Continue, Rebuild, Bin - What do you think?

I'll start this yarn by offering my excuse for bad modelling, I'm really more of an aero modeller than an armour modeller.  

Over 10 years ago now I had this blinding flash and decided I wanted to build a Tiger (I think it was inspired by watching some movie or another).  

I duly bought the Tamiya 1/35 Tiger (well what else) and started badgering away...  I got the basic body done, decided that it should have Zimmerit(?) which I added, didn't like the tow cables so replaced them, thought that the side skirts needed to look a bit more rugged so added bolts or bolt holes for those that had pulled off and brush painted the Ambush Scheme (as best I could).  I was also wondering if there was a better way of displaying it, so I came up with the box diorama idea.  The idea was to backlight the building to the Tiger is lit by the light through the windows...  As I say all that was 10 years and several house moves ago.  For most of those 10 years it has been sitting in a box in various attics and thats where I just found it...

SO here it is as it currently stands,,,

IMG_1655_zpsayavwyyl.jpg

IMG_1652_zpseec8q8md.jpg

IMG_1656_zpsmtztjbgr.jpg

So what do you think?  

• Tidy it up and Finish it...
  • Complete rebuild, complete repaint and a different scenic base...
  • Put the whole lot in the Bin and forget about it...

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

all in all it doesnt look bad there are some things here and there that surely must be fixed:

what happened to the radio man and loader hatches? 

you also have to do something for those holes on the sides of the turret, they were the supports for spare tracks, you either fill them with putty or put there the tracks. 

it is also lacking its decorations, like wermacht crosses and tank numbers. 

do you have all these spare parts or they got lost? 

By the way it doesn't look bad to me. the question is, do you think your modeling abilities have improved? if this is not up to your current standards anymore you can use it to build a wreck diorama, i'm doing the same with a japanese zero fighter and i'm definitely more happy with it's current wrecked display than if i had kept it in its previous state, not to mention that is extremely fun to tear down the model and make up all the required damages. 

Edited by cambridge

Hi @Cambridge thanks for your comments. Yes I have the parts boxed away, so I have all the hatches, track link supports etc.  As for the decoration - well its not at that stage yet but yes I have them as well, I will have to decide whether to use the decals or spray my own..

As for are my skills greater now - Its difficult to tell as I haven't done any Armour since this but for comparison here are a couple of recent aircraft I have completed...

March%202016%20128_zps15y89gxz.jpg

March%202016%20116_zps274llirk.jpg

image_zpstz1ecdvk.jpeg

IMG_7978_zpsdz7bddjz.jpg

What do you think?  Is the Ambush scheme to vivid for a Normandy Tiger?  You in the finish it out camp?

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

well spit hurry and ( is that a firefly? ) they definitely look good i would be very satisfied after building something like that.

for the tiger i don't think it looks too vivid, i think maybe you can eventually apply a oil filter to blend them togheter better, and if you also apply a wash it will definitely tone it down if you think it's necessary. i think the camo look good, but is not at the level of the camos on the planes, but that's maybe just the effect caused by the zimmerit. 

so in the end i think is up to you, to me i see the potential for a good final result if you keep on going on that road ( literally :D ), but the fact that you're asking is maybe because after all you're not convinced by it and therefore you can take the opportunity to try something different if you have something in mind.  

Edited by cambridge

Hi Beema,

Nice planes!

To the question....The backdrop looks fine to me, but you could definitely better it with your age-improved skills if you think it's necessary. (A simple backdrop doesn't detract from the model in front of it, whilst a mega-detailed super-realistic one does)

And I'm sure you could improve the Tiger as well.

Personally, I'd go for improving the 'backdrop' first. Get it mega-detailed and super-realistic. Because then you'll have something to plonk behind ANY AFV, if only for photographic purposes.

Then I'd go for the Tiger. It's always harder to repaint a model than start from scratch, however, if you spay the whole thing with chipping fluid, give it a coat of WHITE and then 'chip away' you may find yourself with an excellent battle-worn Winter Tiger. The bonus being that you won't have to re-do the brown-green camo scheme. What does show through after chipping will be limited but will look very realistic.

Rearguards,

Badder

• 1 month later...

Is continue, rebuild, bin the modelling equivalent of playing snog, marry, avoid? Snog= rebuild! take the good bits and move on. Avoid = bin and marry is continue ? 

Me? I'd continue, I think none of my models look his good 5 years later

It's all about learning. I make something, then learn and then realise I could have done what I have better, so move on to the next thing, always trying to learn and make things better, and take more time over what I have. I don't do this kind of modelling, but there's enough information on the internet to see how to do things. Make another model, go slow, get everything right and see what you end up with.