Sea/Lake/Pond Base Building

tc2324

You know me, I had an idea for a build so I have spent the last 4-5 days having a crack at building a base board for it.

A bit different from the norm as I need the subject to be low over the water.

Step 1.

Cut a bit of chipboard to size and then using watered down wood glue I started to apply layer upon layer of kitchen towel on to it. Once 5 layers had been applied, (I wanted it thick as this was meant to be more a sea dio rather than pond or lake one where less layers could be used), I used a paint brush and `dabbed` at the paper to create the waves and ripples. Admittedly this will be a very nice calm sea for my subject.

IMG_6306_zpsraxtivbx.jpg

This was then left to dry fully for a day and a half or so.

Step 2.

Painting.......,

IMG_6320_zpswokz6xbu.jpg

IMG_6314_zpscfrunprm.jpg

IMG_6318_zpsaykipvrj.jpg

I went to my local B&Q and opted for a `Marine` tester paint kit. Cheap and more than enough for my needs. 

Although not shown in these pictures, I then added dabs of green mixed with the blue to give it a bit more of a sea like feel.

Again, this was left for 24 hours to fully dry.

Step 3.

Gloss

Next came the glossing. It`s best to use a water based gloss, obviously the clear variety, with just the one layers added first. This is then followed by a layer of wood glue so that you add a bit of depth to the base as it fills in any small holes or indentation on it. Again once dry, you add a further 4 or 5 layers of the clear gloss to build up the layers and create that water type shine.

Now don`t be fooled by the following picture. It was taken directly after the first coat of clear water based gloss was added so this isn`t going to look like this when it`s dried out. 

IMG_6321_zps08vya201.jpg

Finished

When all is said and done, the base ends up looking like this....,

IMG_6342_zpskl2t9rm1.jpg

Ok, so it needs a bit of a tidy round the edges but I`m of the mind I might do another base and use this as a test bed base for future builds.

On closer inspection I think it looks about right.....,

IMG_6344_zpszyk7ws80.jpg

..... and throw in a model and level the camera, it starts to look even better.

IMG_6348_zps5rrqqr5y.jpg

IMG_6354_zpszj9ptv5c.jpg

Anyway, that`s my take on a water base build and I hope it showed you a reasonably simple way to complete one using mostly products you might find in your garage.

• Like 4

well considering is only scottex and paint, that sea turned out quite good, to be completely honest it looks like i can see the scottex pores here and there, that i think is something that should be fixed.

:penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:please tell me you're going to add sonic boom :penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

Would have been nice to have seen a Buccaneer. :D But that sea looks pretty good to me. There's not really much point in going for a hyper-realistic sea as it would detract from the bird. Oh and the bird is superb!

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers guys.

For a first time effort I was quite happy with it.

3 hours ago, cambridge said:

i can see the scottex pores here and there, that i think is something that should be fixed

Yep, noticed that after completion and something I can sort out when I do my second base. 

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Would have been nice to have seen a Buccaneer. :D 

Sshhhh....! You spoil the surprise for later. :D

• Like 1