• 3 weeks later...

Hi There Fellow COD heads :thumbsup:

Bench time has been rather limited recently and I've spent most of what I got learning how to make deck grilles for my Pershing in KUTA IX. Things will be back to what passes for normal at Sleeper Central very soon.

@wimbledon99 I also eagerly await the prop fitting ceremony I can see coffee and cake in attendance as well.

@SoftScience  I start to see what you mean. Got the cockpit layout straight in my head then looked at the resin and plastic and decided to start with the wheel-wells instead.

@Caerbannog Once I'd worked out where the problem was it was straight-forward to find a solution. The hardest part is taking a saw to a vital part of a 50GBP kit..... 

• Like 2

Greetings Red Overcast Fans

Finally progress after much head-scratching and removing splinters from my fingers :penguin:

tumblr_omr15xA5YE1t8blhlo1_540.jpg

After much muttering and confusion I finally found a good shot of the wheel well which shows what I needed to do. So the rear panels were removed the roof trimmed and replacement wall fitted approx 3mm further forward. This left the wheel a snug fit and a better match for the photos I found. Wheel-well was then glued into place and then the gap at the rear filled. Then the wheel wouldn't go in without twisting which, I am fairly certain wasn't part of the real deal. The forward edge of the opening is flattened off rather than curved...

...several cups of coffee later and watching Interstellar on DVD (cracking film BTW) I used my Olfa cutter to rebate the wing surface 0.5mm cut a new opening in card and fit it.

tumblr_omr1nrDTXS1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

I think that looks much better. Just got to do the other one now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to keep everybody awake.:dinosaur:

I've been getting the other wheel-bay done which has been pretty straight-forward.

I've just ripped out the former radar operators cockpit as I was far from happy with it. A long hard look at the walkround shots made me realise that the resin tub is far too small, the seat arrangement is very simplified and the whole rear end just looked wrong. I'm taking a break from generating plastic scrapings as I thin the fairings and cockpit sides down to give me room to work with. 

Tomorrow I shall take some plastic card and start a scratch build rear area.

@SoftScience You are absolutely correct. Looks like several sub-builds, then assembly, then paint.... Good thing I have a week off coming up!

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2017 at 4:38 AM, SoftScience said:

Its not a modeling project, so much as a modeling expedition! :)

Do you have some sort of cutting compass to cut round shapes in sheet styrene, or do you use a circle template?

It's certainly an expedition!

I use a circle template most of the time with a simple sharp scriber to score the card. I then cut away along the scribed line. A quick wipe with sanding paper and a brush of liquid poly to smooth everything off.

I must admit this got shoved into the back-ground when I realised I'd messed up the replacement rear cockpit. I've got a third attempt underway and will post proof tomorrow. Apologies for the delay in replying but my computer has been a PITA recently..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to confess. I'm Nick and I have a problem.

This has very nearly ended up having a short violent affair with a hammer. I'm now on rear cockpit number 4. Despite my best efforts number 3 didn't  make the distance, that is the amount needed to avoid the edges being seen through the canopy.

However as I type the glue is hardening on the main structure parts. I assembled with PVA checked the fit and size, added a bit more floor, repeated, saw it was good, added liquid poly with plenty of support. I'll see how it's gone after work.

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2017 at 2:48 PM, Col. said:

Keep at it Nick. There's a Gannet COD.4 in there somewhere.

I'm sure there is!

I've not been able to get much done recently so am adding this to the stalled GB pile at the moment. Sorry but as soon as I've got straight I'll carry on the thread to completion.

I've made no secret of my mental health issues and if anybody else finds themselves overwhelmed I'm always ready to lend an ear. After falling apart 9 years ago I've finally got to the last step before normality in clearing all the stuff I accumulated. That's taken nearly all my free time for nearly two months to sort through and start selling. However we start a new shift system on Sunday two-two-three on/off so things will be a lot easier and I'll have more time to do what I want i.e. get some plastic assembled.

As AFVs have been my thing for much longer than aircraft (I blame you lot) I'll start with a couple of those before getting back to this.

Have a Great Friday.     

• Like 2