.50 cal ammo belt

Nutsabout

On 29/01/2017 at 11:34 AM, longshanks said:

or if you want the dogs danglies................ as recommended by Dan to me

http://live-resin.com/w-a-s/menu-1/101-lre-35053-m2-browning-50-caliber-machine-gun-ammo-belts-set-1-35-scale.html

Kev

7 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I have some of the live resin ones. They look really nice. Unfortunately still not used them yet though. 

This might be a stupid question, but how do I buy from live resin, there doesn't seem to be any links on their website?

Thanks

Ian..

Lucky model in Hong Kong stock them and I think Accurate Armour here in the U.K.  have stocked them or some of the range.

I think luckymodel offer free shipping on the live resin products :thumbsup2:, I've bought from 

Lucky Model for the last 17 years with no problems.

Dan

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nutsabout said:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I buy from live resin, there doesn't seem to be any links on their website?

Thanks

Ian..

I'm not 100% sure where I got them from. Possibly Lucky model or somewhere similar. I have also used Lucky model for years with no hassle. They have free shipping on most upgrade, aftermarket, accessory stuff.

I have never used model display products so can't comment on them but they are UK.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Live-Resin-1-35-Lre-35053-M2-Browning-50-Caliber-Machine-Gun-Ammo-Belts-Set/1248984957

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=LRE35053

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=799

• Like 1

One of the problems with the Eduard etched belts is that they are very obviously flat, 2-dimensional.  It is noticeable, even reduced 35 times.  You can buy Live products direct at www.models-hobby.com.  I've bought direct several times, always reliable, never out of stock.  Often have discounts on (seem to have 10% off right now), and shipping is reasonable.  Their 0.50" belts are very good, and they do spent cases and links too. On an SAS Jeep most of the links would have gone over the side (right hand ejection) but the scuttle and footwell must have filled up with spent cases quickly (downward ejection).  Live's M2 MG's are excellent too, but of course wrong barrel for an SAS jeep: you'd need a Master brass AN/M2 barrel with the full cooling jacket.  This is probably a bit late in the day, but Gas Patch do some really good Vickers K's in 1/35.  But by the time you've bought all this lot you've tripled the cost of the kit!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutsabout said:

Thanks

Ian..

Can I suggest Model Display Products: MDP Link - I've used them a couple of time and they provide a very fast and efficient turnaround.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

I think I will need to have a go at the Live Resin belts, but can I justify getting the spent cases & links :shrug:

I did think the detail on the Tamiya weapons was a little poor but probably good enough for my skills.

First build since I was a kid, nearly complete so will post pics once its done.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ian..

On 30/01/2017 at 11:42 PM, Das Abteilung said:

But by the time you've bought all this lot you've tripled the cost of the kit!

Murphy's fourteenth law of modelling in a sentence :)

11 hours ago, Nutsabout said:

Thanks Guys,

I think I will need to have a go at the Live Resin belts, but can I justify getting the spent cases & links :shrug:

I did think the detail on the Tamiya weapons was a little poor but probably good enough for my skills.

First build since I was a kid, nearly complete so will post pics once its done.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ian..

If you don't need the links, RB Model produce a set of 20 "empty shells for M2 Browning" which are available from a number of Ebay sellers for a more reasonable price.

• Like 1

And the RB ones don't need painting, either.  Just a dark wash to tone the brightness down.  Cartridge brass is quite dull.  If you're after RB products - and perhaps that Master barrel or the Gas Patch guns - I can recommend Jadar Hobby in Warsaw.  www.jadarhobby.pl.  I've used them a lot and found them to be utterly reliable and reasonably priced, and they don't muck about with fictitious stock levels.  In fact I'm waiting for a large parcel right now.  Depending how much you buy, you might get better value by paying in Zloty - but you can't do this by PayPal: card only.  I saved about £30 on my order by doing this compared to the € price, even allowing for the card currency fee.  Not every exchange rate plummeted after the EU referendum.

Related question, please.

What would you expect to see written on the outside of the .50 cal ammo box  in the back of my SAS Jeep in North Africa?

Thanks.

PS. If this Jeep turns out anything like what the real thing looked like it will be down to this forum.

I would say that the ammo would of produced in the US so Archer decals do a nice set of WWII era dry rub down decals.

You can get these from historex agents in Dover. They are about £5 

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR77009.html

I used them on my M4 Sherman build 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997677-tamiya-m4a3-75mm-sherman/&page=11

• Like 1

Pictures seem to show two types of 0.50" box in use - neither of them the "classic" US Army "ammo can" type.  Some mounts had the original aircraft mount box attached (100rds?): these were aircraft guns after all.  The ammo boxes and ring/bead sights indicate that they came from flexible mounts like waist guns rather than turret or wing guns.   Those boxes were technically part of the aircraft and were filled with belted rounds from larger bulk boxes.  They were probably not marked at all as ammunition wasn't shipped in them.  The other type seen, sat on the scuttle (and probably bolted down??), looks to be the early US wooden type with a half-hinged lid.  They came in varying shades of mid-dark brown and one of the Archer decals is probably OK for these.  Spare ammo was most probably in those same wooden boxes.

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but from what I have read one of their first jobs after forming was to "acquire" kit so I suspect nothing would match.

I think I will add some generic text to the boxes to give an essence of what was used.