Even the Phoenix P.5 Cork relied on previous design studies, especially the hull which was designed and built by May Harden & May of Kingston.

It would lead to the EE P.5 Kingston, apart from the 8 of those I think the Wren was the only other pre-war English electric aircraft?

Here we are..

"Phoenix Dynamo Co.Ltd.... amalgamated with Dick Kerr & Co and the Coventry Ordnance Co as the English Electrical Co. The aircraft work is concentrated at the Phoenix Co's s works."

Jane's 1918

I can tell you that they built Short 184s, 12 in 1915, and 30+20 in 1917. Then Brush appear on the scene, subbing for the 184s . Were they part of the ee empire, or a different outfit completely?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Here we are..

"Phoenix Dynamo Co.Ltd.... amalgamated with Dick Kerr & Co and the Coventry Ordnance Co as the English Electrical Co. The aircraft work is concentrated at the Phoenix Co's s works."

Jane's 1918

I can tell you that they built Short 184s, 12 in 1915, and 30+20 in 1917. Then Brush appear on the scene, subbing for the 184s . Were they part of the ee empire, or a different outfit completely?

Rob Brush is a similar but diferant company altogether. To add to what you said above, English Electric was incorporated in 1918 to bring together Dick Kerr &Co. the Phoenix Dynamo Manufacturing Co., Coventry Ordnance Works, Willans & Robinson, The United Electric Car Co. All these companies were exceptional in electrical and mechanical engineering, it was this quality that helped them stand out when they turned there hands to aircraft manufacturing.

Aircraft Sub-Contract work 1913-1919

Coventry Ordnance Works

B.E.2a & b,  13

B.E.8,           370

B.E.8a,         21

R.E.7,           50

B.E.12a,       50

Sopwith 7F.1, 43

The Phoenix Dynamo Manufacturing Co.

Short Type 184, 62

Short Bomber,      6 

Maurice Farman S.7 Longhorn, 30

Felixstowe F.3,       47

Armstrong Whitworth F.K.10,        2

as well as full airframes PDM Co also built many spares for the above types.

Dick Kerr & Co Ltd.

Felixstowe F.3,        40

Fairey N.4 Atalanta,  1

English Electric Co. Aircraft Sub-Contract work 1938-1952.

HP Hampden 1,        1,150

HP Halifax ii              1,160

HP Halifax iii,vi,vii      1,610

De Havilland Vampire F.1  74

De Havilland Vampire F.3  172

De Havilland Vampire F.20 18

De Havilland Vampire FB.5  882

De Havilland Vampire FB.9, 43

These numbers are as close as I can get they may be a wee bit out here and there.

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 4

Right, back on the horse! After saying the filling and rubbing down was done, I've done some more, just a bit here and there, nothing much, I've added some of the extra details that should be ok to add at this stage such as the two under wing fuel vapor vent masts, the repositioned rear fuselage vent mast. The bomb pylons are only temporary as the will need to go over the under wing markings. The AN/ARN-6 blade aerial and the mast for the HF wire aerial. Also the two fuselage airbrake doors. I've also made up two "Lazy Dog" bombs, although I think only one was used at a time? 

IMG_1866_zps0mfs4beg.jpg

IMG_1867_zpsunudshte.jpg

John 

• Like 7

Now all that is done I’ve started to think about the wheels, Although Italeri did a reasonable job of the hub detail if some what simpyfied the wheel its self is too small and the wrong profile, so it’s back to the spare box! The only options are ether Airfix, FROG or Matchbox, I’ve decided to go with the Matchbox, the hub isn’t really much like the real thing but seeing as nothing is I have no choice, at least it’s the right size and profile. One more manufacturer to add to the parts count. 

IMG_1868_zps3xpuzpkq.jpg

John

• Like 4

Could you drop the Italeri hub into one of the other tyres? The Italeri hub does at least make a fairly good job of the 'alloy wheel' pattern of the main wheels- very different to a  Canberra. I also wonder whether High Planes models did B-57 specific wheels for their kits- perhaps they would be willing to sell them seperately? At least the Airfix nosehweels are pretty much OK.

Will

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Could you drop the Italeri hub into one of the other tyres? The Italeri hub does at least make a fairly good job of the 'alloy wheel' pattern of the main wheels- very different to a  Canberra. I also wonder whether High Planes models did B-57 specific wheels for their kits- perhaps they would be willing to sell them seperately? At least the Airfix nosehweels are pretty much OK.

Will

Hi Will

There is one way to find out, stay tuned! AS for the High Planes Kit, I've not built the B.57A but I have the RB.57D and I've just had a look at the wheels, the hub is the same as the Italeri kit but it looks like they may have corrected the size issue, but it's hard to tell for sure as it has a lot of flash around it.

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looking pretty sweet, John! I forget - did you tell us what scheme she'll be in?

Cheers,

Bill

Yes Bill I did say, but because it's you I'll tell you again, :) She's going to be a very early Able Mabel RB.57E in silver,

IMG_1870_zps27rxovdj.jpg

John  

Edited by canberra kid
missing word
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Will

Look what you've gone and done @Killingholme:) Italeri hub's, FROG tyre's, it didn't take too long either.

IMG_1871_zpsxjivwnik.jpg

John

• Like 10

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Look what you've gone and done @Killingholme:) Italeri hub's, FROG tyre's, it didn't take too long either.

John

Baldrick: Permission to write home immediately sir, this is the first brilliant plan a Baldrick's ever had! For centuries we've tried, and they've always turned out to be total pig-swill. My mother will be as pleased as Punch.

Blackadder: Hm-hm, if only she were as good-looking as Punch...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Soooo... silver, you say.

How'reya gonna do that, then?😀

Like the whitewall tyre look, very American 1960s!

I'll be using, what I always do Halfords, in this case Nisan Silver, I my do some panel shading, not sure yet. 

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Baldrick: Permission to write home immediately sir, this is the first brilliant plan a Baldrick's ever had! For centuries we've tried, and they've always turned out to be total pig-swill. My mother will be as pleased as Punch.

Blackadder: Hm-hm, if only she were as good-looking as Punch...

Permission definitely granted, Such a cunning plan!

John

So, the Nisan silver is on, the nose has been painted, when I was painting the canopy something struck me the canopy is wrong too! It's too tall, but it's a mile better than the Airfix transparent skinny Banana!

IMG_1872_zpszbhqolga.jpg

IMG_1874_zpsmrosww7l.jpg

John  

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

So, the Nisan silver is of, the nose has been painted, when I was painting the canopy something struck me the canopy is wrong too! It's too tall, but it's a mile better than the Airfix transparent skinny Banana!

John  

Which canopy are you using?

Moggy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I'm sticking with the Italeri one Moggy, I do have an Aeroclub(?) vac form one, but I've not checked that one out as yet. 

John

I have a Falcon canopy still on its sheet - so I've never tested it. It's made to replace the Italeri kit canopy. Falcon usually does excellent correction canopies.

Moggy

18 minutes ago, Moggy said:

I have a Falcon canopy still on its sheet - so I've never tested it. It's made to replace the Italeri kit canopy. Falcon usually does excellent correction canopies.

Moggy

Thanks @Moggy, I didn't know they did one, that could be worth a look. I've been looking at the kit canopy and I think one of the problems is it's not "blown" enough this could be corrected to some extent by the vac-form.

John   

Edited by canberra kid

Hello,John - I won't add to the technical debate.I'll just say you've made superb progress with this build and she's really looking the business now.Great work.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - I won't add to the technical debate.I'll just say you've made superb progress with this build and she's really looking the business now.Great work.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

@mcdonnell Thanks Paul!

18 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Same with me, I just want to say that the silver is looking very fine John.

@Cookenbacher Thanks Cookie, it's not as adventurous as your silver finishes, I may try to add some shads of if I feel brave.

John  

• Like 2

Hi John,

Sorry my friend it has been a while but I have had a look through your WIP and blimey you certainly made some progress ! You are indeed the master when it comes to anything Canberra !

Great work you have done in correcting your RB-57 it really does look good :clap2:.

Just a thought concerning the canopy do Squadron do a replacement ? 

Well done that man :thumbsup:

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F4u said:

Hi John,

Sorry my friend it has been a while but I have had a look through your WIP and blimey you certainly made some progress ! You are indeed the master when it comes to anything Canberra !

Great work you have done in correcting your RB-57 it really does look good :clap2:.

Just a thought concerning the canopy do Squadron do a replacement ? 

Well done that man :thumbsup:

Guy

Thanks very much Guy, I think Squadron do a canopy, I've not seen it though, I will see if I can track one down and take a look.

John 

Well, the sun was shining so I thought I'd do a wee bit of alfresco modeling. I've added the window for the photo flash detector, the small circular window aft of the bomb bay, I've also done the photo flash dispenser which had a glassfiber cover.

IMG_1875_zpsiidccanx.jpg 

• Like 6