Leopard 1 Koninklijke Landmacht ### Finished 27-4-2017 ###

Hi guys,

I will try to build the Revell 1/35 Leopard 1 from Revell. It will be in the Koninklijke Landmacht (Dutch Army) livery.

The only extra's I will use are some metal tracks (Friul Modelismo) and a metal gun barrel (RB Model). The gun barrel is originally for the TI 67 Tiran, so I think I may need to modify it a bit.

Pictures will follow later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Lovely choice Arnold. I am of course biased due to the Leopard being one of my favourite AFVs but none the less a worthy subject and nice to see the first WIP thread for this GB being a non-aircraft subject.

• Like 1

Here are two pictures of the box content. Can't wait till Saturday. 

the box front. As you can see I used a different box for ease of use. I am not font of the side opening boxes from Revell.

IMG_3703_zpspu1bmipn.jpg

and the content.

IMG_3704_zpspitzdjqf.jpg

As you can see there is also a set of Friul tracks and a metal gun barrel. The tracks are set ATL 158. The set was bought last year when it was just new.

These tracks are always used on a Dutch Leopard 1 (and the other special dutie ones like the PRTL (Dutch Gepard version) etc.

I am also busy at the moment with a Leopard 1V (V = verbeterd (Enhanced)) as well. I hope to finish that one soon as well.

Cheers,

• Like 4

OK, guys, I have started the model with putting the hull together. This is a bit fiddely, because of the canted rides. I didn't get a good fit, but with some extra glue and make it look like a welded seam it is good enough for me.

Here is a picture of that seam. It is a little bit blurry, sorry for that.

IMG_3708_zpswqnywst1.jpg

And here is one of the hull, with the side inserts for the Dutch version. They are a tight fit and can use a swipe of a sanding stick to get a better fit. The seam at the front of this is where there is on the original a welded line.

IMG_3707_zpsq9hot849.jpg

That was done yesterday.

Today I did all the wheel axles. This is quite a tight fit and they line up very good, exept the middle two. These need to be lined up a bit better. But it is just marginal. Here is a picture.

IMG_3709_zpssaer9ptw.jpg

I also made the wheels and sprockets, but forgot to take some pictures.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 4

Finally a update.

I have done some work on kit last Thursday and a few hours today.

Most of the small details on the Hull is now done. Here are some pictures of it.

IMG_3713_zpswpkrzxul.jpg

IMG_3714_zpsmpg8yenj.jpg

IMG_3715_zpscehvesrd.jpg

And a picture of the tow cables. I changed the original ones from rubber, they are now made from some fuse wire that was twisted.

IMG_3710_zpsnzd6gwq8.jpg

I also started to work on the turret. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3716_zpsq05ilabe.jpg

IMG_3717_zpsharr7asp.jpg

As you can see I used the metal barrel from RB models. It is originally for the Ti 67 Tiran.

The only thing I had to do to make it fit was to drill a bigger hole in the shield.

IMG_3718_zpsp7adzudk.jpg

And my model besides my other build at the moment. The same tank, but the enhanced version used by the Dutch in the 80's

The Leopard 1V (V = Verbeterd(enhanced)).

IMG_3719_zpssdac3rs3.jpg

That is it for now

Cheers,

• Like 3

Again a update. I have finished the turret and she is almost ready for some paint. I still want to do some camouflage nets on it. so that will take place this week.

And the tracks still needs to be made. Also hopefully this week.

Here are some pictures.

The turret halfway done.

IMG_3720_zpsuwaabc4j.jpg

IMG_3721_zpsqy43hjqa.jpg

and finished.

IMG_3725_zps18sliv8f.jpg

IMG_3726_zpsljz9hdbb.jpg

The basket on the turret wasn't a tidy fit, so I needed to fill some space between the horizontal bars. That is right where it bends towards the turret.

I did the filling with some Cryano glue and some baking powder to let it dry fast and still be able to sand it. Here are two pictures.

I also replaced the rubber wire between the seach light and the hull with some lead wire.

IMG_3728_zps4xlri80k.jpg

IMG_3729_zpssjv3obwk.jpg

And two pictures of the turret attached to the hull.

IMG_3730_zpsil2xzsvu.jpg

IMG_3731_zpsnw3az04j.jpg

That is now with all the plastic done. Now it's just the Friul tracks to do.

But that will be for the next update.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Looking smashin'.

Nice to see a Leopard 1 in the correct time period and theatre of war. I built one many moons ago as a young teen to accompany a great big diorama. The problem was that even though I painted it in German livery it didn't really belong next to a halftrack and a load of wehrmacht troops. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have finished today the Friul tracks. They cost some time to make, but the detail is far better then the rubber ones from the kit.

Well here are some pictures.

The first patches for around the sprocket wheels(metal ones included in the set as well). These are special given in the friul set. The only downside of this is that you need to get them in the right place on the track and takes more time to make.

IMG_3732_zpsmnhwigps.jpg

And the first straight done.

IMG_3735_zpsm5ev0pvd.jpg

Here the rightside done and fitted on the kit including a detail foto.

IMG_3733_zpsmq5aplf0.jpg

IMG_3734_zpstwkbemvs.jpg

And the left side done.

IMG_3736_zps8i8pozg5.jpg

I have removed them for the painting later.

Cheers,

• Like 4

gosh that is a nice looking tank!!! I think half the time you choose builds to tempt me, I do like the old Leopards!

The tracks are awesome, how may times did you stab you're self with the pins! With the E-100 I've got I managed to stab myself every 10 links of so, painful but they do look amazing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh that is a nice looking tank!!! I think half the time you choose builds to tempt me, I do like the old Leopards!

The tracks are awesome, how may times did you stab you're self with the pins! With the E-100 I've got I managed to stab myself every 10 links of so, painful but they do look amazing!

Hmmm I must be more subtle to tempt you.:P

I only stabbed myself ones. I have got some experience with them.

A E-100. Hmmmmm still got that one as well and also with Friul tracks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This one has stalled a bit at the moment.

I hope to do some work on her (and her sister) this weekend.

I am planning to take them to the Moson show in Hungary in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Finally a update. 

The tracks are placed and I have also started painting. I painted the model with a mix of some tamiya paint. what the mix was ?! I don't know it anymore.

Here are some pictures. 

IMG_3749_zpsjmzxp4ju.jpg

IMG_3750_zpsukaeunct.jpg

IMG_3751_zpswaly69fd.jpg

And a picture of the model together with the V1 version. 

IMG_3752_zps6v4dnmp0.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 1