Airfix 1/72 B17G (RAF MKIII). I've deleted the pictures by mistake!

Hi Ant

yestetday I could've chucked it in the bin - however the damage wasn't anywhere near as bad as I first thought, the spar has  mended nicly and the glass is back in and thankfully nothing came loose inside the fuselage. So on wards and upwards.

cheers

iain

• Like 3

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hi Ant

yestetday I could've chucked it in the bin - however the damage wasn't anywhere near as bad as I first thought, the spar has  mended nicly and the glass is back in and thankfully nothing came loose inside the fuselage. So on wards and upwards.

cheers

iain

Good to hear it's not too bad Iain. There's nothing worse than seeing all that hard work, time and effort go to pot! 

• Like 1

On 2017-5-2 at 9:25 PM, Mozzy19 said:

Lovely job. I'd love one of these if I had somewhere to put it :shrug:

Sean

17 hours ago, pheonix said:

Glad you have managed to recover it and brought the project to an (almost) successful conclusion.

P

Cheers gents.

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again

I must be going down with something as Ive just spent another hour in my workshop.....and I really enjoyed it! I think I've gone as far with the weathering as I dare and I've started to add some of the antenna's to the airframe.

My B17 will be finished as a generic 100 Gp airframe and as such I'm using "Aircraft of 100 Group" by Robert Hale. So far I've added whip aerials to the wings for Piperack and a whip aerial to the nose that was present on some Fortress III aircraft.

I'll add receiver aerials to the tail for Monica and I've started to make the transmitter aerial for the Monica system and finally I've drilled out holes in the upper fuselage for the twin wire radio aerials....

34726560432_2dde42a6a5_b.jpg

34726580552_12165c76a5_b.jpg

34503040180_882fae753d_b.jpg

34850056436_2d5875a2b5_b.jpg

34047176624_0e267c67ee_b.jpg

34758151611_a59461cec6_b.jpg

34758176911_d6a4a8c36a_b.jpg

Hopefully I'll keep up the impetus and spend more time on my Fortress III over the next few days - you never know I might even finish her!

Cheers

Iain 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

That is wonderfully subtle - a first class job indeed.

P

10 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great job

Gents thank you very much, its appreciated.

Iain 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well she's 99.999999% finished! I just need to order some more EZ line to add the aerial wires to the tail and I'm done. It's been a long (my fault) build but the Airfix kit goes together very, very nicely indeed and builds into a very pleasing model of the legendary B17....

34902133462_e2cc9224c7_b.jpg

34935175861_27f4e0f213_b.jpg

34682349090_f4cacb1971_b.jpg

35029843196_91f9be5266_b.jpg

35029843316_ec280d7772_b.jpg

34226269414_4e6bcec4fb_b.jpg

Ill post some better pictures in due course.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 12

She's a beaut Iain! Congrats mate. 

Cant help with the ez line have never used it myself, I'm sure someone will be along soon. 

34 minutes ago, Antb said:

She's a beaut Iain! Congrats mate. 

Cant help with the ez line have never used it myself, I'm sure someone will be along soon. 

Hey Ant

Good to hear from you mate. Thank you! Ive made her look rather worn and unloved as the photos Ive seen of RAF B17s seems to show them this way. Ive found and ordered some EZ line so hopefully she will be 100% finished in the near future.

All the best

Iain

• Like 1

Cracking! Love a RAF B-17. 

I think you've got the cheek guns and forward glazing on the wrong way round though - on the G model the gun blisters are in the forward most position on the left and in the middle on the right. 

I have this this in my stash and I must say seeing this is tempting me to have a go at it. 

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Super model. It looks to me as though Airfix have scored another winner here - well at least they have in your hands.

P

24 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Lovely build, a real beauty! :thumbsup: 

I recently got some EZ line from here: http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/ez-line-rigging-thread-charcoal-100-feet-fine-0.12mm.html

Sean

Cheers gents thank you.

7 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Cracking! Love a RAF B-17. 

I think you've got the cheek guns and forward glazing on the wrong way round though - on the G model the gun blisters are in the forward most position on the left and in the middle on the right. 

I have this this in my stash and I must say seeing this is tempting me to have a go at it. 

Tom

Hi Tom

You know what I never even noticed that there was a difference 😳 How embarrassing is that! Oh well not to worry it can be our little secret 👍. It is however a lovely kit which represents the B17 beautifully.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Well I'm calling her finished.Its been an enjoyable, if a little protracted experience, Airfix have captured the look of the B17 superbly and the kit itself builds up very nicely indeed.

I'm annoyed with myself for making a few school boy errors especially getting the glazings for the check guns the wrong way round and I'm not very happy with the look of the twin aerial wires that go from the fuselage to the tail nor the M2 machine guns in the tail and mid upper turret, they could of done with being less splayed.

Once the weather is a little less frisky Ill take some better pictures in natural light. Anyway here are a few pictures to be going on with...

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

All the best

Iain

• Like 9

What a div - I've managed to delete all my pictures - thats what happens when you mess around with Flickr after you've had a glass of wine (or two)

I'll post some pictures in the RFI and try not to delete them!

Iain