Novelties from Special Hobby

Branky

35 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

A new 1/72 Sea Vixen to the standard of their recent mouldings would be particularly nice. Did Special Hobby do the Xtrakit Sea Vixen or was that somebody else?

MPM did the xtrakit one, but there one and the same aren't they? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I hope they remember to double-print the white for the registration letters, 'cause that's the only way to make white decals work over a deep red background.

Putting my nerd hat on. 'although the exact military identity of 'SF is unknown it is a pre production machine and the 24v plug in for the starter acc was in a different place 

Trevor

Same kit yes, MPM marketed the FAW.1 variant, Xtrakit the Mk.2.  I hope it isn't that kit reissued as it has shape issues.

So many of the 72nd Vixens (particularly Cyberhobby/ Dragon) have shape issues and I really hope this is the opportunity to get this right now.

7 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Well a new FH-1 Phantom is well worth a bit of a wait! The MPM kit from 1990s is a bit rough around the edges, and difficult to find too.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002396-172-mcdonnell-fh-1-phantom-by-special-hobby-box-artparts-release-in-2017/

V.P.

My favorite in that listing is the humble SN72007    Kriegsfischkutter in 1/72, basically a modified fishing vessel used by the German Navy as a patrol and support vessel.

Great diorama potential, picking up downed airmen at sea, mine sweeping, defending convoys  and alongside in harbors.

Some went to other navies at the end of the war, Norway received nine, France and the Soviet Union more than that.

MVH

Knut Erik

• Like 1

On 31/01/2017 at 10:03 AM, Britman said:

Nothing wrong with the Heller Viggen, Draken and Starfighter for me. They all had two seat options in the box and recce noses. 

Well, nothing wrong with them, except the Draken is now pretty rare (and dear) in the old continent, the moulds are apparently still being used in Argentina, albeit with inferior clear parts. The Hasegawa (and Revell rebox) tend to go for the same kind of silly prices as the original Heller nowadays.

The F-104 is pretty rough compared to Hasegawa and Revell, who both did two-seaters too (who are now also rather thin on the ground). The (raised) panel lines are not as delicate as some other Heller kits. Also, there is no such thing as a Starfighter recce nose.

Concerning the Viggen, I don't have this kit, but, as you say, it also offers the two-seater and the reco version, which is nice. Also, I think it is regarded as the best Viggen in 1/72.

Mind you, there's also a Matchbox two-seater Viggen. :wink:

Edited by ivand

On 31/01/2017 at 10:39 PM, T7 Models said:

Ta.

MPM and Special Hobby are now separate entities.

On 01/02/2017 at 1:50 PM, SPAD64 said:

No

they have decided to rename the brand.

I spoke to people from SH on a fair in Belgium last year. They were discounting kits from the "MPM period" and stated they had separated.

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 6:06 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

A Tiffie and a Whirlwind in 1/32nd - now that is rather nice!

Jonners

Hi

I am gonna be broke :) 

cheers

jerry

Looking forward to the Baltimore,......brilliant,........hopefully they will get it right with better cowlings and of course a fuselage of the correct shape, deeper and with a taper towards the top,......... really excited about this one!

The Northrop and others are great too,......and the Tempest Mk.6 is another real highlight!

Keep it up SH,

Cheers

Tony

On 3-2-2017 at 2:58 PM, Britman said:

Ivand ,that was a generalised statement about recce noses .

I know. I'm a pedant. :bangin:

On 3-2-2017 at 2:58 PM, Britman said:

My point was really to just suggest that these were / are good versatile kits. 

Yes, but a lot of people wouldn't mind seeing a newer, more detailed and more readily available alternative. Not to mention the quality of the Heller decals of old... They even managed to get the roundels misaligned in the instructions! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2017 at 16:32, fatalbert said:

I wonder how much the sunderland v will be?.

No matter how much it is, it'll be "overpriced" for some. :lol: Those same folks that would prefer it to be -£10 and come with a free backrub, and would still complain the rub wasn't good enough.  :dull:

I'm really looking forward to the Viggen (2-seats of pure ugly), the Typhoon and Whirlwind from that list.  If they're as good as the Tempest, they'll be great :)

• Like 1