My 1/48th Sherman collection.

I've got six Shermans inn my 1/48th scale collection, although one them, a Mk.Vc Firefly is in a rather dilapidated condition and requires rebuilding. The others are a mix of different marks from various sources. Kit wise, I only know of the three from Tamiya (Mk.1c, M4A1 and M4) and the ones from Hobbyboss which are based around M4A3's and early M4's. There are, or have been, a few after market offerings in resin to produce different marks.

This first one was the first that I built in this scale, namely an early direct vision Sherman ll. This uses the lower hull from the Tamiya M4A1 and the upper hull from the German company MR Modelbau, who also supplied the early M3 VVSS. Decals are from Bison.

04b538d0-58cc-4268-b121-1702b6560382.JPG

1ad2f1dd-7ecc-4981-9386-2d018eb3afd0.JPG

The second one is a Sherman lla. To build this one I used the Hobbyboss M4A3 lower hull and turret coupled with an M1A1 barrel from RB Models. The upper hull came fro m a US company called Iron Division, which I think unfortunately, is no longer trading. Decals again are Bison.

da52755f-37d0-4a0e-98fc-10430ebdaf33.JPG

206a676b-731b-407f-8943-74ab5d565195.JPG

Next up is a Mk.V of the RMASG named "Fox". This came from the excellent resin kit from Fighting 48th, who once again are sadly, no longer available. The kit is actually meant for the Firefly, so the M4 turret from Tamiya was used instead along with an RB Models barrel. The decals were custom made for me by Ernst Peddinghaus.

dc319ae0-d55b-4b8c-a2fa-05469cf84043.JPG

1acc5f3f-5e0e-47bf-a684-a1b11ec4d9b5.JPG

Once again, Iron Division supplied the upper hull for this one. The lower hull, VVSS units and the turret came from Tamiya's Firefly 1c and the 17pdr is R Models.

ad6f786a-7594-4de6-ad97-0ca8b89b4c35.JPG

29aa8d38-6240-444c-a154-be7db4b824cf.JPG

f595ca41-ef59-4b0c-b361-54bc75ddf8dc.JPG

Finally, I built this 10 years ago and just after I completed it, Black Dog announced that they were going to do one in resin, although I don't think that they ever did. The lower hull was completely scratch built and then I added the HVSS units from the Hobbyboss M4A3E8 kit. The upper hull was a combination of the front piece of the Tamiya M4 mated to the rear half of the Hobbyboss M4A3 with an extension piece each side. I used the Hobbyboss M4A3 turret and glued a load of plastic onto the rear and then blended it in with Milliput. The mantlet was made from a triangular piece of plastic to which a barrel made from a Panthers 75mm along with a scratch built muzzle brake was fixed. The engine deck was made from card and the decals again came from Peddinghaus.

b60a52e5-9d2b-4c73-b4f1-350875a34566.JPG

cae97d86-101b-43f9-9b96-1ec8e70e67a8.JPG

I will one day get around to building the others that I have in the pipeline, namely Sherman lll, M51 and (I know it's not a Sherman, but almost) an M3 Grant.

Regards,

John.

• Like 26

43 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Those are all splendid.....Can't make my mind up which one I like best!   Your colour modulation is really nicely done, subtle and lively all at the same time.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Sgt. I have to say that my favourite is the Hybrid Firefly. I made a complete **** of it first time around and had to do it again, but I was happy with the result. The one that gave me most enjoyment though was the M50. I love scratch building.

John. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Derbyeomanry said:

What make  of kits are they - Trumpeter and Tamiya?  Nice builds

As I said in the thread, they are mostly based on the Tamiya and Hobbyboss kits. As far as I'm aware, Trumpeter don't make 1/48th armour (not Shermans anyway).

John.

4 minutes ago, jenko said:

This is a masterclass in what can be done in 1/48. I do wish we could see more modellers using this scale.

Dick

Thanks Dick. 48th is the scale that got me into armour modelling in the first place. When Tamiya got involved, I thought that it would take off, but sadly not.

John.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I recently got into 1/48 modern(ish) stuff.....It took me less than a year to buy almost all the injection kits currently available.  :confused:

Yes, the range isn't huge unfortunately. Maybe now that Airfix have dipped their toes in the water, others might follow.

John.

• Like 1

Keep hoping they will add to their range, a 1/48 CVRT would be sweet.  Wish someone would devise a decent etched bar-armour set for their Warrior too, I'd love to do a bells & whistles build of that kit, but the OOTB plastic slats are hideous IMHO. :confused:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Keep hoping they will add to their range, a 1/48 CVRT would be sweet.  Wish someone would devise a decent etched bar-armour set for their Warrior too, I'd love to do a bells & whistles build of that kit, but the OOTB plastic slats are hideous IMHO. :confused:

Maybe Shapeways could come up with something.

John.

• Like 1

What a great collection and so well executed. Lovely work.

I am starting to see more 48th builds at shows nowadays, I think Tamiya did themselves or us no favours with the early diecast hulls, oversimplified details and strange subject choices. Now the first two are history and hopefully stay that way. It took a while for 35th to catch on in a much less crowded market so I think there's time yet.

Most of Bob's Iron Division stuff is available through Tank Workshop nowadays, Tims tracks will be coming from Ian Hanratty at Friendship Models (I know as I sold him the masters) but the Sherman and Comet are history. 

• Like 2

On 30/01/2017 at 17:48, Bullbasket said:

I've got six Shermans inn my 1/48th scale collection, although one them, a Mk.Vc Firefly is in a rather dilapidated condition and requires rebuilding. The others are a mix of different marks from various sources. Kit wise, I only know of the three from Tamiya (Mk.1c, M4A1 and M4) and the ones from Hobbyboss which are based around M4A3's and early M4's.

Hi John

maybe of interest to know that Bandai did a family if 1/48th kits, IIRC they did 5 Shermans,  M4A1, M4A1 76, M4A3, M4A3 76, M4 with 105 mm howitzer.

From reading post of Bruce Culver on Track48 they are basically decent, but the tracks need replacing. Some or all were re-issued by Frog Fuman, and they do turn up fairly often on ebay.

It would be neat if Airfix took the plunge on some more 1/48th armour,  if the did an M4A4 that would allow some useful cross kitting.

All the builds are great, the israeli one is particularly impressive though. 

details of the Hobby boss Shermans, and their problems are here

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/hobbyboss/hobbyboss.htm

cheers

T

PS 

just for completeness, ran  across these 1/48th Sherman...

Mitsuwa

43030P1010014.JPG 

73317P1010043.JPG

I presume both are for collectors or curios....

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Many thanks. You're right about Tamiya's cast lower hulls, although because it is a soft metal, you can still do things with it. I built a Cromwell lVf and depicted it crossing a railway line so that the second and third sets of road wheels are  displaced. It was fairly easy to do.

Great to hear that Tim's tracks will resurface again, but a real shame about the Sherman and Comet. Any idea what happened to the moulds?

John.

Just for info. I see Tamiya will be releasing an Elephant and zimmereit to go on it this year ...... info from Nuremberg toy fair.

More expense ..........................dam  :doh:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

That is a really great collection of Shermans! Very impressive modelling throughout. :worthy:

I must admit I think 1/48 is a good size for modelling AFVs although I am enjoying making the 1/35 Tamiya Panther D at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

The moulds were used until they died. The masters IIRC were designed to be sacrificial when making the mould. I'm sure Tim could make a new set of masters but, given the hassle he had with the 48th crowd over his beautiful Comet, I doubt it will ever happen.

I was going to mention the Bandai kits but Troy's reply (and yours) arrived as I was typing. Over on the T48 forum Konrad Schrier has got some great fixes for the worst problems on the HB kits. Looking at mine I think HB have upgraded the kits on the sly since initial releases. 

What would be good is replacement rubber and steel chevron track for the HVSS to replace the narrow kit offerings which would also be good for the Pershing. I live in hope.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

maybe of interest to know that Bandai did a family if 1/48th kits, IIRC they did 5 Shermans,  M4A1, M4A1 76, M4A3, M4A3 76, M4 with 105 mm howitzer.

From reading post of Bruce Culver on Track48 they are basically decent, but the tracks need replacing. Some or all were re-issued by Frog Fuman, and they do turn up fairly often on ebay.

Hi Troy,

Many thanks. Yes, I really enjoyed building the IDF one, but as Sod's Law would have it, Tank Workshop have produced a resin one now as well as an M51 and a Chilean M60. They are going to severely empty my bank balance!

Thanks for the info about the Bandai Shermans. I was unaware of them. I know what you mean about the tracks as I have the Frog Valentine and bought some after market resin ones.

John.

21 minutes ago, jenko said:

Just for info. I see Tamiya will be releasing an Elephant and zimmereit to go on it this year ...... info from Nuremberg toy fair.

If that had been in 1/35th scale, I would have collapsed in the corner and would have been heard whimpering "Not another German tank", but as it's 1/48th, you have to take what comes along.:mellow:

John.

• Like 1