Novelties from Special Hobby

Branky

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

No matter how much it is, it'll be "overpriced" for some. :lol: Those same folks that would prefer it to be -£10 and come with a free backrub, and would still complain the rub wasn't good enough.  :dull:

A bit unfair, Mike. Many people don't have lots of money to spend on their hobbies.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

A bit unfair, Mike. Many people don't have lots of money to spend on their hobbies.

I'm feeling a bit unfair today, :) but there's a grain of truth in it anyway ;)

• Like 1

There is no fixed yardstick what is overpriced and what is not but it depends a lot on quality of kit and the exclusivity of the subject  . If I can get Tamiya's 72nd scale zero or Corsair for 10$ from Japan or Eduard's Mig-15 profipack for 12$ from some Polish or Czech republic shop , then it will be a difficult decision indeed to pay 15-20$ for the AZ model mig-17 or 20$ for Sword's ki-84  .  Here it all boils down to the exclusivity of the subject - some weird odd plane that Tamiya or Eduard or Revell will never make , yeah that does justifies a higher price to compensate for lower volume of sales.

On special hobby , I think their products are well priced - if we consider economy of scale , then the rational way to offset the lesser demand for kits like Fouga magister or folland Gnat is slightly higher price than say Eduard . A Short Sunderland is no B-17  , it will likely cost more than what airfix demands for their bomber . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

I think their products are well priced

I do too actually.  Their Tempest Hi-Tech boxing is superb value as well, with the kit and a whole bunch of resin included for a surprisingly small (relatively) slice of your wallet :)

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

A Short Sunderland is no B-17  , it will likely cost more than what airfix demands for their bomber . 

Indeed. Worth bearing in mind that when the relevant Airfix kits were all of the same generation, their Sunderland was always more expensive than their B-17G and Lancaster, being a significantly larger aeroplane.

• Like 1