I'm trying to decide if I'll have a go at the diferant panel shades, I've had a look at the T.O. and the wings uses four diferant types of Aluminium, the tailplanes and fin five and the fuselage four, I have the drawings so I know which is which I just need to bight the bullet.

Scan-008_zpsmkxllxap.png  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

This is a spectacular reference John.

@Cookenbacher Thanks Cookie, I'm blessed with having what I think will be the biggest/best B.57 T.O. library on my side of the pond. It's sad, but I spend a lot, or if you're my better half, far too much time looking over them.

John  

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 4

I don't know how well it shows on the photo but I've had a stab at the diferant shades of Aluminium, not something I've done for a very long time. Over the Nisan Silver I've used two Revell Aqua Colour's Silver and Aluminium, and three Humbrol 27002, 191 and good old 11. All done by my favorite Tamiya flat brush.

IMG_1877_zpswkhb7x4l.jpg

John 

• Like 5

Hello,John - The panel variation has worked well.Visible but subtle. The markings will really make this a resplendent looking model.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The variation turned out wonderful John, I've noticed it in many reference pictures as well.

Thanks Cookie

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Real purty, Sir!

Thanks Pete

13 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - The panel variation has worked well.Visible but subtle. The markings will really make this a resplendent looking model.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul

John

• Like 1

Hi John. I'm finding pictures of PR9s early on that are finished in silver. Are they natural metal finish or are they painted up in " High speed Silver"? Some pics look as if there is panel variation like nmf, and others look quite like a paint job, and talk of " after a respray at akrotiri" etc 

You know me, always looking for an opportunity to get the foil out!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi John. I'm finding pictures of PR9s early on that are finished in silver. Are they natural metal finish or are they painted up in " High speed Silver"? Some pics look as if there is panel variation like nmf, and others look quite like a paint job, and talk of " after a respray at akrotiri" etc 

You know me, always looking for an opportunity to get the foil out!

Sorry Rob you'll have to put the foil away, all british built Canberra's were HSS, if there is an apparent variation it will be due to respraying or weathering.

John 

• Like 1

The undercarriage components set out. I decided to go with FROG main legs with the retraction jacks from the Italeri leg, the Matchbox main gear doors, the Airfix "D" doors and Italeri auxiliary engine intake doors, these are the two small doors on the outside of the main gear doors. After a bit of trimming the FROG legs fitted really nicely, so all was well! The nose wheel is all Italeri as are the doors!

IMG_1880_zps4eberyyr.jpg

It all want so well that...........................

She's flying off to RFI!! 

fly_zpshogu1amw.jpg

Thank for following and your kind comments chaps,

John 

Edited by canberra kid
missing word
  • Like 11

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Ooooh, I like that, never seen a RB.57E on short finals before, that could well nigh pass as the real deal. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Thanks Steve it's was taken just before the Pilot (me) nearly lost it, I won't be doing it with any of my 1/48 scale Camberra's :)

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Brilliant result! 

What was that about frogs legs? You doing haute cuisine cookery at the same time as your modelling? Well, that's just showing off....

Thanks Rob, I'd don't mind using frog legs as long as I don't need to add garlic! :)

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning result Like that a lot!

Roger

Thanks Roger, I may have another go at a strait B.57B the new release of the Italeri kit as some nice options.

John

• Like 1

On 2017-5-14 at 6:33 PM, canberra kid said:

The undercarriage components set out. I decided to go with FROG main legs with the retraction jacks from the Italeri leg, the Matchbox main gear doors, the Airfix "D" doors and Italeri auxiliary engine intake doors, these are the two small doors on the outside of the main gear doors. After a bit of trimming the FROG legs fitted really nicely, so all was well! The nose wheel is all Italeri as are the doors!

IMG_1880_zps4eberyyr.jpg

It all want so well that...........................

She's flying off to RFI!! 

fly_zpshogu1amw.jpg

Thank for following and your kind comments chaps,

John 

I hope the pilot has noticed his airspeed when trying to land with flaps zero...!

Seriously though, excellent result, and a really useful build thread. Thanks for insightful posting!

Will

• Like 1

Notice with a little surprise, the little pylon and aerial wire to the tail, just like the PR9.

There's absolutely no point in asking, should it be there?

The right question is - Why haven't I got one? I need one of those, don't I?

Thinking about it, . most of the photo ref seems to feature the port side. But there was no mention in the airfix Martin kit of this.

I need to scratch one?

On the upside, I do have a windscreen wiper!

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 4:41 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Impressive use of many kits to build the accurate RB-57 that previously only existed in drawings and your mind, John.

Thanks Cookie, I'm looking forward to seeing your EB.57B.

21 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I hope the pilot has noticed his airspeed when trying to land with flaps zero...!

Seriously though, excellent result, and a really useful build thread. Thanks for insightful posting!

Will

I was lucky lucky Will, I caught it just has he had cleaned up before the gear up for the go around :)

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Notice with a little surprise, the little pylon and aerial wire to the tail, just like the PR9.

There's absolutely no point in asking, should it be there?

The right question is - Why haven't I got one? I need one of those, don't I?

Thinking about it, . most of the photo ref seems to feature the port side. But there was no mention in the airfix Martin kit of this.

I need to scratch one?

On the upside, I do have a windscreen wiper!

Yes Rob you will need a HF wire aerial on the PR.9 unless you do a very early one, I think they didn't have them but I would need to check.

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Sweet little kitbash! Excellent job, John.   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was hoping to achieve something as good as your PR.9 build.

John  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

s Rob you will need a HF wire aerial on the PR.9 unless you do a very early one,

ok, but what I mean is, do I need one on the big EB57 machine? 

IMG_20170309_170611

Sorry Rob I see, no you're ok with her as she is. :)

John

Excellent work John great WIP .

Guy