:goodjob:, cheers John

Thanks Francis. Appreciated.

John.

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Lovely collection. I made a sherman MkII from the Hobbyboss kit at one point.

Thanks Nick,

Yes, I still have a couple of Hobbyboss Shermans left along with three Tamiya Fireflies and an M4A1, so that should keep me going for a while.

John.

PS. The Centaur wheel masters are in Canada now and moulds should be made soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tonyot said:

They all look superb John,......... all really interesting subjects too,

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony. Glad you liked them.

John.

• Like 1

Nice collection!

On the subject of 48th.... Tamiya somehow relaunched last year with a modern (Japanese) main battle tank and a light armoured vehicle :)

Very nice kits and maybe there is hope for more mainstream modern subjects in 1/48!

Nice work John !! I haven't tried to build any tanks yet but I do have a few 1/48 scale Tamiya Shermans in my kit stash. Thanks for posting.                        Bob H.

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice collection!

On the subject of 48th.... Tamiya somehow relaunched last year with a modern (Japanese) main battle tank and a light armoured vehicle :)

Very nice kits and maybe there is hope for more mainstream modern subjects in 1/48!

Thanks a lot. I'm afraid that my build interest is very similar to my attention span....limited! Basically, just WWll  British/Commonwealth armour. Though having said that, if anyone was to bring out a Centurion or Chieftain in 1/48th, I'd jump at it.

John.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Henry said:

Nice work John !! I haven't tried to build any tanks yet but I do have a few 1/48 scale Tamiya Shermans in my kit stash. Thanks for posting.                        Bob H.

Thanks Bob. You'll probably fin the Tamiya Shermans very enjoyable to build. Their only downside is those awful cast lower hulls.

John.

12 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi John,

Keep forgetting to look around more, great collection each one has it's own personality :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'll probably get around to building some more one day, when I get time. Don't ever let anyone tell you that retirement allows you the time to do all the things that you wanted to do...no chance!

John.