4 hours ago, F4u said:

Those wings are looking great John , she certainly has a large chord the UK Canberra's that I saw displaying at shows were quite agile always remember a display at Duxford of the Coventry based jet which was great keeping the aircraft within the airfield boundary and zoom climbing with a nice wing over could have rolled quite easily .

Guy

Thanks Guy, they are shaping up quite well now. The PR.9 was(is) a very spritely performer, the big wing and an overabundance of power, it can't fail to impress! and don't forget when you saw her she was limited to +3 and -1 G, so just imagine what she could do in her hay day! 

John  

I've opened up the windows, all went ok except the one for the IR line scanner, the plastic must have been very thin in this area as you can see in the red box, also the seam has split!

IMG_1827_zpsmd1bzsr0.jpg

luckily for me there is a frame to go around this window, but I still need to fix the split, but it could have been much worse!

IMG_1828_zpszepehda0.jpg

John  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wing and sensor holes coming along very smartly John. Aside from the IR scanner, what gear was looking out of the other three openings?

Tony

Good question Tony, but not an easy one to answer, General Dynamics Fort Worth produced a number of  pre-configured reconnaissance "bomb door's" with slightly diferant sensor fit, these were changed and upgraded as new kit became available. The configuration I've gone for is front to back; KA-1 vertical camera, KA-82A panoramic camera, KA-1 oblique camera, RS-10 scanner. In the nose 36" KA-1 oblique camera.

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1

The last of the major airframe mods to make the B into an E, so it was out with the Milliput! The first is the modified tail cone which was a leftover from the E's days as a Target Tug,(Tow Target)  I'm not really sure why this mod was done but it was, so it has to be done. The next was another left over from the T.T. days and this was a much extended tail bumper, the purpose for this is known, it was to clear the two target banner tubes mounted on the lower rear fuselage.

IMG_1829_zpsu0wnj8zj.jpg

IMG_1830_zps3i7pz9cx.jpg

It's a shame all that lovely detail in the airbrake bay is fictitious as it looks really nice 

John 

• Like 6

The old and now sadly long gone C-Scale white metal Patrica Lynn nose is by far the most accurate rendition of this distinctive feature, As good as it is the one I have is unfortunately not circular in profile, I lined it up on the top side and built up the lower side with Milliput to make good. This will need more fine tuning but it will help a lot with making things right. I will also drill out the front camera window.

IMG_1833_zpsrjdeeq42.jpg

John 

• Like 3

I've been watching through my fingers, as I've begun planning a B-57 build for a family friend who served as a Canberra crew chief in the USAF. I know nothing of Canberras, and was in for quite a shock reading this thread, and your info in the SIG, John. Ignorance is bliss, but there's no going back now.

Fantastic detail and scratch work so far, and very informative as well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've been watching through my fingers, as I've begun planning a B-57 build for a family friend who served as a Canberra crew chief in the USAF. I know nothing of Canberras, and was in for quite a shock reading this thread, and your info in the SIG, John. Ignorance is bliss, but there's no going back now.

Fantastic detail and scratch work so far, and very informative as well. 

Thanks Cookie, I'm glad you are finding it useful, if a little scary :) as I said early on, the Italeri kit out of the box looks a lot like a B.57, the thought behind this build was just to get one as accurate B.57 as I could in 1/72. I have and will no doubt build many more Italeri kits out of the box with no modifications at all. What we need is a new accurate kit. Which B.57 model did your friend work on? 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Stately handsome progress John, and as Cookie says - a veritable lesson. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Tony! 

John

• Like 1

One thing from the Italeri kit that would be useful for a B/RB.57E build is the rear instrument panel, which although not an available build option in the kit is that of a B.57E, but before we get too excited at the prospect of being able to use a bit of the Italeri kit, it would appear the Patrica Lynn RB.57E's were retro fitted with the standard B.57B navigators panel! Thankfully, the Czech Master set has this part in the cockpit set.

IMG_1839_zpssv4qqrgg.jpg

The cockpit tub in the kit is ok if a bit simple, the CM replacement is as you would hope, much better with a very good level of detail, one thing they both have in common is the rear cockpit, they both have boxed in side wall's this is not the case on the real aircraft as the fuselage sides form the outer wall of the rear cockpit. The area marked in red need removing, this applies to all B.57's

7342ee49-de93-4c0e-b087-9f02259895f7_zps

After that was done the next small mod and the only thing I know of on the Patty Lynn E's was a small TV monitor in the rear cockpit for the GIB to watch live images from the sensors 

IMG_1840_zpsbbu6iuqm.jpg

John

• Like 6

Phew, the information continues to arrive at pace, thanks John.

My friend served with the 4677th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron, testing the abilities of various ADC Fighter Interceptor Squadrons. Thus, he speaks fondly of the F-106 as well, and so I'm thinking of building my old Hasegawa Delta Dart kit alongside. They mainly flew B-57B's and E's (during web searches they are sometimes referred to as EB-57's, but he never does, but  he confirms that they were mostly packed with electronic equipment rather than bombs). He said that they also flew 'A' models simply because the squadron commander was fond of them. All three models were on hand simultaneously.

I have the Italeri B-57G boxing, figuring it would have the most parts and therefore the most flexibility - the 'B' model probably being the easiest to obtain.

Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together nicely

Never realised there was so much difference between English Electrics finest and its Martin cousin!

Roger

Very much so Roger, apart from a superficial resemblance between the B.57A and the Canberra B.2 they are very diferant animals under and indeed including the skin.

John   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Brace yourself Hamden , I expect there's more to come ....

Oh yes! :)

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phew, the information continues to arrive at pace, thanks John.

My friend served with the 4677th Defense Systems Evaluation Squadron, testing the abilities of various ADC Fighter Interceptor Squadrons. Thus, he speaks fondly of the F-106 as well, and so I'm thinking of building my old Hasegawa Delta Dart kit alongside. They mainly flew B-57B's and E's (during web searches they are sometimes referred to as EB-57's, but he never does, but  he confirms that they were mostly packed with electronic equipment rather than bombs). He said that they also flew 'A' models simply because the squadron commander was fond of them. All three models were on hand simultaneously.

I have the Italeri B-57G boxing, figuring it would have the most parts and therefore the most flexibility - the 'B' model probably being the easiest to obtain.

Sorry for the thread drift.

No problems Cookie, I did ask! The official designation was indeed EB.57A, B or E but it doesn't matter really. With the kit you have an EB.57B would be the easiest option, you won't need to modify the tail cone if you do that and you can use the twin generators for the G too. Do you know which year he was working on the Canberra? This could affect the type of seat fitted.

John   

• Like 1