Tamiya Ducati Panigale 1199 (Finished)

D1fuN0

Moaning chaps and chapesses :bye:

I thought it time that this was resurrected....

This is where I left off the last time.... 

(I hide my head in shame when I see that the photo tag is from the 24th January 2016, so this has been basically taking a year long sojourn...)

IMG-20160124-WA0013.jpg

Ok, quick update.

I'm using the Hobby Design etch set as well as the Tamiya Forks set on this build.

The Hobby Design set really is excellent, basically covering a range of upgrades for the wheels, brakes, chain, fasteners, exhausts etc.

I made a boob of note with the chain, which saw me snapping one half of the chain.... So what I've done is used the kit chain for now, not glued in place, until the replacement arrives.

So, one of the biggest constructions in the PE set is the brake discs... 27 pieces in total. They really are a work of art how it all fits together, but hell of a finicky...

(Make sure you get the holes on the centre section lined up properly... They only fit one way and I ended up having to drill new ones so that the rivets will fit.)

IMG_20170125_164359.jpg

Ok whizzing forward.

swingarm made up and fitted, forks made up and fitted. Make sure that you dont paint the pins on the replacement forks because the fit is so precise on the metal forks that it might cause an issue getting it on properly if they are painted.

The anodised blue nuts on top of the forks really are excellent and are just the perfect thing to finish the forks off.

IMG_20170125_090438.jpg

More whizzing forward...

Wheels and brakes made up. Be VERY careful when you fit the discs to the front wheel so that the whole thing doesn't come apart, (Yeeees, it did :))

I'm not using the red pin-striping on the wheels, Just Semi Gloss Black and Clear with the wheel decal.

IMG_20170129_090537.jpg

The Stand has been painted Italian red.

At this point you are going to be doing a lot of handling of the bike, and looking back now, rather leave off the Brake and Gear Lever assemblies until you get to fitting the fairing. I really got tired of re-gluing them....

and finally whizzing forward to last night...

The rear frame assembly added and the two side panels that fit over the front of the engine.

The rear light unit is an absolute work of art, and the way that the whole rear section fits together is actually quite amazing...

IMG_20170129_203634.jpg

Your eyes are not deceiving you, that is Yellow on the rear section, Tamiya Chrome Yellow to be precise.

Everyone does them Red or Black, or the odd Senna one pops up, and I want to be different, soooo, Yellow rear and front fairing, silver tank and bottom of the fairing matt black.

I've seen pictures on 't internet of this configuration, and they apparently are called RS13 Race Replica's... So Bright yellow RS 13 Race Replica here we come...

Hope to have this finished by the weekend...

Thanks for watching and all comments, as always, greatly appreciated...

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Like 2

Great to see you have finally got back to this Steve. Re the PE brakes are the outer drilled discs part of the upgrade set or do you re-use the kit parts? Also good to see someone else being brave with the colour choice. I will have to have a search for the RS13 RR.

Mark

Still awaiting drill bits before I can recommence my fits & starts 1199 build.

Hiya Mark :bye:

They are Photo Etch discs...

I just hadn't gotten to cleaning them up when the photo was taken :)

I wish the PE upgrade set manufacturers would just give us one piece discs instead of 2 piece sets. Its quite entertaining glueing 2 part drilled discs together :)

1 hour ago, mbdesignart said:

Perhaps the discs are vented on the RR :o

Nope, just 2 parts to the disc. I think they did it because the outer and inner faces have different attachments where the floating pins are, so might be easier at manufacturing to do 2 diff sides... just a POA really to glue together.

BTW, I think the RS13 Race Replica thing is just what someone called it themselves cos i cant find squat. Plenty on the RS13 race bike, but I think they just painted their Panigale and called it that :)

Moaning Chaps :bye:

Righto ho then... back from my 3 days away for work

I managed to get some work in yesterday around looking after a sick wife and all the other Saturday Husbandy duties.

I had started to get some paint onto the necessary bits of the Fairing and Tank.

Tank is not going to be that same colour as the rest of the bike...

IMG_20170204_175242.jpg

Tank is painted TS30 Silver Leaf and Clear.

At this point I had one of those umming and ahhing moments, not exactly sure if id done the right thing...

So i just checked it out quickly with the fairing side on...

IMG_20170204_181603.jpg

Im happy :)

The rear cowling has now been glued on, as well as the lights and other bits at the front.

Next up is masking off the bottom of the fairing for the Matt Black and then I can basically put it all together... :)

Laaaaater