Valiant prototype from Airfix Valiant

BritJet

I had to take a break from this as the Alclad kept attacking itself and the black base coat despite following the instructions to the letter and leaving everything to dry for 3-4 days before re-spraying. It's taken quite a while to get to this stage but I'm pleased with it now as there are some very subtle panel shade variations and good reflections without it looking like a mirror.

resized_e2157fb4-398d-43a8-ba34-cf85d599

resized_224377e9-2c16-4306-ac5f-c9650346

Next step will be the decals and luckily there's not many of them so this might be finished by tomorrow.

Steve

• Like 14

Steve,

A masterful job and a great conversion! You should be very proud!

One suggestion that I would encourage you to consider, with your level of modeling and the need for detailed resin castings, is setting up a relatively low-cost pressure casting system. With that, and a resin with suitable working time, you should be able to create even more masterpieces in future. Some ideas for these rigs are to be found in the Casting forum on Britmodeler.

Best of luck, and good job!

Ed

Cheers Ed

I've done lots of resin casting including commercially and I agree pressure casting does give better results. Most of the time if the design of the mould is right then air doesn't get trapped or is easily removed before the dreaded bubbles take over! These days I don't have the time or inclination to produce large runs of resin but small batches aren't a problem. 

All the best

Steve

• 8 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 7:17 PM, bzn20 said:

It really is a Valiant then.

hahah.  verry true.  evidently hapens on kits as well then!

• 4 years later...

Hi I am not sure why but for some reason the imagines won't load for me they are just blank 😭 could it be that I am on a mobile thats causing issues? This is exactly what I am looking for for a prototype valiant but unfortunately I cannot see anything. I presume this is a 1:72 airfix valiant that was used? I currently have two valiants a  1:72 Airfix one and a 1:72 historic wings b2 pathfinder and I would love to build the first prototype valiant b1 and then when I work up the courage the b2 pathfinder kit.

Thanks Ryan 

3 hours ago, Ryan Lumb said:

Hi I am not sure why but for some reason the imagines won't load for me they are just blank 😭 could it be that I am on a mobile thats causing issues? This is exactly what I am looking for for a prototype valiant but unfortunately I cannot see anything. I presume this is a 1:72 airfix valiant that was used? I currently have two valiants a  1:72 Airfix one and a 1:72 historic wings b2 pathfinder and I would love to build the first prototype valiant b1 and then when I work up the courage the b2 pathfinder kit.

Thanks Ryan 

It's possible that the images are no longer available on the hosting site, which is why they are not showing. Or as mentioned in another thread where you have posted the same question, they are hosted on an in-secure website so will not display on a site that uses HTTPS. Either way, nothing to do with using a mobile browser to view.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

It's possible that the images are no longer available on the hosting site, which is why they are not showing. Or as mentioned in another thread where you have posted the same question, they are hosted on an in-secure website so will not display on a site that uses HTTPS. Either way, nothing to do with using a mobile browser to view.

I got the images to work I had to click the broke image window then they opened in a new window. I am not very tech smart but hopefully soon I will figure it all out. First I have to find a way to upload my profile picture thats to big in file size 🤦‍♂️

On 29/10/2017 at 13:01, BritJet said:

Thanks guys.

Well it's finished!

resized_8bc5bdf2-a284-4806-8ce0-3914df8f

More photos is Ready For Inspection - Link to RFI

Steve

Absolutely beautiful. I am very impressed by the whole process even the resin you made as well looks spot on. I want to make this prototype valiant myself so I am looking for another aircraft with the same or similar intakes but I cannot find any. Do you keep the moulds once the build is finished? If I can make a kit look as good what you have I will be certainly pleased.

7 hours ago, BritJet said:

Cheers, I do still have the moulds so could do you a set of the parts if it helps.

Steve

Hi Steve

That would be brilliant thank you. I have always preferred the prototype valiant just because of how slender the intakes look and being in that silver/ natural metal look makes it look even better. 

Thanks Ryan