CV90-40B IFV

Etienne

Hello gents,

for my next build, I'll set aside british armour and go to northern Europe for a scandinavian IFV B) ... so I decided to begin with the Academy swedish CV90-40B.

When I opened the Academy kit's box, my first impression was very good, nice and detailed parts and I can tell you that this impression was confirmed throughout the assembling phase ... this kit is easy to assemble, no flash, few mould lines, very nice plastic's quality, easy to sand althought a little bit brittle.

In addition, the kit seems quite accurate for an early swedish CV90-40B ... I just had to correct the snow shovels lower rack that's incorrect.

If I had only one negative comment, it's that there's only one snow shovel when there's consistently two on photos :mellow: ... I'll have to find a solution : scratchbuilding, aftermarket or a raid on another CV90 of my stash :P

So, enough words, let's go to the bench !!

img_0339.jpg
img_0338.jpg
img_0336.jpg
img_0337.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice start Etienne. Are you going to finish it in one of the zigzag camouflage schemes? (Sorry, I can't think of the correct name for it).

John.

I was thinking the very same.  And that is pretty swift progress.

On y va, bring it on :)

Rob

• Like 1

Yes, I'll try the splinter camo scheme ... that's one of the reason why I keep the build as simple as possible, OOTB !!

Anyway, the build was fast and easy, I began last week end ... the kit is very very nice, no real need for fancy aftermarket parts to have a nice and accurate CV90 but I am pretty sure I'll try another one soon, with add-ons and I already have the CV90-40C from Hobby Boss in stock.

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

An unusual vehicle, curious to see the splinter camo as you do, must be complicated ...:popcorn:, cheers E.

I think it's a question of patience, as the pattern is very geometric, meticulous masking should do the trick ^_^ 

For now, I have to find the right colors ...

Anyhow, will see ! E

Edited by Etienne

Hello gents,

this week end, I primed and base coated the CV90 ... I don't know if it's because I'm sick or because of the very wet weather here, but I must admit I had a hard time doing a correct job ...

It was as if the paints had no intention to dry :huh: ... anyway, the result is not so bad, but I think I'll wait for better times before beginning the splinter camo.

I also assembled the tracks, those are AFV Club workable Bigfoot tracks ... super easy to assemble, but some flash on many links and too much of them were just unusable so I had just 2 spares, the QC seems to be a problem here.

img_0341.jpg

img_0340.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 6

Looks good so far, I enjoyed this kit (even the masking...) but the indy-link tracks in the box were a pain! Looks like the AFV club option is a good idea.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents,

didn't post last week end, not much progress and very little motivation ... I guess I was a little bit afraid of the splinter camo :mellow:

Yesterday,  I gathered a bit of courage and took the leap ... masking such a complicate form with strictly geometrical motifs is time consuming but rewarding, even if I was anxious of the final result ...

img_0311.jpg

For the time being, I just finished the turret, some small but not so visible flaws ... 

img_0310.jpg
img_0312.jpg

Today, I worked on the hull ... 6 hours to mask and paint the light green, the I turned off the light and the compressor, enough for tomorrow !!

Cheers E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Turret looks good can't wait to see the hull in colour!

Roger

No need to wait more, Roger ... here is the result after applying the grey-black areas and unmasking, one meticulous job to avoid ripping the paint !

I had some bad spots where the primer betrayed me but they are not so obvious and will represent the wear and tear of a field used IFV ^_^

Anyhow, I am quite pleased with the result ... nearly 10 hours of masking, spraying and unmasking ... next model will probably be plain color :D

img_0313.jpg
img_0315.jpg
img_0314.jpg
img_0316.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 7