North American P-51D Mustangs - Red Dog XII and Petie 2nd

I finished these recently for the Mustang STGB III. Red Dog XII was built OOB whilst Petie 2nd received some interior work in the cockpit which included sidewall details and instrument panel using the Airfix 1/72 kit as a guide. I also split the one piece canopy to give the fixed and sliding sections on this aircraft and added some tape belts to both models. I painted Red Dog XII using Vallejo's Metal Color Acrylic Aluminium after a Gloss Black primer coat from the same manufacturer whilst Petie 2nd had Mr Metal Aluminium applied and this was buffed to a shine with kitchen paper towel.

For those who are interested, more details of the build can be found here P-51D Mustang x 2

DSC01643_zpsfjp3wbjp.jpg

DSC01614_zps9basmdp9.jpg

DSC01610_zpsohep7gaa.jpg

DSC01611_zpswbj3wdlx.jpg

DSC01612_zps5j4btkuy.jpg

DSC01606_zpsx4iwx7j3.jpg

DSC01609_zpssfav8qol.jpg

DSC01608_zpsnqjxgyme.jpg

DSC01607_zpsbclfv7in.jpg

DSC01634_zpsodwwy0k4.jpg

DSC01635_zpssk85l2xz.jpg

DSC01638_zps0agoytxa.jpg

DSC01636_zpsy4kmhfu6.jpg

• Like 9

Hi John,

these Mustangs are gorgeous and sure don't look like 1/144 models!!!

Brilliant!

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

1/144 you must be mad!A couple of mini masterpieces:thumbsup:

Totally agree! - excellent work in tiny scale.

Out of interest, why is there an interest now in this particular scale?  Is it for air war gamming, or simply the novelty of building small?

Dave

• Like 1

Gentlemen

Thanks very for the comments, they are much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Out of interest, why is there an interest now in this particular scale?  Is it for air war gamming, or simply the novelty of building small?

Dave,

When I was younger I had an interest in civil aviation and built most of the Airfix 1/144th airliners alongside 1/72nd kits. When I returned to modelling several years ago I was surprised by the choice of 1/144th models available along with many of the kits I had made when I was younger. Therefore you could say nostalgia played a part in my choice of building in 1/144, along with a desire to try keep things in the same scale. 

Then there is the practical requirement of the space needed to house a small collection, in theory I could get twice the number of 1/144th models in the space occupied by the same in 1/72nd scale, a serious consideration when living in a small bungalow as we do. I still build in 1/72nd and have the occasional venture into 1/48 just not as often.

I also like the challenge of trying to create something in a small size and, where it is practical to do so, to add some extra detail. I do not go in for super detailing in this scale but if there is a glaring omission in the kit, then I like to give a suggestion of what should be there. Finally, it is just a lot of fun.

My 1/144 collection

• Like 1