20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

They look better than my wings - got a second set?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Your PR.9 wings Bill? If this build turns out half as good as your PR.9 I'll be very happy.

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

They look Fantastic John, hard to believe what they started out as!

What do you use to scribe with?

Thanks James, I use the Scale Aircraft Modelling scale ruler and the Tamiya scribing tool which I've had for an age and only changed the blade once and that was because it had gone rusty.

John  

• Like 3

Hello,John - I've seen those wings today and can assure everyone following this build that they look superb.I wish my scribing skills were a fraction as good.

Great work indeed.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Nice work with the wings John very neat, your scribing is better than what I achieve, what do you use to stop the blade from slipping ?

Guy

• Like 1

Mahousive progress on this airframe. What are you going to build with all the leftover parts? There must be the makings of something there!

Have you decided on the finish on this, or did I miss that bit?

Looking forward to seeing this 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You are winging <groan>:huh: this John. Immaculate scribery in evidence upon those surfaces.:thumbsup2:

Tony

Pun accepted Tony and thank you :)

23 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - I've seen those wings today and can assure everyone following this build that they look superb.I wish my scribing skills were a fraction as good.

Great work indeed.

Thanks Paul kind of you to say, now all I need to do is get as good as you at finishing :)

12 hours ago, F4u said:

Nice work with the wings John very neat, your scribing is better than what I achieve, what do you use to stop the blade from slipping ?

Guy

Thanks Guy, I'm lucky other than the Vulcan I guess the Canberra wing must be the easiest, nice and flat, the fuselage is another matter though. I always scribe up against a strait edge I never go free hand and as you can see I tend to mark out the lines first so I have a visual guide to follow.

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Mahousive progress on this airframe. What are you going to build with all the leftover parts? There must be the makings of something there!

Have you decided on the finish on this, or did I miss that bit?

Looking forward to seeing this 

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done with the Italeri fuselage other than put it in the bin! Or I could fit the Airfix nose to it and create the worst B.57 ever!

You did miss the what she's going to be bit I'm building  55-4245 has she was right at the start when she was first deployed.

271%20B-57E%2055-4245%20USAF_zpsi8m4emjo

John  

• Like 6

Cool!

That nose type looked kind of thimble - ish to me when I saw it in the box, but I get it now, and all the details that need adding.

So, does that make her, by definition, a Patricia Lynn aircraft, or am I simplifying the whole thing?

That's an interesting frame on the ground in front of the nose. Something to do with access to the open nose?

I like stuff like that, far better giving us fittings like that instead of a boxfull of bombs and missiles! (Yeah,like Peace,Man...)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Cool!

That nose type looked kind of thimble - ish to me when I saw it in the box, but I get it now, and all the details that need adding.

So, does that make her, by definition, a Patricia Lynn aircraft, or am I simplifying the whole thing?

That's an interesting frame on the ground in front of the nose. Something to do with access to the open nose?

I like stuff like that, far better giving us fittings like that instead of a boxfull of bombs and missiles! (Yeah,like Peace,Man...)

Rod you're right she is a Patricia Lynn aircraft the was the project name for the RB.57E's. The nose in the 1/72 and 1/48 kit are not quite right what Airfix give you is in fact the Pee Wee 1 and 2 nose but that's a story for another day. If you want a sneak preview of what I'll be doing take a look at my 1/48 build 1/48 RB.57E The frame is the crew entry ladder it's quite a big bit of kit. 

10446351_10152818546351323_3549241028301

John

Edited by canberra kid
added photo :)
  • Like 7

Cheers John did not know if you used a tape as well as the straight edge, keep up the good work.

Guy

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Every picture tells another little story, doesn't it?

Yep seen that build, like it! 

Enjoying this too.🌟🌟🌟

Thanks Rob

They do indeed, and there are so many photos a oh so many story's, many yet to be fully told.

12 hours ago, F4u said:

Cheers John did not know if you used a tape as well as the straight edge, keep up the good work.

Guy

Sorry Guy , yes I do use Dymo tape for the tricky curvy bits on the fuselage.

John 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back to it after a short brake in North Wales, I've been working on the wings. The first job was modifying the gas vents on the engine fronts, like much of the kit Italeri managed to get this wrong, but so did Airfix. Unlike the Avon powered Canberra that employed the same black powder starter system, the B.57's Wright J.65 only had one gas vent, the kit has two. It's a fairly easy job to chop one off and re dress the compressor disc to look something like.

IMG_1799_zps5et9xbwc.jpg

IMG_1800_zpsglqqq2bu.jpg

The front of the nacelles on the FROG wing need trimming back to match the diameter of the Italeri compressor discs which is good as the nacelles are a tab too long. I've also fitted the resin wheel bays and joined the wings, they will need some filling as there are a few sink marks on the flaps and wing tips.

IMG_1805_zps5y63qkht.jpg

The fuselage has had a good looking over and a coat of grey primer to show up any panel lines that need fixing there are some but not too many, which is nice! As you'll see in the next photo I tried out the parts to see how she looks, she measures out out about 6 inches too long.

IMG_1804_zpshcgv7plm.jpg

John

• Like 6

I've watched a few videos of these things starting up. I'm thinking experienced ground crew knew to stand up-wind!

Good grief, has anyone estimated the amount of damage done to the ozone layer over the years by Canberras and B57s?

Don't think they'd pass their emissions test for the next MOT!

Little shiny disc on the side of the cowl- has that anything to do with the cartridge starting system? 

• Like 1

Odd fact about starter cartridges,

When I first joined the RAF in '76,

I found there was never a plug in the bath's

in the barrack blocks. However, part of the

packaging for the starter cartridges included

a black rubber disc. Acquire one of those and

your bath nights were bliss!

Oh, nice modeling here, BTW.

(Sorry, I prefer the look of the B57 cockpit arrangement)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Odd fact about starter cartridges,

When I first joined the RAF in '76,

I found there was never a plug in the bath's

in the barrack blocks. However, part of the

packaging for the starter cartridges included

a black rubber disc. Acquire one of those and

your bath nights were bliss!

Oh, nice modeling here, BTW.

(Sorry, I prefer the look of the B57 cockpit arrangement)

That was a jolly good idea Pete, I use mine as a coaster for my special mug :)

IMG_1810%202_zps7ayk3kyg.jpg 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I've watched a few videos of these things starting up. I'm thinking experienced ground crew knew to stand up-wind!

Good grief, has anyone estimated the amount of damage done to the ozone layer over the years by Canberras and B57s?

Don't think they'd pass their emissions test for the next MOT!

Little shiny disc on the side of the cowl- has that anything to do with the cartridge starting system? 

In the early days there are story's of ground crew unfamiliar with the type running up to a starting Canberra and discharging the fire extinguisher into what they thought was a burning engine, much to the dismay of the flight crew! I think they changed the formula of the powder to be less smokie later on, I don't think the British ones were ever as bad. As for the silver disk, this is the outer grill for the gas vent, the Avon one is just a loverd disk the WJ.65 one has a little hud that deflects the smoke down(ish). The two types can been seen in the corresponding albums on my site.

John

17 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Very nice John. A build that's a lesson in differences between Canberra and  B-57: most plesasurable! 

:thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks Tony

There are quite a few differences between the two, more so with the B models but even the A's although visually very similar are very diferant in detail.

John

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Very nice John, what did you use to make the nose cone up?

Thanks James, I've used the old but accurate c-scale white metal nose, the only problem is it's not circular, but I think I can fix it to look ok with some filler, we'll see, if not I will have to modify the Airfix kit part like I did on my 1/48 RB.57E.

John  

• Like 3

I've now added the intakes for the engine driven generators, oddly despite this being a conversion of the B.57E which had a double generator on each engine the RB.57E has the single type as fitted to the B model. You can also see the filling on the flaps where the sinking had occurred. Other than a wee bit of re-scribing and a touch more filler, the wings are done. oh, there is also the gun camera window.

IMG_1811_zpsmjybwt2v.jpg

John     

Edited by canberra kid
missing word
  • Like 6

The broadness (is chord the right term?) of the wings in that above shot in relation to wing length is really quite something to behold John. Handsome looking work.

Tony

• Like 1

Hello,John - Those wings are nearly there and looking really superb.Nothing unusual or unexpected there then.Most admirable devotion and attention to detail for the subject.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The broadness (is chord the right term?) of the wings in that above shot in relation to wing length is really quite something to behold John. Handsome looking work.

Tony

You're right Tony it is the chord, it was one of the key features of the Canberra and one of the reasons she was so maneuverable at altitude.

22 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - Those wings are nearly there and looking really superb.Nothing unusual or unexpected there then.Most admirable devotion and attention to detail for the subject.

Thanks Paul, she's moving along which is nice! 

John

• Like 3

Those wings are looking great John , she certainly has a large chord the UK Canberra's that I saw displaying at shows were quite agile always remember a display at Duxford of the Coventry based jet which was great keeping the aircraft within the airfield boundary and zoom climbing with a nice wing over could have rolled quite easily .

Guy

• Like 1