Hi John,

I'll be signed up to watch this for sure!

Is that a certain "Patricia Lynn" metal nose I see there?

Also, don't forget the "corrected" engine fronts for the American style B-57's.

Ed Ellickson

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Hi John,

I'll be signed up to watch this for sure!

Is that a certain "Patricia Lynn" metal nose I see there?

Also, don't forget the "corrected" engine fronts for the American style B-57's.

Ed Ellickson

Thanks Ed, yes you do see the ED nose :) I'll be sorting out the engine fronts on the Italeri part so it has the single gas vent that it should have for the WJ.65 

John

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Interesting project didn't realize the Airfix kit was soooooooooooo wrong!

Love the Canberra shame the only UK flyer is up for sale/grounded!

Roger 

The main issue with the Airfix kit around the cockpit, I don't know what it was with Airfix and Canberra front ends! The other parts of the kit aren't as refined as the Italeri kit but with work can look ok. I'm hoping that by combining the best of both I'll end up with something like. As for the PR.9 I'm not optimistic about future as a flyer, the longer she's on the ground the the more it will cost to get her back in the sky and less likely that will be.

John  

• Like 3

Ive marked out the areas that will need re engraving which I've highlighted in black and the fictitious or not appropriate to the B.57 in red. the bits that I've not highlighted will be kept but rubbed down. It's a big job but I hope it will look better for it, if I don't mess up! :)

IMG_1675%202_zpswp6r2m76.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Ive marked out the areas that will need re engraving which I've highlighted in black and the fictitious or not appropriate to the B.57 in red. the bits that I've not highlighted will be kept but rubbed down. It's a big job but I hope it will look better for it, if I don't mess up! :)

IMG_1675%202_zpswp6r2m76.jpg

Hello,John - That's a fine bit of marking out. I admire your accuracy and attention to detail.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Darren Rhodes said:

That's some serious scribing there!  :goodjob: 

Darren

It is Darren, and that's the easy bit, I'll be looking at the fuselage tomorrow, the panels on the Airfix kit looks quite good in comparison to the drawings, but I've yet to take a proper look.

John  

The last bit of engraving on the wings(I hope) I've added the flair dispensers on what would have been the under side access hatch for the 20mm canons. The dispensers contain 108 photo flash flairs, this would mean 108 tiny holes to be drilled, on each side I may pass on that!

IMG_1677_zpsuyddkpcr.jpg

John  

• Like 5

Fuselage time, I've checked over what needs adding and what needs removing, surprisingly the Airfix B.57 shapes up well, in some ways better than the Italeri in the respect of the panes with just a few missing and a few needing removing. I've marked the new ones in blue and the ones that removing in red.

IMG_1679_zpsbueymxmz.jpg

John 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - Great progress and great work.Another example of text book research and dedication to,detail.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, it helps having a good library to fall back on. Unless I get home in the light next week, that will be it for this week, doing the engraving on the fuselage will be a much trickier prospect.

John

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Hi John,

Just out of curiosity -- and possible future need -- what drawing are you using on this project?

Ed

Hi Ed

I'm lucky, I have a good B.57 T.O. library, not just the dash one's but maintenance ones too, which as you know are a wealth of information, the best for panel detail is the repair one which I have, I've posted some of the drawings on my site.

John

On 05/02/2017 at 1:09 PM, canberra kid said:

The last bit of engraving on the wings(I hope) I've added the flair dispensers on what would have been the under side access hatch for the 20mm canons. The dispensers contain 108 photo flash flairs, this would mean 108 tiny holes to be drilled, on each side I may pass on that!

IMG_1677_zpsuyddkpcr.jpg

John  

Well that'll teach me wont it! After doing all this work it turns out the RB.57E I'm building doesn't have the photo flash dispensers in the wing but in the fuselage,as it the red circle in the photo, so it's out with the filler! The canon bay door needs to be retained.

photo%20flash_zpsbc6dcohh.jpg

Also of note is the lack of plumbing in the airbrake bay unlike the Airfix kit which has nice but wrong detail, all that effort for nothing.

John

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Great work on the wing re-scribing John - something that I will certainly refer back to when I get around to building the few that I have in the stash.

Phil

Thanks Phil, it's a much easier in 1/48! Don't forget to check which ine your building as the early B.57's had 8x50Cal. so had a diferant door arrangement.

John 

On 05/02/2017 at 7:36 PM, canberra kid said:

I've posted some of the drawings on my site.

John

And...

Where's this page?

Looks like I'll have to find two airfix B-57 to team them up with my two Italeri's.

Whatever, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Antoine said:

And...

Where's this page?

Looks like I'll have to find two airfix B-57 to team them up with my two Italeri's.

Whatever, keep up the good work.

In here maybe?

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14513584

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1